PDA

View Full Version : Is Mac LW UB 64 bit?

byte_fx
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Title kind of says it all.

If not is there at least a generic/swag schedule for Mac LW to be UB 64 bit?

Thanks

byte_fx

Captain Obvious
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
No to the first, no to the second.

byte_fx
04-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the response.

Makes the decision easier about building a new PC instead of buying another Mac Pro.

Unless Apple has fixed the problem it appears 64 bit Windows OS's are limited to accessing 2GB of ram. Something to do with the EFI apparently.

byte_fx

Captain Obvious
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
That's not something I've heard before. I've talked to lots of people running 64-bit Windows on Macs, presumably with more than 2 gigs of RAM.

byte_fx
04-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Came as a surprise to me.

What seems to be happening is that memory above 4GB is recognized by Task Manager but not utilized.

As high poly with large image maps are added system response really slows down as paging file size and and access goes up.

Apple support says:

1) it's a problem with the EFI or Windows

2) there isn't a problem - XP SP 2 64 bit and above under Boot Camp fully supports up to 16GB of ram.

But I see the page file hits under both XP and Vista.

byte_fx

wellsichris
04-05-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I have a 2008 mac pro with 14 gigs of ram and xp 64 and it works like a dream. LW 64 sees and uses it all, fusion 64 does and syntheyes 64 does. I know the first gen mac pro did as well, though in that I only had 6 gigs. are you referencing the newest macpro? I don't have experience with the 2009 ones, but all the ones before worked fine. now xp 32 only saw 2 gigs if I remember correct, but xp 64 saw it all.

chris

toby
04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
No to the first, no to the second.
Don't mistake what the Capn' is saying, there is a 64 bit UB in progress, but there is no release date yet. Chilton has several times said 'soon', and has given us a few updates.

Captain Obvious
04-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Don't mistake what the Capn' is saying, there is a 64 bit UB in progress, but there is no release date yet. Chilton has several times said 'soon', and has given us a few updates.
Well yes, of course. But nothing's official and there's no real schedule or anything. It could be released tomorrow, or it could be released with Core*.

*I'm assuming that Core will be 64-bit from the start for all platforms, but I could be wrong

sampei
04-08-2009, 07:54 AM
right I'll just use the thread to ask something:
I'm considering buying a Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz, if I install Vista 64 will I get the same results (performance) as if I'm using the native OS ? I don't know anything about Macs, so all the help/advice possible is appreciated :)

Captain Obvious
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
If you install Vista on a Macbook Pro, then Vista IS the native OS! The only way to have a non-native operating system, is to run it through virtualization or emulation, which is NOT the case with running Windows on Macs.

sampei
04-09-2009, 04:50 AM
If you install Vista on a Macbook Pro, then Vista IS the native OS! The only way to have a non-native operating system, is to run it through virtualization or emulation, which is NOT the case with running Windows on Macs.
oh I see...so for instance if I'm using LightWave it's performance (open GL, render times etc) on Vista 64 will be pretty much the same as on Leopard with the mac version ?

Kuzey
04-09-2009, 05:22 AM
oh I see...so for instance if I'm using LightWave it's performance (open GL, render times etc) on Vista 64 will be pretty much the same as on Leopard with the mac version ?

It would/could if there was a 64bit version on the Mac side...but that's still a work in progress, so the the Windows 64bit version should be faster than the Mac version. Also, the Mac version has a lot of bugs that was left in so the transition to 64Bit version would be easier at a later time.

Basically, running LW under Vista 64 on a Mac should be the same as running under Vista 64bit on a PC. The difference when comparing the Mac and PC versions of LW is that the Mac version isn't complete at the moment..so it's a bit behind and can be quite buggy.

Kuzey

sampei
04-09-2009, 05:50 AM
It would/could if there was a 64bit version on the Mac side...but that's still a work in progress, so the the Windows 64bit version should be faster than the Mac version. Also, the Mac version has a lot of bugs that was left in so the transition to 64Bit version would be easier at a later time.

Basically, running LW under Vista 64 on a Mac should be the same as running under Vista 64bit on a PC. The difference when comparing the Mac and PC versions of LW is that the Mac version isn't complete at the moment..so it's a bit behind and can be quite buggy.

Kuzey

good stuff, thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:
By the way do you think the Mac Book Pro 15'' 2.66 GHz is a good choice, considering I need a portable machine and I can get it for ~1200 ?

Kuzey
04-09-2009, 06:06 AM
good stuff, thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:
By the way do you think the Mac Book Pro 15'' 2.66 GHz is a good choice, considering I need a portable machine and I can get it for ~1200 ?

Any of the current MacBook Pro's would be good :D

The trick is to know when to buy, because they could get updated anytime and it would be a shame to miss out on a new model by a month or two. On the other hand, if you need it straight away then you should be fine.

Kuzey

sampei
04-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Any of the current MacBook Pro's would be good :D

The trick is to know when to buy, because they could get updated anytime and it would be a shame to miss out on a new model by a month or two. On the other hand, if you need it straight away then you should be fine.

Kuzey
hmmm I see..might wait till the new one then, I'll see if I can last a bit longer with my current asus notebook (which is giving me horrible horrible nightmares).
Thanks a bunch btw :bowdown:

Kuzey
04-09-2009, 06:27 AM
It's my pleasure :thumbsup:

I found this :

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro_Buyer%27s_Guide

As you can see it's been 177 days since the last update and they get updated on average...around the 197 day mark. So if you can wait 3 weeks or more it might be worth while.

But like everything...it's always a gamble in the end.

Kuzey

sampei
04-09-2009, 07:15 AM
great link, guess I'll keep my eyes peeled :D

Captain Obvious
04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
No. It will be the same as if you were running Vista on, say, a Dell or Acer or whatever with similar hardware.

Also, I have the last-gen 15" Macbook Pro, and I love it! It's a great machine.

sampei
04-10-2009, 05:01 AM
No. It will be the same as if you were running Vista on, say, a Dell or Acer or whatever with similar hardware.

Also, I have the last-gen 15" Macbook Pro, and I love it! It's a great machine.
excellent, when I manage to get my hands on one I'll be sure to ask you guys for the all tricks and tips.
:thumbsup:

Sarford
04-10-2009, 10:56 AM
- Final Cut Studio 3, DVD Studio Pro, Shake, Logic updates.

That brought a tear to my eye....

Thanks for the link Kuzey

sampei
04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I can get Vista Business 64 bit for free, is that version ok ?

sampei
04-10-2009, 01:53 PM
ooops forgot to mention I could also get XP Professional 64 :)

Lightwolf
04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Absolutely. The main thing missing from Ultimate (or Home) is the Media Centre (which is basically like Front Row).

Cheers,
Mike

sampei
04-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Absolutely. The main thing missing from Ultimate (or Home) is the Media Centre (which is basically like Front Row).

Cheers,
Mike

great, can't wait to get my hands on some new hardware :D