PDA

View Full Version : limitations on filesize?

veljko
08-18-2003, 04:17 AM
I was wondering, are there any limitaions on the filesize that people post in this forum?
If there are non i think that there should be- Im shure we all want to present our work in th best light posible, but lets be curtious to the people with bad connections (like me:)) that are dragged with huge files- I think there is no need to post non .jpg files and files over 800pxls in size

the difference in quality is minimum and the difference in filesize is far greater then the loss of quality.

thanx-
what do you think?
aill post a poll aswell:)

riki
08-18-2003, 06:46 PM
I'm definately against it. I like large high quality pix and I'm on a slow dialup connection.

When I surf the web, I use Tabs in Netscape 7 and I'm normally looking at 10 webpages at once, reading one while the others download.

If it's a problem you can always go to the control panel and turn of avatars and images. That way the images appear as linked files.

The limitations on CG channel are a real pain (I believe only 20k, which is useless after you compress the krap out of your pix. I've had to compress jpgs 800x600 images down to 16% on their system).

People have to rely on uploading to their own servers. They can't use sites like Geocities that don't allow external file linking. And invariably they delete the images off their server at some stage and we loose the archive.

It's a painful system, it deters users from uploading. I deters me from uploading.

veljko
08-19-2003, 03:05 AM
ok let us use common sense at this point:)
- ill upload two images- ones is a tga file and the other compresssed jpg file wich is 15! times smaller then the upper file- now you tell me if the quality of the upper file is that better that it is worth 15!times more the wait to see it.
and im no jpg converting wizard i just converted this file in acdsee

this is the tga

veljko
08-19-2003, 03:05 AM
and this is a compressed .jpg

riki
08-19-2003, 03:28 AM
It's a ridiculous comparison because I've rarely ever seen anyone on these forums uploading bitmaps. So what your presenting is not an issue that has any relevance.

juice
08-19-2003, 03:29 AM
... hey veljko are you joking to compare .jpg against .tga??

.jpg, .gif, and .png are actually the best for web, they have limitations, but not anybody have a fast internet-connection... it also cause high traffic on the server, and slow down overall if anybody post .tga