PDA

View Full Version : animated lower third for live tv

hbcbroadcast
04-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Is there a way to insert an animated background into the character generator using the background for just the lower third. We do a live show and would like to use the character generator to build a lower third that would fly in and have an animated background as well as any text that we would need on top of that. The top two thirds would need to be transparent showing the video footage live. Is there a way to do this using VT5. Help please

SBowie
04-01-2009, 10:44 AM
As I wrote yesterday in the other forum, but just to kick this off here:

Assuming you are doing a live production (not a SpeedEDIT project), the CG doesn't directly handle anims, but you could put a lower third anim in a DDR and play it from there.

To lay text pages above that on the fly, you'd likely apply the text in the DSK, which in turn would require that the lower third either be separately keyed onto the program output using the switcher, or applied using a LiveSet.

hbcbroadcast
04-01-2009, 11:23 AM
thanks steve, I have thought of this however the problem is finding a good quality lower third that fits our style. Any suggestions. Second question if I cant build a lower third in the CG then is there any program that I can use to do so such as adobe premiere or others like it. any suggestions. The problem as you probably already know is the live part of it and finding transparent overlays.

Thanks hbc

SBowie
04-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Sure - AE or any number of other apps could do this. Aura is part of the VT suite, and is great at this, but not the simplest thing to learn.

You could even do it directly using SpeedEDIT's tools (using keyframed Control Tree motion, scaling and fading, as well as the animated titling tools) ... then export using one of the "SpeedHQ with Alpha" render presets.

hbcbroadcast
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Steve, you had me following right up until you mentioned "Speed HQ with Alpha" I am not sure what you mean by this. I am pretty proficient in using the control tree and keys but Speed HQ is new to me. Can you walk me through how i might be able to build it? Thanks so much

hbc

SBowie
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Steve, you had me following right up until you mentioned "Speed HQ with Alpha" I am not sure what you mean by this. I am pretty proficient in using the control tree and keys but Speed HQ is new to me. Can you walk me through how i might be able to build it? Thanks so much Use the File>Render menu to open the Render panel, and select "Video for Windows (*.avi)" as the Format. Scroll through the Presets and you'll see it.

hbcbroadcast
04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey Steve, I actually figured it out and came on here to tell you that I got it and saw where you had posted this. Thanks for your help! this opens up a world of posibilities for our productions thanks so much!

hbcbroadcast
Steven

Gusirufo
04-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Hello:

I have been playing with our Vt3 before going live and I have this problem:

I have a main camera connected to the Vt In card shooting on green BG, a still which is the background or set, and a second camera connected to the firewire.

I am having problems switching between the two cameras, when I switch to DV becomes the background.
How can I switch between the two cameras back and foward without disturb the chromakey?

Thanks

Gus