PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave...

skywalker113
04-04-2009, 12:08 PM
All of the students nearby me in my 3d class says lightwave sucks. I cant find any lightwave books in any book stores. And a 3d max high school instructor I visited said there are no big time movies that uses lightwave, and that I need to get blender, max, maya ect, experience in order to get hired.

Is all of this true?

Hopper
04-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Then ask him why he doesn't consider the following movies "bigtime" ?

* Tropic Thunder
* The Dark Knight
* Eagle Eye
* Nim's Island
* Hancock
* Jumper
* The Ruins
* Iron Man

Just because he doesn't know, doesn't make him correct.

All of the students nearby me in my 3d class says lightwave sucks.
People believe what they are told becuase most are lemmings by default. It "has" to be true if everyone else is saying it.
Ask how many have "actually" used it. - And not "well I tried it for a couple of hours" or "A friend of mine used it once".

The flip side of that is Max, Maya, etc. hold the market share, so what he says about experience in those applications is true. If you are good at what you do, the actual tools won't matter while you do your job, but when you're looking for that job, it will. Outside of networking, demo reels and résumés will be all that matters.

taleequale
04-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Lightwave is used in more producuctions than those known..

Hopper
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Lightwave is used in more producuctions than those known..
True. Just because every movie with CG effects doesn't splash a big "THIS MOVIE WAS MADE WITH LIGHTWAVE", doesn't mean that it didn't play a part - either big or small. 3D apps are just tools - each with their special capabilities and shortcommings. I would guess that most CG production studios use them all. Whatever gets the job done right.

LightWave doesn't have mass marketing budgets behind them, so many might just assume "it sucks" just because they don't hear it enough. This is the same with just about any product.

And without knowing his background, I'd say a your average high school instructor is just about as qualified as I am to make judgements on LightWave's usage in the industry (which is about the same level of qualification I have about brain surgery recommendations).

frantbk
04-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Then ask him why he doesn't consider the following movies "bigtime" ?

* Tropic Thunder
* The Dark Knight
* Eagle Eye
* Nim's Island
* Hancock
* Jumper
* The Ruins
* Iron Man

* Tropic Thunder = a movie labeled too racial for good taste :twak:
* The Dark Knight = The leading man was the second banana? :D
* Eagle Eye = Tried to be an action hero figure, but failed movie :D
* Nim's Island = Too kiddie for even a kiddies movie?
* Hancock = Bland ending that left the audience wishing for
something else
* Jumper = Too much of the movie spent setting up for sequels
* The Ruins = I'm ruined, I haven't see it, or heard anything about it.
* Iron Man = Now there is a man that knows how to wear a suite.
Sad that the best bad guy in ages was killed off.

G-Man
04-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Skywalker, if you are have any doubts, go online and do the research yourself. The interenet is full of examples showing off what Lightwave can and has been used for. By simply going onto the Lightwave 3D website there is a list of movies plus some excellent profiles on the making of 300 and 24 and how integral Lightwave plays a role in it. Ignorance feeding ignorance is exactly why this teacher has this opinion. Don't let the virus continue.

Ask this teacher why Digital Domain has produced it's latest commercials for Hoda "Fit" and Lexus "City" in Lightwave. They could have used any package and chose Lightwave. I will admit that Lightwave does not have the market share that Maya and 3DS Max enjoy, but that doesn't mean there aren't jobs and or needs for Lightwave artists.

Maybe this teacher should have looked into using Lightwave and got a job in the real world instead of teaching about it using Maya.

Jockomo
04-04-2009, 01:50 PM
A 3d max high school instructor I visited said...

They teach 3d max in high school? Ask your high school teacher how many "big time" movies he's worked on... and if he knows so much, why is he teaching high school... lol

if your teacher knew what he was talking about he would have told you to become familiar with as many programs as you can and to practice on what you can afford. He would have said that software is a tool and the talent is in the person who is wielding it.

*Pete*
04-04-2009, 03:36 PM
All of the students nearby me in my 3d class says lightwave sucks. I cant find any lightwave books in any book stores. And a 3d max high school instructor I visited said there are no big time movies that uses lightwave, and that I need to get blender, max, maya ect, experience in order to get hired.

Is all of this true?

If LW sucks, why does the best organic modeller use LW? (Taron)

if LW sucks, why is it propably the best product for a small studio/freelance tool?

there are countless of stories on when one product (not LW) was chosen to create something, failed and then LW was brought in to rescue the show.

sure, feature by feature comparison..well, LW might not be the best out there, but what is more difficult to compare is ease of use...if in app X you spend twice the time in modelling and in app Y, then it really doesnt matter which one has more or better features...its which one delivers on time that is the better.

modelling in LW is fast and easy, rendering is a nobrainer to set up for excellent (one of the best) quality, its surfacing is top notch (disregarding uv tools).

all apps have flaws, naturally...but simply comparing the qualities of applications based on features or abilities is not enough...what matters is what can be done with it and how long it does take.

over at CGTalk some time ago, they had a lighting competion with candles..and it was about the time when we got sss shaders into 9.x series.

i saw great and not so great results from all participants, most relied on sss shaders for the candle wax and often with good results...but the best result was by Otacon..LW user, he used a simple gradient for the sss effect, not an sss shader.

so comparing features, one could say that an app with sss is better than one without (LW has many, so now it is the best :D), but features matter little..it is all about getting to the finish line first.

speed and ease of use is for me sign of quality in an application...that more so than anything else, as long as it can deliver quality matching its competition.

*Pete*
04-04-2009, 03:40 PM
and yeah...people speak badly about Lw...penis envy perhaps, LW users get the prettiest girls.

Andrewstopheles
04-04-2009, 03:59 PM
300 used Lightwave as well.
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/film.php
Check that page often, it is updated frequently with new film projects.

Iain
04-04-2009, 04:00 PM
* Tropic Thunder = a movie labeled too racial for good taste :twak:
* The Dark Knight = The leading man was the second banana? :D
* Eagle Eye = Tried to be an action hero figure, but failed movie :D
* Nim's Island = Too kiddie for even a kiddies movie?
* Hancock = Bland ending that left the audience wishing for
something else
* Jumper = Too much of the movie spent setting up for sequels
* The Ruins = I'm ruined, I haven't see it, or heard anything about it.
* Iron Man = Now there is a man that knows how to wear a suite.
Sad that the best bad guy in ages was killed off.

* frantkb = Troll whose posts help no-one and shed light on absolutely nothing.

Sad that our gadfly wannabes are so hopelessly inept.

skywalker113, the only part of your original question that is worth bothering about is that yes, experience with other applications is probably more important to get hired.

The more you can learn, the better, LW included. A huge amount of studios use LW but very few of them would list it as their main app. Take from that what you will-it serves a lot of people very well.

lwanmtr
04-04-2009, 04:10 PM
LOL...I hear these kinds of statements all the time....Of course, I did something to curb some of it...

When I was attending the art institute of seattle, I managed to introduce alot of the animation students (at least the ones I felt worthy) to the joys of lightwave...in fact, during our production team classes, the projects I was part of came out at a much higher quality and completion because Lightwave was part of our pipeline (ok, so i had to do the rendering, cause no one else had the program or experience with it)...but we managed to produce some great stuff...while the folks who stuck with max and maya were still struggling with getting good SD stuff...

The program director would have like to teach LW, but they are not able to teach any Newtek products (wouldnt elaborate why)...and near the time I was graduating, we were even getting some instructors who were lightwave users.

But, hey...sometimes it's good to be the unknown underdog...then we cna be known as miracle workers when we manage to produce something amazing ahead of schedule...LOL

IMI
04-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Between you and Hopper, I'm not sure who makes me literally LOL more. :thumbsup:

IMI
04-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Left out Titanic, too.
OK, yeah it was a chick flick, but the ship was a LW model, far as I know.

Mike_RB
04-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Regarding Iron Man, we rendered our shots with the Mark 1 suit in LW 9.3. modo for modelling/uv/texturepainting/baking and XSI for animation.

jasonwestmas
04-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I use it so it must be good.

Iain
04-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Left out Titanic, too.
OK, yeah it was a chick flick, but the ship was a LW model, far as I know.

* Titanic = movie about a ship that sank. Lose, lose, lose.

frantbk
04-04-2009, 05:05 PM
* frantkb = Troll whose posts help no-one and shed light on absolutely nothing.

For a guy who seems so confused by his classmates view's and his professors comments on lightwave. Skywalker113 didn't have any problem coming to the NewTek site, registering and posting his dilemma. What kind of un-bias response do you think he would receive here? Well of course your professors right - take a chill pill and give your brain a chance to work it out. he isn't here for answer, what he wants is positive re-enforcement that Lightwave doesn't suck because that is his favorite application (which lightwave doesn't suck).

The fact that your bent 45 degrees south of stupid about my comments on these movies is the really sad part. Also Lightwave wasn't the only application used on all of the movies listed. Why don't you tell skywalker113 that? And why don't you ask skywalker113 why his professor doesn't know that?
the fact that his professor seems to be limiting skyalker113 of information about the field of interest skywalker113 is interested in seems to be skywalker113's major problem here. Why don't you give skywalker113 the advice that he should limit his professor's influence and his professor limiting advice and stop listening to his classmates who are in the same boat his is in. A bunch of classmate noobies that don't know jack about what they are talking about.

My advice to skywalker113 is the same my father gave me "If you want to be a rich man listen to rich men. if you want to know about 3D application in movies than go find blogs where people using 3D application are posting and listen to what they have to say, and don't interrupt them." Also don't ask them 100,000 question about the industry because that's not their job to explain everything to you.

Iain
04-04-2009, 05:17 PM
The fact that your bent 45 degrees south of stupid about my comments on these movies is the really sad part.

What relevance did your intellectually superior comments on those movies have to this thread? None.
What humour or ironic distraction did they provide? None.

It was just the usual ineffective one-up-manship effort you learn to expect from trolls.

JonW
04-04-2009, 05:37 PM
LW has a stack of tutorials on this site, which is more than equal to a stack of books.

If one has a question there are many many gold mines of experience amongst the vast number of exceptionally talented people here, and you will get many points of views and feed back to your challenging questions.

No tool is perfect for everything, but for a lot of people LW has the right balance between price and performance.

I for one only use a miniscule portion of what LW can do. It would take me many years to get even remotely close to what so many achieve.

I believe a lot of peoples attitude is that something sucks if you can’t have expert skills instantly.

Someone that is proficient in their area of expertise must have spent at least 10,000 hours developing their skill base...... and it doesn’t stop there, keep learning.

cc3d
04-04-2009, 05:47 PM
* Titanic = movie about a ship that sank. Lose, lose, lose.

Titantic was done in LW using the icebergcrash.p plugin.

I remember on these forums years ago (post Titanic movie), somebody said they had the Titantic model and wanted to know which plugin was used to make it hit the iceberg, sink, crack in two and sink again.

The reply they got was, Titanic.p :D

archijam
04-04-2009, 06:11 PM
These general questions always get general answers.

If you are specific about areas of use you would get many different answers:

Solid Modelling
Environment design
Organic design
Texturing
Game Dev (of each of the above)
Rigging
Scene animation
Character animation
Rotoscoping
Video compositing
Rendering stills (Mattes for example)
Rendering animations
Rendering effect work
____
Working in a large production team
Working as an individual
Setting up a studio for a single project

And surprise surprise, Lightwave is a great answer to many of the above, also in terms of getting work.

evolross
04-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I work in Ohio as a freelancer and EVERY studio I've been in from Dayton, Columbus, to Cincinnati ALL have licenses of Lightwave. At least six studios that I know of, that do major, national-level work. Even the United State Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio uses it. They own like 30 licenses (I used to work there - which is how I started using Lightwave to begin with).

No matter where I go, I know, somewhere, they'll have a Lightwave machine or two. Because it's always good at doing something in particular that the other platforms can't. And typically because it's faster to turn work around with it.

frantbk
04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
What relevance did your intellectually superior comments on those movies have to this thread? None.
What humour or ironic distraction did they provide? None.

It was just the usual ineffective one-up-manship effort you learn to expect from trolls.

What experience did the person posting that list have on those movies? Where was Lightwave used on each movie? The only person I know of that worked on Ironman is Mike_RB. What relevance do these movies have to the context of the conversation between Skywalker113 and his professor?

Not one of you intellectuals bothered to ask in what context did the professor say lightwave isn't used in movies. I know from reading Mike_RB's postings (who worked on Ironman) that modo was used in most of the modeling. Therefore, if the conversation between Skywalker113 and his professor was on the subject of modeling. Then Skywalker's professor wasn't really wrong.

Why is it not one of you intellectuals point skywalker113 to Jay Roth, or Chuck. People who actually know where Lightwave is being used in movies. People who have, or can find out where Lightwave has its strongest hiring in the movie industry.

Instead, you the intellectual that you are, posted your standard general rhetoric of knowing more programs will get you hired. what does that have to do with the professor's statement that lightwave isn't used in movies. You just support the professors statement that lightwave isn't worth learning. You just told this person that knowing other programs will do more to get him hired then knowing Lightwave.

Not one of you intellectual experts have pointed to one movie listed an explained where lightwave was used. I don't know where Lightwave was used in these movies - I'll bet you and the person posting the list don't know either. I'll bet Chuck and Jay Roth know or can find out.

The one up man-ship of the troll is you (and your ranting on this subject) because you didn't see that the list provided nothing, and it would prove nothing to the professor. Professors are not stupid people - you tell them Lightwave was used on Ironman; the professor's response will be "Where was it used, and in what capacity on Ironman?" What information did you or the person posting the list give Skywalker113 to support that lightwave was used on these movies - none.

You and the other person have given Skywalker113 nothing to use to change his professors view that Lightwave isn't used in movies.

frantbk
04-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Regarding Iron Man, we rendered our shots with the Mark 1 suit in LW 9.3. modo for modelling/uv/texturepainting/baking and XSI for animation.

Thanks Mike_RB that is the kind of information Skywalker113 can take back to his professor. :thumbsup:

Hopper
04-04-2009, 09:11 PM
What experience did the person posting that list have on those movies? Where was Lightwave used on each movie?
I have absolutely no experience with the movies I posted and where LightWave was used in them. Why and who the hell cares.. . all that matters is that my mouse finger works and knows how to click on the "Projects" link on the LightWave 3D front page... duh. :screwy:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/projects.php

And what the hell are you rambling about... What context do you need? Holy crap man, it was a simple statement and simple question. Who said he was trying to change his professors mind? Why would he have to "prove" anything? Not everyone wants to argue all day. You think his professors going to call him out or something? LOL.

Is it really necessary that you cry for attention in every single thread that's posted? Really? We have a simple question posted, and some constructive answers and you turn it into a "me me hey look at me" thread. Seriously man. Get a grip. Jay had to LOCK the last one you started this crap in. I didn't really help the situation much either, but at least I appologized for it. And don't start your self righteous b.s. You antagonize simply for the attention and it's quite obvious.

SplineGod
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Is all of this true?

The last people I would get industry advice from are other students and high school teachers. :)

skywalker113
04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Alot of responses! Sorry if I have offended anyone. I will put all off these replies into account.

Hopper
04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Alot of responses! Sorry if I have offended anyone. I will put all off these replies into account.
Of course you haven't offended anyone. It was a very interesting post and the questions you have are very valid.

Post this same question on a Max/Maya or Blender forum and see what your response is. Get the responses from all angles and viewpoints.

And don't mind us.. we get into forum wrestling matches all the time. :)

sammael
04-05-2009, 12:58 AM

Is all of this true?

You know a friend of mine rants and raves to me about how good Maya is, each time I even mention Lightwave he dismisses it and rants some more. He showed me his general modelling workflow and hes a tallented guy but wow so much stuffing around with extra buttons and mouse clicks to do such simple things. Even when I show him how fast it is to do the same thing in modeler he wont bend, instead noting the lack of a few key tools he might have used.
Same guy used to use 3DS max and it was the same thing... this is so much better because bla bla bla. The thing to note is that he NEVER actually tried Lightwave in the first pace, so his assumptions are based on nothing but a quite common bias that a lot of people seem to have, I dont think its based on anything rational just something they heard from a friend of a friend of theirs or just being generally protective over the software that THEY use.
To me Lightwave is different than other apps but in a good way in many aspects, some ares it is lacking but nothing to the extent as to justify the types of comments you are talking about.
Unfortunately in my experience of looking for a job though this is a fairly common misconception and employers ARE biased against Lightwave when you mention its the software that you use. At least that seems to be the case here in Australia which is unfortunate, lets hope core can turn that around.

SplineGod
04-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Luckily my experiences generally are the opposite. Most ppl I show LW to drool over how fast and easy it is. A couple of studios changed over to using LW when I showed them how fast it is to get things done.
What I find in general is that most ppl have heard of LW but have never seen it properly demoed. This, in my mind, makes it an opportunity to get a few more LW seats out there.

frantbk
04-05-2009, 07:43 AM
I have absolutely no experience with the movies I posted and where LightWave was used in them. Why and who the hell cares.. . all that matters is that my mouse finger works and knows how to click on the "Projects" link on the LightWave 3D front page... duh. :screwy:

And did it ever occur to you that Skywalker113 saw the same information,..duh Did it occur to you to ask if Skywalker113 has looked at the Lightwave site and read the information there. If he has than all you've done is repeat information he already knows,...duh

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/projects.php

And what the hell are you rambling about... What context do you need? Holy crap man, it was a simple statement and simple question. Who said he was trying to change his professors mind? Why would he have to "prove" anything? Not everyone wants to argue all day. You think his professors going to call him out or something? LOL. [/quote]

What I think at this point is that someone is playing you, just to see how many Lightwavers he can get to jump through his hoop. he has used all of the buzz words - may friends say lightwave isn't this! My professor says lightwave isn't used in moives! Is this true? The fact that I'm at the point where I don't believe his story is because he hasn't added any information to his claim.

Is it really necessary that you cry for attention in every single thread that's posted? Really? We have a simple question posted, and some constructive answers and you turn it into a "me me hey look at me" thread. Seriously man. Get a grip. [quote]

Whatever constructive answers were give wasn't by you, nor were they by me. But then I didn't believe that posting in the first place. I believed from the being that this is nothing but play to see how many people will jump through a hoop and you are one of the first ones to jump.

[quote] Jay had to LOCK the last one you started this crap in. I didn't really help the situation much either, but at least I appologized for it. And don't start your self righteous b.s. You antagonize simply for the attention and it's quite obvious.

Yes any view that isn't yours or the majority is antagonizing (in your view). I seem to remember stating clearly in that thread that my opposing view to the other persons view was just as politically incorrect as his. What do I have to apologize for? Taking responsibility that opposing his view wasn't to his & yours liking. By the way who did you appologized too?

On the subject of that thread being locked it was because (if you read Jay comments) that the thread had turn from being points of view to being turned into a nasty gang fight. Which is what this thread is turning into because you don't want to stay on the subject. You want to turn this into a personal issue, which will turn it into a gang fight.

Why don't you stay on the subject of the professor position that Lightwave isn't used in movies, and find out what the professor really said and what context he said it in.

IMI
04-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Yes any view that isn't yours or the majority is antagonizing (in your view).

It's alot simpler than that, frankie.
Just about anyone here could have gotten away with posting what you did without receiving a ration of sh*t for it.
You need to ask yourself, why is that?
Well, for one, you're really really bad at any kind of humor, if that was your intention.
For another, you simply rub people the wrong way, and that's putting it politely.
It's not just your views, Mr. tbk, it's you.

You were addressing Hopper. I've argued with Hopper. Other people have argued with Hopper. I and others have argued and disagreed plenty among ourselves without it so consistently getting out of control like it does when you show up.
So, your theory that we can't handle opposing views is total BS.
I realize you would prefer to believe that's the case, since the truth is much worse. I repeat, It's not just your views, it's you.

jasonwestmas
04-05-2009, 08:13 AM
So, your theory that we can't handle opposing views is total BS.

I would know. Many here have an impressive temperment, few do not.

Hopper
04-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Why don't you stay on the subject of the professor position that Lightwave isn't used in movies, and find out what the professor really said and what context he said it in.

Well, since he seems to received the information he was after, this subject is "done". You obviously don't understand what the topic was about anyway, so it's pretty pointless to continue. You were mistaken in almost all your statements and now you back pedal as usual. Well , I'm not chasing this time. You have effectively proven all the points I need to make.

Enjoy your day.

F_GX
04-05-2009, 02:08 PM
If LW sucks, why does the best organic modeller use LW? (Taron)

if LW sucks, why is it propably the best product for a small studio/freelance tool?

and last but not least -

if LW sucks, why do we all own it :D

:lwicon: + :newtek: = :thumbsup:

SAHiN
04-05-2009, 02:29 PM
If Lightwave sucks, all others swallow...
I started my 3D life with 3d studio release 2 and imagine.. I switched to LW in 1996 cause others didnt even have lens flares. I opened up the package, had 7 days to finish a TV commercial.. I did.. That commercial won 1996 Australasian Television Awards..After that every year I kept winning awards.. I work alone never needed anyone to help me earn my living cause LW is so fast on every aspect dude..
My MAX using competition usually charges between $500-$1000 for an architectural project, I charge minimum $45,000 and I always end up finishing the projects they messed up. MARK MY WORDS, there is no other 3D tool that hit the cinema screen as it came out of its box..No plugins no additional render engines no V-ray.. Only LW !

As for my opinion on teachers, they are like communists, when they cant survive out there in real world, they go teaching..Cuz its easier to badmouth what they cant use..

LW ROCKS ! Always have.. and I am gratefull to Newtek for being there..

My two cents, keep the change

Marshun
04-05-2009, 04:25 PM
As as I'm concerned, LW has been used probably as much as any. I remember Babylon 5, Sin City, and on. One movie, The Ruins, was terrible ... but story-wise only. Its 3Ds were excellent. In fact the latter upstaged everything else.

Why such animosity being expressed is beyond me. I was impressed with LW long before I bought it. And, as far as I know, LW is somewhere in the Moderate range compared with all the others. So whomever says LW is otherwise must be insistent for some other reason. Such as those subjectively speaking.

frantbk
04-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Why would you go to a 3d max instructor and expect him to have good advice about Lightwave? When you buy a car to you go to the Ford dealer to talk about the GM car your thinking of buying?

IMI
04-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Why would you go to a 3d max instructor and expect him to have good advice about Lightwave? When you buy a car to you go to the Ford dealer to talk about the GM car your thinking of buying?

I think a better analogy would be why go to an Autodesk dealer, yada yada yada.
If the 3ds max instructor has integrity and is concerned and isn't blatantly biased he might have some good advice. If he's a pro, there's a good chance he actually knows something about LW and/or works somewhere where he's exposed to it.

The Ford dealer just wants to sell you a Ford. He has a vested interest.

Tranimatronic
04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
those who can....do
those who cant...teach

you tend to find those taught in lightwave are able to tackle almost any problem in 3d. Those taught in other software are good at one or two aspects of their art.

Youll get no marks telling the teacher hes an idiot however. Go with what the teacher is using, or get a different school. ;)

GraphXs
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
LW is used in a lot of places; IMO Lightwave is the secret weapon behind the curtain on many projects. I use it almost everyday for production mixing it with Max. Yes, Autodesk does rule the market share, and I even get the occasional “Lightwave, I thought that was dead?” But for people who are serious about 3D they know that every tool has its ups and downs and don’t mind the religious ranting about how neat and cool their 3D software of choice is. I have people who love Max (mostly hate), love Maya, love Silo, love Z-brush and of course love Lightwave. The conversions we have are wonderful, because we have the ability to problem-solve with various software and many different ideas on how to approach 3D creation and content. It’s wonderful to tackle our projects in a multi-software environment, in the end it’s about getting the job done and sometimes it takes different tools get us there.

Yes, I also agree that some teachers, especially 3D teachers only teach because they cannot “do”. Of course not everyone, but most 3D teachers I had in college had no reel, had no job in the industry, and always told us to just read the manual and do the tutorials in them. Really sad I spent all that money, but hey I was at least introduced to Amiga/Lightwave during my college years!:D

sampei
04-07-2009, 07:22 AM
some really good posts here, I've picked up LightWave not long ago and there's no denying the fact its an extremely efficient and versatile package. Loads of potential.
Enough said.

frantbk
04-07-2009, 07:34 AM
LW is used in a lot of places; IMO Lightwave is the secret weapon behind the curtain on many projects. I use it almost everyday for production mixing it with Max. Yes, Autodesk does rule the market share, and I even get the occasional “Lightwave, I thought that was dead?” But for people who are serious about 3D they know that every tool has its ups and downs and don’t mind the religious ranting about how neat and cool their 3D software of choice is. I have people who love Max (mostly hate), love Maya, love Silo, love Z-brush and of course love Lightwave. The conversions we have are wonderful, because we have the ability to problem-solve with various software and many different ideas on how to approach 3D creation and content. It’s wonderful to tackle our projects in a multi-software environment, in the end it’s about getting the job done and sometimes it takes different tools get us there.

Yes, I also agree that some teachers, especially 3D teachers only teach because they cannot “do”. Of course not everyone, but most 3D teachers I had in college had no reel, had no job in the industry, and always told us to just read the manual and do the tutorials in them. Really sad I spent all that money, but hey I was at least introduced to Amiga/Lightwave during my college years!:D

You make a good point. I think the days of learn as you go are gone from the 3D industry. Too much money is in the projects and too much money is being asked for by FX shops to complete a job. The idea that you are going to go from high-school 3d to big picture movie 3d is day dreaming. Most people will have to work their way up the food chain and prove they can meet deadlines (just like in every job). He refers to his classmates, so he is still in high school? He has been register with the NewTek community for 4 years so this is his last year in high school?

If that is the case then quite worrying about what programs you need to learn and go get a 2, or 4 year degree in 3D, or go to one of these places that only teach 3D that help place their students in 3D jobs after their classes are over. Most companies want people who can hit the ground running for projects and know how to meet deadlines. A person fresh out of high school is not that person.