PDA

View Full Version : presets for the global illumination

zardoz
04-02-2009, 10:21 AM
I think this would be a good idea. Sometimes I'm simply trying to do some testing and I have to lower my GI values to get faster renders...then I don't remember the final GI settings anymore...
We could have some preset system like a quick store or something.

Panikos
04-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Usually these settings are subject to the scene content. So any attempt to preset them wont make any difference in the tweaking process.

zardoz
04-02-2009, 06:01 PM
yes, I know that...what I'm asking isn't a preset system for other scenes...but for each scene.
So imagine I'm working on some scene, and I want to do some renders simply to do some texturing or see how the light is working... I want to use lpwer GI settings, then after tweaking revert to the full resolution.

byte_fx
04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I set up a couple of generic GI scenes using some pitch gradients for the background and one with a choice of beachprobe.hdr or buildingprobe.hdr for illumination.

There is also a scene with several different types of cameras properly labeled.

I keep these in a folder named 'BLANK' that has those scenes along the images in a 'BKGRND' folder under IMAGES. This master folder has all the usual folders plus ones for 'AMIMATIONS', ENVELOPES' 'MOTIONS', 'REFERENCE IMAGES' (for pics/drawings of whatever I'm working on) , 'RENDERS', and 'SURFACES' (for starting point surfaces and saving intermediate surfaces).

When I start a new project all I have to do is copy that folder and rename the copy.

Also - a tip along those lines. Create an image subfolder for each object. That way if you recycle an object it's really easy to snag the needed images.

And save a setup scene for each object - saves having to do a lot of repeat work at recycle time.

The above are presets in a way although probably not what you're looking for.

byte_fx