PDA

View Full Version : ?:what is stable versionLw + fprime3 ?

operation
04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I want to downgrade my LW version (9.6), I want to know wich version is the most stable with Fprime 3.2 ?

Will you use 9.2, 9.3 or 9.5 ?
9.6 is always crashing and Fprime won't be updated soon .. so...
thanks you for your advice.

op

Markc
04-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Are you on a Mac or Pc?
I am using 9.6 on a Mac with Fprime 3.2, there are some bugs, but I think you will have them even if you 'downgrade' (it's just a matter of thinking ahead once you know the niggles, and closing Fprime as and when).
Personally, once I've moved up a version, I couldn't go back to an earlier build!

biliousfrog
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Aside from the preview renderer FPrime is slower in most cases than 9.6's native renderer so I stick with that...plus you can use all the shaders, nodes, volumetrics, HD Instance (my new toy),network rendering, buffer export, FFX, etc, etc, etc....

9.3.1 seemed the last reasonably stable release but there were still barely any working nodes. You don't need to 'downgrade', just install older versions as well and test them out.

operation
04-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I use windows.
Some materials are not working Fprime ( conductor,etc... ), you need to close and open Fprime ( Preset windows make it crash): some informations are not sent to Fprime, you have to update manually.

I use Fprime to quickly setup my materials and my lights.

I won't use LW9.6 : I am not satisfied by this version ( opengl is slow in Layout with SubD object), got some crashs in particular situations.

I want to downgrade: some company still work with 8.3 or 8.5 to render their projects. Lw9.6 is faster, but I am looking for stability and I won't use the new LW features.

monovich
04-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I use FPrime in 9.6, just don't expect the world from it with nodes. it can't preview them all and you have to learn which ones make it crash. save often.

Regardless of how great the LW rendereris, I still love setting up my surfaces in FPrime whenever possible.

Iain
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
9.6 seems pretty stable to me.
The only real problem I had was fixed by switching to Legacy in Modeler Open GL.

8.5 was ok 3 years ago but it just doesn't come close to 9.6. You're kidding yourself.

Iain
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I use FPrime in 9.6 ............................

Regardless of how great the LW renderer is, I still love setting up my surfaces in FPrime whenever possible.

Quoted for agreement. Lighting too. FPrime is indispensable.

Hopper
04-03-2009, 05:06 PM
9.3.1 seemed the last reasonably stable release but there were still barely any working nodes.
:agree:

Regardless of how great the LW rendereris, I still love setting up my surfaces in FPrime whenever possible.
This is the only thing I use FPrime for ... I don't think I have ever even used the renderer. For those of us that are "texturally challenged" such as myself, it's extremely difficult to learn surfacing using Viper. It's slow, you get frustrated, then pack it up and go back to Modeler just to feel like you can accomplish something. :)

After buying FPrime, I actually enjoy surfacing. Of course, I still suck at it, but I don't care if I'm enjoying it.

Dodgy
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I find that 9.31 is the best version to use with FP. 9.6 crashes with it all the time, and while 9.31 isn't crash free, it does mostly work, and a lot of the new features of the 9 series are in it. I keep it on the HD just for surfacing in FP.

operation
04-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks
I agree , i don't need the new lw9.6 features. After looking at the fprime support page: lw9.3.1 is the last supported version by fprime.

I dont use fprime as a final render, but i am so productive with fprime that i cant work without it.

Any news of an fprime update for 9.6?

IMI
04-05-2009, 09:30 AM
FPrime will never be able to render any of the nodes which use the "pre-pass", which includes all the material nodes. It's because of the way those nodes are calculated. Maybe CORE will have a way around that, maybe (hopefully!) CORE will have its own preview renderer, but it's not gonna happen with FPrime in 9.x

SAHiN
04-05-2009, 03:02 PM
This is due to LW render engine and screamer net not sharing all information woth F-prime.. So no matter which version you go to, some things will be left f-prime renderer i.e Worley's very own sasquatch :)

I like fprime for lighting and surfacing also, but I wouldnt dream of downgrading my LW for it...
I guess time to time we all need to hit F9 to see what we are doing..

Good luck

Sensei
04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
FPrime will never be able to render any of the nodes which use the "pre-pass", which includes all the material nodes. It's because of the way those nodes are calculated. Maybe CORE will have a way around that, maybe (hopefully!) CORE will have its own preview renderer, but it's not gonna happen with FPrime in 9.x

Not quite. Conductor for example works in TrueHair Previewer in LW v9.5 and LW v9.6, even though Interpolated is toggled on and LW F9 renderer is doing pre-process, and filling its cache- that's why it's blurred.. TrueHair Preview doesn't pre-process and fill node cache, so all rays are fired (node finds out that cache is empty and sends regular rays)..

Here is screen-shot:
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/TrueHair/Graphics/TrueHair_Preview_Conductor.png

In other words: Fprime will be able to render pre-processing nodes too..