PDA

View Full Version : What happens if your dongle is stolen?

CC Rider
04-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Came home from work yesterday and my back door had been kicked in.
Robbers took a laptop, Blu-ray player, camera and some other misc stuff along with my friggin USB dongle! I can only assume they must have thought it was a flash drive or something. Its totally useless to them. I'm so mad I can't see straight!
Anyone know NT policy on replacements? Also had FPrime attached to it as well.
I have police report...
I guess I'll give them a call on Monday.

Phil
04-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Police report is all that customer service should need. It's then a dongle replacement (probably with a fee, which you might get on insurance) and they will notify plugin vendors so that you get new codes. At least, for those developers who are still alive (for example, if you have Dynamite, you might be out of luck).

SBowie
04-04-2009, 01:43 PM
For any dongle-protected software, normally the dongle effectively represents your copy of the application and your right to use it. When someone steals the dongle, they have stolen your program, just like they took your laptop. Insurance should cover both. Regardless, you should report the theft to Customer Service, as they may be able to keep an eye out for someone requesting an upgrade, registered name change, that sort of thing. And it's always possible they may be able to offer some relief.

Jockomo
04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Technically your homeowner's insurance should cover it.
But definitely give them a call.

JMCarrigan
04-04-2009, 01:54 PM
If you manage not killing yourself, you should be fine. Take the steps recommended and you should be back up and running in no time.

hrgiger
04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I would hunt the thief down. First I would string him up with piano wire...

colkai
04-05-2009, 04:21 AM
Sheesh HR, that's a bit tame, come on, he stole the guys frikkin' LW, how about a slow death by 1000 cuts? :D

SBowie
04-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Sheesh HR, that's a bit tame, come on, he stole the guys frikkin' LW, how about a slow death by 1000 cuts? :DI think booleans would be more appropriate ...

hrgiger
04-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Sheesh HR, that's a bit tame, come on, he stole the guys frikkin' LW, how about a slow death by 1000 cuts? :D

That's why I added the ... at the end. I was afriad women, small children, or the elderly might be reading this.

CC Rider
04-05-2009, 08:19 AM
To top this all off...my wife and I had just come back from having to have our cat put to sleep. Anybody who has had to deal with that before knows how hard that is. We stopped at the store to get some wine on the way home so we could drink our way through a depressing weekend and have to come home to deal with this.
Could not have been a worse weekend.

The piano wire suggestion sounds like a pretty good start to me.

OnlineRender
04-05-2009, 09:01 AM
feel your pain mate ,sorry to hear about your cat , were in the process of getting either rid of our collie ****** , or give her to a new home , shes getting to old and snappy,and ive got two small kids .
our house got broken into last year by some junkie scum , felt sick they stole anything electrical or anything that looked of value ,including my spare car keys .

If you have contents insurance claim it all back , infact spec your laptop up a little ,also you had Core ! installed including every app you have ever bought or owned .
you pay insurance now its time the insurance paid you . . .

chin up , keep a calm head , and look on ebay for you laptop , it wouldnt suprise me !

SBowie
04-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear that. :(

You may want to postpone seeing "Marley and Me" for a few months ...

ELinder
04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
I've never understood why you would get a new dongle with a new number. Why can't Newtek have your old dongle number written onto the new dongle so all your old plugins still work?

Erich

Hopper
04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
To top this all off...my wife and I had just come back from having to have our cat put to sleep. Anybody who has had to deal with that before knows how hard that is. We stopped at the store to get some wine on the way home so we could drink our way through a depressing weekend and have to come home to deal with this.
Could not have been a worse weekend.
Think of it in a more positive way. You stopped at the store, giving the thieves more time to get out of your house before you got back. I would rather come back to a house that's been robbed, not "being" robbed - unless I could get the police there fast enough to get my stuff back.

You may have saved yourself more trouble than you think.

I've never understood why you would get a new dongle with a new number. Why can't Newtek have your old dongle number written onto the new dongle so all your old plugins still work?
NT doesn't assign the dongle numbers. They come with the numbers burned into them already.

zapper1998
04-06-2009, 03:54 PM
You hunt the individual down, and then you cover him in honey, tie him down to the ground, then let the ant's feed on him....

Na just kidding
Call the police..
Call newtek support and get new dongle..

A few years agao same thing, They broke into car, Stole Laptop with dongle, My insurance covered the laptop and dongle..
My Home Owners Insurance covered all of it, my Car insurance did not cover it.. arrgghhh
My car is now covered under my homeowners insurance..

Dexter2999
04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm no expert on dongles, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to "flash" program them. I had a dongle issue with my Avid at work and they sent me a utility to reprogram it with the new numbers I needed to switch from Avid Express Pro to Media Composer.

Hopper
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm no expert on dongles, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to "flash" program them. I had a dongle issue with my Avid at work and they sent me a utility to reprogram it with the new numbers I needed to switch from Avid Express Pro to Media Composer.
It all depends on who made the hardware, but yes - they are usually modifiable.

OnlineRender
04-07-2009, 03:07 AM
anything with firmware , even your cheap mp3 bought from wall market or as we call it ASDA can be broken or cracked , sometime its a matter of using software and your pc , other times you may need to j-tag it using serial port . "or so ive been told " but that isnt the issue at hand , claim it all back , what comes around goes around " circle theroy" .

DiedonD
04-07-2009, 05:30 AM
And what happens if its not insured?

colkai
04-07-2009, 05:34 AM
If you're not insured, you're hosed, time to buy a new copy of LW.

Just as you would be if anything else was stolen and not insured, including any other software.

That said, I would put a small bet on Newtek being a tad more sympathetic than say MSoft if you wanted to replace your O/S or office package.

Chuck
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
If you're not insured, you're hosed, time to buy a new copy of LW.

Just as you would be if anything else was stolen and not insured, including any other software.

That said, I would put a small bet on Newtek being a tad more sympathetic than say MSoft if you wanted to replace your O/S or office package.

I hope we are a tad more sympathetic. With a police report, we just charge the replacement cost of the dongle and the shipping/handling. We don't feel that either the user or the insurance company really should have to purchase a new package in the event of theft.

CC, call customer services and arrange to fax in a copy of the report, and they will get you squared away on the dongle replacement. We're sorry to hear of your loss, and the theft of your goods on top of that is just egregious.

skate23
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM
that's another gold star newtek...:newtek:

i like this forum more n more

best wishes cc, hope your wavin soon:thumbsup::lwicon:

CC Rider
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Chuck,
That's really nice to hear. Thanks very much. I will get in touch with CS as soon as I get the police report.
I didn't actually discover the dongle was missing until after the police left so I'm waiting for them to add it the report. It may take a day or so.
It was a bit challenging to communicate to the insurance company just what a dongle is...they were not very tech savvy so it was an interesting conversation to say the least.
The adjuster actually didn't even know what a "Blu-ray" player was so I knew the "dongle" concept would throw them for a loop!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. We're all one big family here aren't we.

:thumbsup:

Nicolas Jordan
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I always wondered how that worked if someone stole my dongle since I live in a rough neighborhood that is prone to break ins and other random acts. That's very good customer service and seems very fair. :thumbsup:

I have a rottweiler/shepherd cross guarding the house so I'm hoping that will keep the bad guys away. There are bones accumulating in the backyard but I'm not really sure how they got there or where they are coming from. ;)

CC Rider
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
That's probably the best deterent you could have!
I have a cat (had 3, now we have 1) but he has somehow gotten a bad reputation as "not being very ferocious" so the crooks see that as a green light I guess...

CC Rider
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Here is a note I got from Worley...looks very promising from both NT and Worley. Nice for these two companies to treat us like human beings!

"When you receive your replacement dongle from NewTek, please send us some confirmation from NewTek concerning the replacement. You can FAX us a receipt( 650-322-8349 ) or have someone from NewTek contact us to confirm the replacement. After receving the confirmation from NewTek, we'll give you a new FPrime license for your replacement dongle.

-Worley Labs
[email protected]"

:thumbsup:

OnlineRender
04-07-2009, 12:36 PM
you had core didnt you :P and vue and ................

CC Rider
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Sure did...they got my 3 year pre-paid subscription to HardCore and everything! Will it ever end!
...oh yeah, and my brand new LED HDTV too...yeah that's it...

Soth
04-10-2009, 02:48 AM
I hope we are a tad more sympathetic. With a police report, we just charge the replacement cost of the dongle and the shipping/handling. We don't feel that either the user or the insurance company really should have to purchase a new package in the event of theft.

:newtek::thumbsup:
That is why I will never buy enything from Autodesk (incliding future XSI upgrades), if you buy anything from them you cannot sell it, and even worse, if you emmigrate to different country your licence is gone. That is just a sad joke.

Stel
04-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Likley they don't even know what the dongle is and will throw it away. They wanted the laptop etc. and had no idea that there was any high end software on it at all.

CC Rider
04-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Here's another tidbit that makes it even more confusing:
LW isn't even installed on the laptop they stole, and the dongle wasn't anywhere near the laptop. The dongle was plugged into my desktop machine which was in my office upstairs. (I have to have my dual monitor setup to do anything in LW...laptop just doesn't get it for me...it was my wife's computer) The only thing they touched in my office was the dongle and a small point and shoot digital camera. So the dongle is even more of a waste. Its out there somewhere with no software.

On a much happier note, NT shipped my replacement with no hassel whatsoever and FPrime has the same policy, so I'll be good to go in a few days.

Thanks Newtek!
:D

massmusic
04-11-2009, 04:47 PM
CCR Sorry to learn of all your troubles. Thinking about a lost dongle with no purpose....Hmmm sounds like an idea for a film...Oh forgot, Toy Story 1. Or was it the film about that mouse? Oh well....

Matt
04-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Really sorry to hear, I've been burgled before when I was a student. It's a horrible feeling knowing someone has been rummaging through your stuff.

Thieves are such low scum.

They probably thought it was a USB drive, and took it. Imagine their frustration when they can't get it work! A little payback, small, but nice all the same!

colkai
04-14-2009, 10:02 AM

Colour me NOT surprised! ;) :D