PDA

View Full Version : Is there an in depth tutorial on Hard FX?

shrox
04-03-2009, 05:51 AM
I found a few tutorials for hard FX online, but they're not very thorough, just introductory. I have a copy of Essential Lightwave, but of course, it's in a storage locker in California. Anybody know of any online?

Dodgy
04-03-2009, 07:41 AM
You could try www.lightwiki.com. I wrote the guides to the LW dynamics, so feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

JBT27
04-03-2009, 07:45 AM
How thorough do you need?

If you're talking free tuts then I'm not sure, though a couple of the Kurv video sets are pretty good if you're spending, and they have a UK distributor.

Julian.

shrox
04-03-2009, 07:59 AM
You could try www.lightwiki.com. I wrote the guides to the LW dynamics, so feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

shrox
04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
How thorough do you need?

If you're talking free tuts then I'm not sure, though a couple of the Kurv video sets are pretty good if you're spending, and they have a UK distributor.

Julian.

I've been disappointed in just about every tutorial I have bought, I usually already know what they offer in it, and it seems the stuff I want to know isn't touched upon. In this case, what does each and every tab and control for hard FX do?

shrox
04-03-2009, 09:18 AM

That gave me what I was looking for, thanks!

JBT27
04-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I've been disappointed in just about every tutorial I have bought, I usually already know what they offer in it, and it seems the stuff I want to know isn't touched upon. In this case, what does each and every tab and control for hard FX do?

Well, there is truth in that.....blow-by-blow common-sense context for every single item on every single tab is something I have not come across in tutorials either. I tend to get and watch whatever there is, that's remotely decent, and glean anything I can from them, though HardFX is a tough call in this respect because that balance of settings that just works is very different for every scene, and I often wonder if there's any point it being taught anyway.

I've very recently started to look to Blender for rigid-body dynamics, though new enough to it that I have yet to try to port any data out of it to LW (though at least one person on these forums does that regularly.....JeffreySG maybe.....maybe not.....!). First attempts with Blender's rigid-bodies tend to just work in ways that LW's don't.

Julian.

shrox
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Thought I'd share my results with everyone. Here's a packaged test file of a exploding smokestack, using a slender cone as a collision object. Experiment with, tweak it, have fun. They won't let us blow up the real historic one...

(No motion files, they made the RAR file too big.)

JeffrySG
04-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I've very recently started to look to Blender for rigid-body dynamics, though new enough to it that I have yet to try to port any data out of it to LW (though at least one person on these forums does that regularly.....JeffreySG maybe.....maybe not.....!). First attempts with Blender's rigid-bodies tend to just work in ways that LW's don't.
Julian.

I don't really use Blender for anything but Richard (Surrealist) has been really into Blender lately. Not sure if he has been transferring anything to LW though. I think it's just all in Blender. He's a good resource if you do have Blender questions.

J

JBT27
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't really use Blender for anything but Richard (Surrealist) has been really into Blender lately. Not sure if he has been transferring anything to LW though. I think it's just all in Blender. He's a good resource if you do have Blender questions.

J

Surrealist! Of course - pictured the avatar, swore it was you :)

In one thread there is a good breakdown of getting dynamics out of Blender into LW, though I notice there is a link off the Lightwiki pages as well to a Spinquad thread about Blender fluids to LW.

Julian.

JBT27
04-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Thought I'd share my results with everyone. Here's a packaged test file of a exploding smokestack, using a slender cone as a collision object. Experiment with, tweak it, have fun. They won't let us blow up the real historic one...

(No motion files, they made the RAR file too big.)

Looks good!

Shame about the real one.....in the 1970s it was quite the thing to blow-up old chimneys :D

Julian.