PDA

View Full Version : Gigabit network and Toaster

John Melvin
02-08-2003, 10:23 AM
I posted this over on Safe Harbor but maybe there is more traffic here.

If you had two TNT2 systems and you installed Gigabit network cards and hub would you be able to share video files back and forth seamlessly. i.e. is there enough bandwidth there so that you would not have to physically transport files from one computer to the other??

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

John:)

eheupel
02-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Haven't tested it, but I would suggest either using a switch or a straight PC-PC connection using a cross over cable...too much bandwidth gets lost in hub situations, and too many dropped packets which for video capture would be very bad. This is especially true if there are multiple systems (ie more than just the 2) connected.

One thing to bear in mind is that all networking products have a "sweet" spot. This is the spot that maximizes bandwidth usage and minimizes (eliminates ideally) packet loss. Most modern intel and 3Com ethernet products through a decently switched network this occurs around 35-55% bandwidth utilization. If that follows for the gigabit adapters... then you would be looking at a transfer rate around 30 to 50MB/s. This looks very good for what you are trying to do. Of course it may be neccessary to tweak window size and a number of other parameters to find this sweet spot.

A number of tools are available to help test and tweak these settings.

Worst case scenario you would have to transfer the files across the network but at GIG speed that would be exceptionally fast and painless, and dropped packets would not be nearly as important.

Hope this has helped some. Let us know if you test it.. I am looking forward to doing some 1000base networking soon.

ren_at_home
02-08-2003, 07:09 PM
I have a gigabit LAN card on my VT2 machine and I doubt very much that you could access RTV happily (i.e. stress free) from a "server" box loaded full of footage.
Playback may be ok but dragging in TEd I'm sure would be a pain.
Don't forget that you would have to render for final output to tape as you couldn't risk the network hicuping for such a task.

With limited success I was able to play (not scrub) DV files over a 100M LAN network so if you were to do a low resolution edit you may well be able to scrub across a Gigabit LAN.
(DV file size on 100M compares to RTV on Gigabit)

I'm not that familiar with all the terminology (off line/on line etc) but can VT2 edit from lo-rez files and then switch to hi-rez ones or would swapping a folder full of files be the way to get TEd to load the hi-rez ones after all the editing is done?
If VT2 gets a content directory thing like Lightwave then moving projects may be easier.

You can but try (and then post yer results)

good luck

Ren

btw - transfering a few GB of footage over any network is not
painless - especially when your past the deadline ;)

SBowie
02-08-2003, 09:09 PM
I can't answer that specific question (though it seems unlikely to me), but there a a couple network mavens on the yahoogroups Toaster list, so you might want to post it again there :)

Faraz
02-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Toaster can't do off-line editng and then convert it to on-line. This would requie batch capture. Once we get batch capture we can do it. I can play DV files over a 100Mbit network and it seems to work fine. Once we have batch capture then you could consider, doing off-line storage on a network. Once your whole project is done, you could re-load the hi-res content back into the local machine.