PDA

View Full Version : The way a renderer should be FINAL RENDER STAGE-1

cavalos
08-18-2003, 10:41 AM
http://www.finalrender.com/products/products.asp?UD=10-7888-35-788&PID=36

Amazing features at a very good price...IMHO this kicks brazil's butt (except the quality of dispersion and caustics)

Can we have some of this soon?

Matt
08-18-2003, 12:23 PM
thought I'd never say it, but LightWave's renderer is starting to show it's age, we really need to see some major updates sooooon!

cavalos
08-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Amazing isn┤t?

What anyone could possibly need that is not included in such a renderer?

Ohh! did I mention FR can do instancing? :)

Red_Oddity
08-20-2003, 02:33 AM
I wouldn't have said this 2 years ago...but you guys are right...
Lightwave is really starting to show it's age...Newtek better do something about this (hopefully in LW[9]?...and hopefully that one will be released a bit early)

Still, it is better to do complex renders like these in piece of software designed just for that cause...
Remember, LW is still 'overall-out-of-the-box-off-the-shelve-in-it's-price-range' the best (see how the conditions have a changed a bit...)

Gordon
08-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Just remember that things are never all that the promo would have you believe.

They are quite ambiguous about their 'features'. No real hard fact about any of their supposed great new features. Out of the seven main features that they rave about; Lightwave already has most of the features, (their 'dispersion' feature looks nice). In fact the long feature list just sounds like they are starting to catch up to LW.

I know Lightwave renderer is good now and with the new effort being put into version 8, I still would bet that it will remain ahead of the pack.

cavalos
08-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Probably we have to wait for 8b or 8.5 to see renderer improvements...Listen to me! I DONĘT CARE but please NT don┤t forget to do something about this respect in the next revision of LW...The renderer is too important to us.

Best
Christian

mattclary
08-22-2003, 12:43 PM
I don't see anything there that I haven't seen something comparable turned out in LightWave. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an update to LW's renderer, but it's still holding it's own.

cavalos
08-23-2003, 09:48 AM
You're right...With some time and a lot of render tests you can make amazing images but that's exactly the the reason for an update don't you think?
Time is the most valuable resource when the deadlines comes and clients start to scream over your shoulder.
Anyone for instance can do amazing GI animations and renders using 8 bounces and montecarlo algorithm for perfect realism but the price is too high and nobody wants to wait for 300 frames at film resolution (even with the most powerfull today's computer)
LW renderer have a good set of features and a very good "look" that can wait another year but needs a lot of optimization before those new (and awaited) features arrive...That's urgent!

Best
Christian