PDA

View Full Version : Animated Lower Thirds and Timers

gofightlive
04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I have been working with the Tricaster Broadcast for a couple months now, and I still have not figured out how to incorporate animations to our productions. I have just been using static lower thirds that I bring in through the text feature.

I am however trying to make our productions more animated now that I have "mastered" instant replay and the text overlay feature. I normally make my animations in After Effects. Would there be a way to bring in animated lower thirds and overlay them into a live production?

I also made up a timer that counts down, and I am looking to bring that i as well. How would I be able to overlay that?

And lastly, I was looking for custom transitions and I was looking into doing them myself being that I have multiple companies I do work for, would I be able to use After Effects for that and transform it into DVE or do I HAVE to use Lightwave for that? Learning new programs is rough.

Thanks!

SBowie
04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Would there be a way to bring in animated lower thirds and overlay them into a live production?You can load an anim into a DDR, and apply it using Overlay. If the file has an embedded alpha channel, it will be respected. :)

I also made up a timer that counts down, and I am looking to bring that i as well. How would I be able to overlay that?Same answer. :)

would I be able to use After Effects for that and transform it into DVE or do I HAVE to use Lightwave for that? Learning new programs is rough.There are DVE creation tools (and LiveSet creation tools) for both LightWave and Aura. You could create content for a transition in another app, but ultimately you need one of those two to compile a DVE.

gofightlive
04-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Thank you for the quick reply!

I did try to bring in my rendered MOV files (with alpha channels) into the DDR and tried to overlay, but I was unsuccessful with my different attempts. I might have been doing something wrong in the process.

I tried reading through the manual and couldn't really find anything concerning that subject matter. I guess I will just continue to play around with it until I figure it out. At least I now know that I was in the right direction.

Thanks!

SBowie
04-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Last time I checked, there were only a small handful of .mov codecs with alpha, and of those, two worked - one was the Anim codec (remember to set it to use "Millions of Colors +" for color depth; the other one escapes me right now ... it might have been PNG. A search in these forums will likely turn it up.

gofightlive
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah I have been using the Animation setting with After Effects that uses RGB + millions of colors. That is the only one I have used that renders out in the transparent background and have had great outcomes with it.

I use the PNG-24 for the static graphics and that has worked out great for me so far.

Thanks for all your help! It's greatly appreciated! :)

bob anderson
04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Here's a quick tip for creating animated lower 3rds I discovered accidentally.

Make sure the first and last frames of the animation are 100% alpha. ( nothing on screen ) I usually also throw in a 1 second or so "pause point" in the animation if that works with what you are trying to do.

I load the list of animated cg's in order into one of the DDRs. Make sure the DDR is set to play the "selection" and not "list".

Select one of the clips but don't play it. Select the proper DDR in the graphics overlay ( DSK ) and hit take or fade. Nothing will happen.

Hit play on the DDR to trigger the animation. If you created a pause point in the animation, you can pause the DDR and leave the CG up as long as you want. ( obviously this won't work it the CG has a moving "jump back" style element to it.) hit play again, and the clip will play to the end. Since the last frame is blank, when the animation finishes, nothing it displayed.

You can now select a different clip, and even though the DSK is still keying, nothing appears onscreen, until you play the clip.

Using this trick basically turns one of your DDRs into the CG, and IMHO is the biggest selling point of the Studio over the lesser models. If I'm ever doing a gig on a Pro or 100 it feels "broken" to me.

I was doing an MTV gig, and they sent some animated elements that were all messed up, so I had to re-render everything in LW, and it was here that I discovered the "Blank First and Last" trick, and I always use it now. They had these elements that animated stretching across the bottom of the screen. I had to put the text on the elements, and animate the text to fit on the bkg bar. TC Edit's "Clip Control" panel made quick work of it, and I was able to use the "Inherit" function so creating the first element took 5 minutes or so, and each additional name was only a few seconds.

Bob Anderson

Paul Lara
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
That's a very smart workflow, Bob. Thanks for sharing. I copied this post over to the TriCaster Tips & Tricks forum.

xleggs
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Bob, that's great. I'm totally going to do that from now on. Is one frame enough at the front and back?

bob anderson
04-27-2009, 01:11 PM
One frame is not only OK, it's desirable. That way when you punch it, it pops on immediately.

Bob Anderson