PDA

View Full Version : Prices for Wedding Videography

stoolpigeon
08-17-2003, 11:03 PM
What's the typical going rate for wedding videography around the USA?

We are currently re-evaluating our rates and options. We offer a 1 or 2 camera shoot and charge for options and additional time.

Rates anyone? :-)

Thanks,
Chad

sbrandt
08-22-2003, 01:33 PM
I second the Pigeon...
I'd like to know that too.
Just a very few ballpark figures for general areas of production.

prospector
08-22-2003, 01:57 PM
My typical operation.

check prices in your town and neighboring towns within a cupla hours drive (or wherever you define close enought to travel).

Undercut them enough to keep yourself a profit (even small if need be).

You should then get all the buisness and they will either undercut you at a loss or go out of buisness (either way they go away)

Now you are all alone in market and can raise prices just enough to keep them out but get more profits in return.

DaveO
08-28-2003, 07:23 PM
The cost to produce a wedding is set by the Videographer based on the service to be provided and the typical market you're located in. Competition should be noted but there are a few facts that need to remain in the forefront for any professional:
- no two weddings are exactly the same
- nobody shoots/edits/produces a wedding the same way
- there are more couples seeking to have their weddings professionally videotaped then there are qualified wedding video producers to produce them
- you can only be in one place a time so you should make the most of it and charge accordingly.
- if it's agreed that Saturday is the most popular day to get married and that there are just so many Saturday's in the year with the most popular dates being between April & October (in NE that is), then you should plan and price accord to your skills and service to be provided.
- base your prices on the product you produce not on the equipment used to produce it.
- if your signing 100% of the engaged couples you interview then
your pricing is not just to low it's way to low. If your good then increase your rates by 40% immediately. If you have the product and know how to market it will sell. Couples are buying a lifetime memory and if done competently you should get paid for your efforts.
- in New England the average professionally produced wedding is about $1700-$2000 for single camera acquisition and full editing. Those charging less are either less qualified or kidding themselves into thinking they can't charge anymore or they'd lose to many clients to their competitor down the street.
The bottom line is you sell yourself and your product. If both are top notch then you will price accordingly.

ted
08-28-2003, 09:33 PM
I haven't done Weddings for 10 years, mostly due to the stress from the Brides Mother!!!

Back then I was charging about $1,500 for a two camera wedding/reception plus another $300 for a couples picture video.

Don't ever fear the competition's cheaper price. Set your price at what you need and be proud of it. As stated above, there are only so many weekends in the year, and I hope you don't want to work every one of them.

Besides, there are several people out there who don't want the cheapest vendor and making more profit makes you feel better about putting up with the stress of doing weddings, so you'll do a better job!

I hope you find a profitable solution.

dml
08-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Amen on the stress of the bride's mother! That and the wireless mic picking up stray radio stations.

Matt Drabick