PDA

View Full Version : Is software training important?

EricPhilpott
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I guess I should introduce myself first: I'm the new PR guy working for eyeon. Some of you may remember me from my time at IRIDAS.

I wanted to share some news today about the new SoftWare Artist Training (SWAT) program. You can read the story here, if you are interested:

http://blog.digitalcontentproducer.com/briefingroom/2009/04/02/eyeon-to-introduce-new-training-initiative-at-nab/

Meanwhile, we'd love to hear from artists on the topic of training. Why is it important to you (or not)? What things work best in learning? If you have any thoughts, or good stories to tell about your own training experiences, please fire them over!

Eric | [email protected]

GandB
04-02-2009, 01:28 PM
It's extremely important to me, as I have little time to work on this stuff...what with a job that has nothing to do with computers and a family. So anything that would help expidite things and get me creating is most welcome.

Tutorials themselves are good, depending on how they're presented and how much the presenter takes for granted (is he approaching it from the angle of someone new...or is he hitting hotkeys all the time without explaining why...). I find I learn best by following a video tutorial on one of my 2 monitors, then working on the other. Online classes aren't always the best, because I need to be able to work at my own pace...and in the time-frame I'm allowed.

One thing I'd specifically like to see, is more training geared towards game artists (billion dollar industry). Especially coming from a lower-poly perspective, with pipeline integration (general pipelines).

The person who speaks in the videos should be clear, with no background noise; they should also be personable (take Dan Ablan, for example). Project-based tutorials are some of the best I have come across...versus tutorials that just show you what the program does.

-Keith

OnlineRender
04-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Dont do what i got for 4 years solid " here theres a pdf file read that " , we wont bother opening up LW to show you the GUI .

Bumped , help the dude out guys

GandB
04-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Yes; .pdf tutorials are something I rarely open up, unless it's for something very specific (how to import an entity into the Torque game engine, etc.).

-Keith

AdamAvenali
04-03-2009, 02:51 PM
i would have to say that i am a huge proponent of video tutorials and also books. i thoroughly enjoy the entire LW9 series of books by Wordware and have read them a few times each. i like the way they are presented in both a technical and artistic manner and i can pace myself accordingly. as far as video tutorials are concerned (i have watched a lot recently from places such as gnomon, digital tutors and i3d [i had to learn maya for a new job]), i usually watch through the entire video once to get an overall feel for the process and then watch it again while taking key notes from it.

and as far as if it is important to me or not, i would have to say it is. there would be no way that i would have figured out mental ray on my own haha