PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave memory handling...

fabmedia
08-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Does anybody know why Lightwave uses virtual memory to handle all tasks especially while rendering. I noticed that my hard drive just grinds left and right when i choose to open, close, save an image, use Image Viewer, and especially rendering the scene. Go figure. I have 1 Gb of Ram and allocated to the rendering camera, and still no help. Now I also believe that the memory handling is the reason why I crash often before a render starts.

I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?

Arlen

DONGLE THIS!
08-18-2003, 08:49 AM
FORMAT YOUR COMPUTER, THIS IS BECAUSE YOUR SYSTEMS FILE AND APP ARE ALL ALLOCATED IN VARIOUS SECTORS.
OR DO A FULL DEFRAGMENT.
THIS SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THAT GRINDING SOUND.

OR, IF YOU INSTALL WIN2000, DELETE ALL PARTITION, AND CREATE A FRESH ONE WITH NTFS.

AND YOUR SYSTEM WILL NEVER CRASH. THIS IS CALLED MAINTENANCE

fabmedia
08-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Always and already done. I defragment my machine once or twice a week depending on how busy I am. My OS was re-installed about 1.5 months ago so that isn't an issue. Not too sure what could be causing the problem, but I would never have thought that the OS could be the culprit.

Arlen

mattclary
08-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Fabmedia, pull up task manager with LightWave running and look at the memory usage for it an other programs. I would look under the Process tab to get that info, then look under the Performance tab to see what overall mem usage looks like. If you atke screenshots and e-mail them to me at [email protected], I'll be happy to take a look.

fabmedia
08-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Ah yes, sorry, I didn't mention that I'm on a "Mac". Ta-dah! I'm about to start another render. I'll open my task manager and take a look. I know that the processors (dual) are always up and down and never really at their full peak of processing power. I'm not too sure why.

Arlen