PDA

View Full Version : Warning your coworkers about viruses is pointless...

shrox
04-01-2009, 04:44 AM
I told everybody last week, I told them again yesterday. Guess what. They got hit with the worm that I warned them about, and even gave them the link to go to microsoft for a free fix. Oh well. I'm clean.

RebelHill
04-01-2009, 05:44 AM
hmmm... in my experience this is par for the course in your psotion. The team leader gets employed to tell everyone what to do... they tell... get ignored... then everyone asks "why didnt u tell us???"

its why they invented uzis.

Matt
04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Which worm?

AbnRanger
04-01-2009, 10:23 AM
I told everybody last week, I told them again yesterday. Guess what. They got hit with the worm that I warned them about, and even gave them the link to go to microsoft for a free fix. Oh well. I'm clean.
And it get's spread just how? I've noticed no symptoms...but I always have AntiVirus active protection enabled (and use a router, a hardware firewall)...hope that's enough

realgray
04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Does the worm infect Macs?

shrox
04-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Does the worm infect Macs?

No, but apparently Macs infect their owners with a strange product loyalty affliction.

shrox
04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
And it get's spread just how? I've noticed no symptoms...but I always have AntiVirus active protection enabled (and use a router, a hardware firewall)...hope that's enough

It was just on their personal laptops. Still, it would have been very easy to prevent.

danielkaiser
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM

It's called The Cassandra Complex.

Cassandra was given the power to see the future, but no one would believe her.

AbnRanger
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
No, but apparently Macs infect their owners with a strange product loyalty affliction.Vista has been found to routinely infect Windows users with something wicked too. Side effects are are often volitile, including rage, excessive profane language, and delusions that throwing the computer out of a 5 story window will somehow relieve the symptoms. :D

I'm actually a PC owner, and I approved this message.

realgray
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
No, but apparently Macs infect their owners with a strange product loyalty affliction.

Hahahahah! Your definitely right about that! :thumbsup:

AbnRanger
04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
That would make a great MAC commercial though...I could see their new campaign spoof prescription medication ads...

shrox
04-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Vista has been found to routinely infect Windows users with something wicked too. Side effects are are often volitile, including rage, excessive profane language, and delusions that throwing the computer out of a 5 story window will somehow relieve the symptoms. :D

I'm actually a PC owner, and I approved this message.

I've done that. I bought a new HP laptop, grabbed the crappy old Toshiba one, then went to the roof of the office building I was renting, and tossed it out into the parking lot below. I told a few other people in the building, and they came out to watch. They applauded after it hit, and everyone said they have always wanted to do that. Very cathartic for all that watched.

krimpr
04-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I've done that. I bought a new HP laptop, grabbed the crappy old Toshiba one, then went to the roof of the office building I was renting, and tossed it out into the parking lot below. I told a few other people in the building, and they came out to watch. They applauded after it hit, and everyone said they have always wanted to do that. Very cathartic for all that watched.

You too Shrox??? A bad Toshiba Laptop! I have NEVER EVER been so p#@@#d at an electronic device EVER as the POS Toshiba I'm typing this with. It overheats while simply surfing the net if it doesn't have a coldpad under it, it wieghs more that a refrigerator, the keys fall off of the [email protected]&&ing keyboard, and there is a 1/2" multicoloured band running vertically down the right side of it's 17" display. And all of these problems started within 2 months of the warranty expiring. Despite numerous complaints to Toshiba (level headed complaints initially) they basically told me "sorry about your luck". I have NEVER abused it, but as soon as I can afford another laptop this thing will see abuse never before imagined. I've promised them (and myself) that I'll bad-mouth their products every chance I get. Thanks for providing an opportunity here Shrox!

A Mejias
04-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I've owned only two Toshiba products and they were BOTH deffective. They both requred major part replacments and it took more time to convince them that the products were deffective that it did to replace the deffective compenents.

In the future I will own ZERO Toshiba products.

shrox
04-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Well, I was wrong. It wasn't the Conficker worm, it was a bad power strip! Talk about an April fools joke! The cable must have a short in it, but I guessed the on and off problem was malware. Today somebody bumped the strip, some stuff flickered, and we figured out what it was. Why two other power strips were plugged into that one, I don't know, but that has been resolved.