PDA

View Full Version : particle expressions

faulknermano
08-18-2003, 07:57 AM
i'm wondering whether or not this has been requested before. given the current architecture of lw, i'd suggest having a particle expression 'controller' (like wind controllers). this way, particle expressions can still be controlled by other set controllers.

also, would it be possible to have particles affect-able by bones (sorry - words fail me today)? think of it like the old particlestorm stuff where you can deform stuff the particles (which were actually polypoints) using bones.

Mylenium
08-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Hehe Lernie,

Playing around with Maya again, are we? ;o) This would surely be nice, I just don't see it happening. From what I could make out in the available videos/ pictures there is no such thing. Looks like they opted for halfa**ed particle erazor tools and such things. Perhaps Amelie will fill this gap.

Mylenium

faulknermano
08-18-2003, 11:28 PM
Playing around with Maya again, are we? ;o)

:D :p

From what I could make out in the available videos/ pictures there is no such thing. Looks like they opted for halfa**ed particle erazor tools and such things.

well, you'd never really know. it looks that they probably could by year's end. again, no one will know. (btw, i think particle erasing is pretty cool :D)

not familiar with the current 7.5 SDK, but from what i've seen with olas's fire&smoke plugin, manipulating particles from the SDK is possible (lscript doesnt provide this interface, but i hope it does in the future; lscript only provides access to the existing database of particles). if this is so, i think, even now it is possible to create an expression system for particles, like relativity does for motion and stuff.

but what i do agree is that i also tend to think particle expressions wont come out but only for the reason that i think it's NOT a popular feature request. oh well..

garg
08-19-2003, 04:05 AM
We are triying to add particles to Amelie (http://www.rayserver.com/amelie) we still need to understand well how to incorporate pariticles within Amelie without making it too complex.

Alain

Mylenium
08-19-2003, 05:19 AM
Hi Alain,

Well, particles are a complex thing.... Even in Maya manipulating them with expressions is not the easiest thing (if you are after the really bold stuff). I wouldn't worry much about complexity - consider this an extreme geek/ experimental thing. I think what you need to add is something like a particle sampler node that gives you particle id, particle age, color, distance to other particles etc..

Mylenium

garg
08-19-2003, 05:52 AM
We are working on that... I hope we will have something for begining next week. I HOPE I said because we will incorporate it only if it's usable... Having useless feathure is not cool :-)

Alain