PDA

View Full Version : Modeler Zoom Limits

DCordes
04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
OK this may be totally stupid, but I've been having trouble after importing basic objects from other apps and not being able to zoom into the verts to continue modeling. Is there a zoom limit that I'm missing?

One object in question is a basic box with a UV attached, it's 6 meters square.

DC

Hopper
04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Shift+A will zoom extents when all or nothing is selected. Select a group of point, polys or edges and use Shift+A to zoom to all selected.

DCordes
04-04-2009, 02:08 PM
That unfortunately doesn't work. I've been dealing with this issue for about a week and it doesn't make sense.

I can select a vert and shift+a and it will not zoom in any closer.

Hopper
04-04-2009, 02:19 PM
In points mode you need to select two or more.

DCordes
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Understood, but that doesn't work. It will not allow me to zoom in any closer. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Hopper
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Sounds like you've exhausted all the normal avenues of zoom.

Does this happen only when importing other models or with everything? Maybe your grid units or Default Unit is set weird in your display settings.

Reset your Default Unit to meters and see if that does anything. If it's already there, change it, exit Modeler, reopen it, then change it back and see if that has any affect.

-EsHrA-
04-05-2009, 05:05 AM
center your object.... F2..

mlon

Captain Obvious
04-05-2009, 05:34 AM
The further away you are from origin, the less you can zoom in.

DCordes
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM
You're not called "Captain Obvious" for nothing, are you? That's it.

This model has world space coordinates applied to it (another country actually). Changing those is not an option.

Allrighty then....

multipass
04-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I've encountered this alot and it sucks. hopefully core will rememdy it.

My workaround is to scale it to like 10x based on the origin. then do your modeling. then scale it back down 10x based on origin when you are done.

ingo
04-06-2009, 06:05 AM
I've encountered this alot and it sucks. hopefully core will rememdy it. .....

I dont think so, this is quite common when importing files. I get a lot of CAD data that is placed at the end of the universe so i have to move it first to 0/0/0 .

multipass
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
im talking about things at 0/0/0

MUCUS
04-10-2009, 05:09 AM
What's happen if you try to hide geometry you don't need to work on then shift A? (Or maybe better isolate the geometry you are working on a single layer?)

zardoz
04-10-2009, 09:21 AM
hmm guys this has to do with the hardware and it is a common limitation to every 3d software (except autocad maybe)
in any 3d application if you create geometry far from the origin (0,0,0) you will not be able to zoom on it a lot. And this happens a lot with imported geometry, because sometimes it comes huge and far from the origin. So center the geometry and check it's size and you will be able to zoom on it.

If you play games maybe you have noticed in 1st person shooters if you have some kind of sniper weapon and you zoom far this also happens...if you zoom in at some wall with maybe a poster in it, the game's engine may have problems showing this postercard correctly because of zdepth errors. Better video cards fix part of this.

And I doubt that core will fix it.

-EsHrA-
04-10-2009, 09:36 AM
i dont believe any software will fix it because its related to the cpu and its calculations.

mlon

Captain Obvious
04-10-2009, 05:53 PM
i dont believe any software will fix it because its related to the cpu and its calculations.

mlon
Well, uh, not quite. In modo, you can get around that by adjusting the workplane. However, if you zoom in too close to geometry far away from origin, you get rounding errors in the display and all the vertices start fuzzing around and stuff like that. But at least you can actually zoom in!

lwanmtr
04-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes, there is a limit to zooming in, which is based on the size of the object...I have often been working on some objects that are hundreds of meters in size and can only zoom in so far, which can be annoying if you have to select points without selecting some very near it.