PDA

View Full Version : Playing PC DVD Player on theVT(2)

Laurence Winsto
08-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Is it possable to configure the PC so the PC's DVD player outputs into the Toaster??

Paul Lara
08-17-2003, 11:01 PM
If the DVD has analog outputs you can route to VT, yes.

Laurence Winsto
08-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Hoping this wasn't the case.

Would the toaster not see it if the dvd was run through windows media player.

I am running Windows 2000 and Windows Media Player 9 does not support DVD on 2000.

I can change over but I wouldn't mind knowing if this will work?

wvp
08-20-2003, 06:38 PM
I don't think it will :(
I think you would need some type of DVD ripping program (like what is used to take CDA (music files) off a cd & convert into a computer (wav) file. This program would have to be able to rip the video into an mpeg file. Doubt it exsits as there are many, many copyright issues.
THere is a program called DVD X Copy that will make a copy of a DVD though, but I don't think it will rip it.

mgrusin
08-20-2003, 07:21 PM
I recently had to do this (note: for legal purposes :eek: ) and the easiest way we found was to record the analog output from an external player. Much easier than ripping.

From what I understand, even doing this you could run into copy protection problems, since most DVD players have macrovision which will output flashing video if it thinks it's connected to a VCR. I don't know if being hooked up to the Toaster will trigger this. We avoided it since our DVD player doesn't have macrovision, and if it did, I was planning on thawing out our old Amiga Toaster and running the video through a TBC. ;)

The guy I was working with spent a lot of time (unsuccessfully) trying to rip video directly off a DVD before coming to me to use the Toaster (which was a snap). But if you still want to try ripping, try this website: www.dvdrhelp.com (http://www.dvdrhelp.com).

Have fun! -MG

Paul Lara
08-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Laurence Winsto
Would the toaster not see it if the dvd was run through windows media player?

Actually, you can route a windows media display into the switcher (make sure you've got DirectX 9.0b)