PDA

View Full Version : Is it best to go to SpeedHQ 4:2:2 for CC?

mvansomeren
04-03-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm working on a project where I need to do a lot of color grading. Essentially I'm turning day to night in many of the shots. In the past, color grading on my .m2t HDV footage had been minimal.

Is it best to convert the .m2t files to SpeedHQ 4:2:2 prior to grading? My thinking is that it provides more headroom than if I just graded the .m2t files. But this is just a guess.

The HDV footage was shot on an XHA1. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

ScorpioProd
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
It all depends IF you are doing the color grading as a separate rendered step or not.

Everything internal in SpeedEDIT is done in uncompressed space.

So if you bring in SpeedHQ or HDV .m2t into SpeedEDIT, you can work on them exactly identically, there is NO difference in the space you are working in.

IF all your color grading is done inside SpeedEDIT, all in one step, before you render out your final product, you should stick with the HDV .m2t as your source, there would be NO advantage to doing a lossy render to something else first.

But, IF you are needing to render out between steps, that would be when you should go to a more robust codec, like SpeedHQ, for the intermediate renders. Since that would hold up better through multiple renders.

mvansomeren
04-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Eugene. That's exactly the information I was looking for!

millsron
01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Color grading?

Paul Lara
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Color grading?

Color grading is synonymous with color timing and color correction.