PDA

View Full Version : saslite ???

DONGLE THIS!
08-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Hi, can anyone email a spline guide that is ready made.
I am tryin so hard, and nothing will work(feel like crying)
I just want to see how it is done with putting one spline guide in layout and adding saslite, so then i can clone them and make some grass.

please someone help me, i am new to this saslite thing.
and I just want to make one piece of hair with one spline guide.

Thanks so much.

Dodgy
08-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Create a one point polygon, give it a surface like 'root' and then create a spline in a background layer.

Copy the point poly, then use rail extrude with the spline in the background layer. This will create a chain of 2 point polys. Give them a new surface like 'hair', and then PASTE the one point poly back in. Merge it, with 'keep one point polys' on, and you'll end up with a string of 2 point polys with a one point poly at the end.

This is your guide hair. For a better method of creating these, for a full wig, check out my tutorial:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/saslite/index.html

hrgiger
08-18-2003, 10:22 AM
If you're just making grass, I wouldn't even use guide chains at all. I'd just use the fur feature.

However, Mikes method will work for you if you want to make guide chains.

However, I believe this is the easiest way to make guide chains and it's the method I use:

Under the create tab, use the points button and make a string of points however long you want your grass to be. Now in point mode, select each one in order and then make a curve (ctrl + p). Now use the curve2polychain plug-in that you'll find here: http://www.terryf.dsl.pipex.com/htm/frameplugins.shtml This will make you a guide hair that will work with sasquatch. Leave the names of the root and the hair at their defaults. Now you just enter Hair under the sas panel where it says make long hair with hair guides. That's it.

DONGLE THIS!
08-18-2003, 04:30 PM
Hey guys, I would just like to thanks you guys for all your hard work on helping me on sas light and all the other things that I had problems with.

both of your methods worked good. I really like what hrgiger
told me about that plug-in.

thanks both of you so much.

hrgiger, do i always have to put a name for chain surface and root surface
this is what I used.
for chain surface: HAIR
for root surface:ROOT
and it worked, the first couple of times it didnt, dont know why??
please advise...
thanks

txbob
08-18-2003, 04:33 PM
I recently went through sas hell, trying to make a bunch of realistic hair styles... The Worley web site has some really good tutorials.

Dodgy
08-18-2003, 05:07 PM
It doesn't matter what you call the root poly's surface, as long as it's connected to the hair poly chain, it's basically there to tell sas which end to draw the hair from, hence you only need to input the 'hair' surface name into the sas panel. I would check that your one point poly is still there and attached to your guide chain.

I used to use the spline to poly plug, but found the growth method easier to populate a full head of hair. I use that method pretty much exclusively now. The plugin is useful for a few hairs, but then you have to multiply those around the head and it can get cumbersome. With the growth method, you're only styling a very few hairs, then using them to grow the bulk of the guides out.

hrgiger
08-18-2003, 09:16 PM
I'm with you Mike. I just think for a beginner with Sas guides, it's easier to understand making a curve chain and and using the curve2poly plug-in.

I actually still use the plug-in. I just make curves over half the head, run the plug-in, and then mirror them over to the other side and tweak to taste. Might be quicker ways but no way is quicker then the way you're used to...