PDA

View Full Version : G5/PC vs this beast

Ade
08-17-2003, 09:39 PM
tezro (http://www.sgi.com/workstations/tezro/)

Quad cpu's i wonder how much it costs?
http://www.sgi.com/workstations/tezro/images/tezro_hdr_02.jpg

I remember Lightwave was on SGI, but what version?

Titus
08-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Wow! SGI now produces Lego blocks.

Zafar Iqbal
08-18-2003, 03:12 AM
ROFL, Titus :)

Originally posted by Ade
I remember Lightwave was on SGI, but what version? [/B]

It was LW 4.

mattclary
08-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Ade
tezro (http://www.sgi.com/workstations/tezro/)

Quad cpu's i wonder how much it costs?

You know the old saying, "If you have to ask, it's too much". :)

Draven
09-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Well, a single CPU is like $14,000, i think a quad is something like $22,000

Beamtracer
09-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Yeay, the MIPS chip! The MIPS has always been better than most of its competition. MIPS processors have a lot more power than their low megahertz clock speeds would indicate.

Interesting that they're using a quad processor setup. This is the way the world is moving... multiprocessors and soon multi-core processors.

The need for multithreaded applications (ie multiprocessor aware) will increase. If an app is not multithreaded then it'll only run at 25% speed on this SGI machine.

Multithreading is probably the single most useful speed feature a software application can have.

Draven
09-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Sure, they do have *some* more performance than their clock speed would indicate, but not as much as you think. A quad Tezro is likely to not even match a dual P4... and price-performance is no match at all, considering you could buy 4 of the IBM workstation that Discreet is using for the Linux version of Smoke for the price of that quad-processor Tezro. The idea is that the Tezro will replace both the Octane 2 and the deskside Onyx2... with an essentially off-the-shelf graphics card.

and an Opteron/Athlon64 based workstation is just fine for Lightwave :)

WizCraker
09-12-2003, 02:30 AM
Not to mention now that AMD has the 800 series of Opteron Chips shipping you can go 4-way for workstations and 8-way for servers. I already priced it for the cheapest 800 series chip which I think is around 1.3-5 GHz [can't remember, and too tired to go look it up] $769 x 4 $3076 and if you figure $600 for the board and another $400 for the extended ATX Case $2640 for the RAM [okay so I'm not going Max out on the ram, at 8 Gig per processor that would be 32 Gig of RAM, but that would be too expensive at 4 Gig DIMMS, so the price reflects 8 Gig. Oh and just a knowledge fyi, 64-bit technology allows up to 236 TerraBytes of memory give or take a Few TBytes, AMD states that 8 Gig per processor is plenty for now. The G5 on dual processor Max out at 8 Gig, I don't know why Apple did this hopefully this will change in the future]. And if you figure in about $500 for Vid Card, $270 for DVD+/-RW and CDROM, and another $500 for a nice 18" Flat Panel screen. Oh and almost forgot Windows, well were stuck with XP 32-bit for now but lets look ahead next quarter or so guess that we will have Windows XP 64-bit for AMD64 and say it'll cost $400 for Pro [I know it is a little high]. We are at around $8386 for a fully loaded system. Looks like it would be a better buy than the SGI [I wish they would put prices on their website]. Prices above were taken from online retailers sites [Of course I rounded up].

Draven
09-12-2003, 02:41 AM
Well, technically, for now Apple is stuck with OSX 32-bit until the 64-bit OS actually ships, and even then they are pretty much in the same sticky wicket as opteron users until Lightwave can recognize the 64-bit OS (or at least, the 64-bit memory addressing)

WizCraker
09-12-2003, 03:13 AM
I was just giving an example over the SGI system. Also I have feeling that 8 will have some sort of 32-64 bit compatiblity [I could be wrong, as Newtek like to be the last to transition].

Beamtracer
09-12-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Draven
Apple is stuck with OSX 32-bit until the 64-bit OS actually ships

People keep saying that the G5 will only run in 32-bit mode. It's wrong! The G5 + Panther OS will be able to address over 4GB of RAM for each application. The G5 can take 8GB of RAM, and this will soon increase to 16GB when 2GB RAM cards become available. The Panther OS can access all the 64-bit registers and math etc.

I expect Lightwave 8 to run in 64-bit mode when it is released for the G5.

Ade
09-13-2003, 04:23 AM
Code name for Panther is Smegol.

means like the LOTR character, has 2 personalities.
Bean is right that many 32bit apps will be able to access some great stuff from the G5, and if LW was built to run on 64bit SGI boxes before it shouldnt be hard to write for OS X. The marketing potential alone would favour Newtek heaps to sell the latest LW as 64bit.