PDA

View Full Version : Even SILO for $109 has edge support.

SLAYER
08-17-2003, 11:17 PM
The new modeler, Silo, has been announced that it will be $109 and looks to have edge support and alot of other features:

http://www.nevercenter.com

evenflcw
08-17-2003, 11:41 PM
So does Wings3d for nothing!

That's not a fair comparison though. I'm sure the people at NT are smart enough to do it, but if it really takes a total rewrite as some has claimed, it might just take a while. If not, maybe we'll get a pleasant suprise with 8.

To me Silo looks more like a commercial and beefed up version of Wings3d/Nendo than a LW Modeler killer. Although, I do agree that NT could look more closely at some of these programs feature, to implement some of their workflow and tools (like the whole selection paradigm of Wings3d/Nendo, edgebevels/chamfers).

Btw, as the sticky thread suggests maybe you should have posted this in general discussions instead.

SLAYER
08-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I debated about where to throw this thread, but decided on here as it is sort of community related and to continue with all of the talk on the edge weighting with the LW8 forums here. Sorry if I chose the wrong place.

My reasoning for posting is that so many people, as well as myself, are wanting edge support and that to see it in these very cheap and free apps is very disappointing. Not disappointing that I cannot get these apps as well, but disappointing in that if they can include this in apps of this level, then surely they could be integrated into a $1600 professional level app.

wavk
08-18-2003, 01:59 AM
A total rewrite? I think not. Just fake it. I don't know what you want to do with the edges, but I think it can be implemented quite fast. What is an edge? Two point, right?

Blender just implemented an edge selection mode, which wasn't really difficult to create if I heard correctly.

So what I mean, an edge mode would mean just a new selection mode where you can click on an edge and LightWave would select the two points (internally). The edit tools are exactly the same as would be necessary for two points.

Am I right? Am I not?

riki
08-18-2003, 03:14 AM
Apparently weighting two Points is not the same a weighting an Edge. The influence of two Points extends beyond the Edge and tends to square things off.

wavk
08-18-2003, 03:55 AM
true... true... :) I don't like subdivision surface weighting anyway, but you're right. But I still don't think it's as dramatic as an entire rewrite. Don't know how useful it would be.

marko
08-18-2003, 07:44 AM
please check out how sketchu 3d works easily with edge selection. You can in same time select surface edge and point

http://www.sketchup.com/training.php

and see how it works.

(it does not have edge filets)

DaveW
08-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Another reason why you can't just use points, edge beveling. Say you had a square and you want to bevel 3 edges, if you use points instead of true edges, you end up with all four edges being beveled. There's a free edge bevel plugin that uses points to detect edges, and because of that it only works right about half the time. There's also edge turning, which is similar to LW's spin quads except you wouldn't be limited to quads. There is a free plugin that will spin any two polys, but you can only do two polys at a time which kinda blows.

julos
08-18-2003, 12:45 PM
I look forward to this silo app (i ljust ove to try new tools), i do hope lightwave 8 comes with edge modeling and ngon subdivs, because the feeling of modeling directly on the subdivided object (without the cage) is wonderful, and i doubt silo does this.
Maybe Modo...

Valter
08-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Wngs3d will continuous my modeler program number one. I don't found other better then wings yet. Completely FREE and almost all week have update. Do you want more what? :)

jin choung
08-18-2003, 09:46 PM
well,

if it turns out that silo is as good as it looks and newtek makes me wait for very much longer, i might have to swap modelers.

not to mention that this seems like it's going to be a helluva challenge for MODO to compete with silo in terms of price....

this is gonna be very interesting.

jin

p.s. i posted a similar message but it seems it got moderated out.... what the heck?

Alan Daniels
08-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Valter
Wngs3d will continuous my modeler program number one. I don't found other better then wings yet. Completely FREE and almost all week have update. Do you want more what? :)

I keep reading too many good things about Wings3d. Think I'll spend some time this weekend giving it a try, and see if I'm missing anything. :)