PDA

View Full Version : Last day for Companion Upgrade, need to decide

TimothyB
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
I've got it in my cart, pdf version, $650 after tax and shipping. Seems like a great price still just for Lightwave 9.6 (despite going up $100 since Core announcement), which I'd be moving to from Carrara 6 Pro. I haven't done much in 3D, but I like to model, and the 24 hour tutorial looks nice, plenty of options of each tool, reminds me of Zbrush interface I like.

But I kind of like the idea of being part of the beta where I could suggest tools that I'd like to see with modeling. I've mostly learned modeling in a buggy Hexagon. I take it they'll listen to a lot of us to develop tools we suggest? That seems like a great benefit, as usually if you leave one software for another, you end up missing some tools that are hard to live without.

Anyone can compare Hexagon to Lightwave modelings, and any expect Core modeling to at least be better or as good as modern modeling tools like Modo? But I hear for some things, people still go back to Hexagon from Modo to use certain tools.

E-mailing Newtek, I said I had Aftereffects, Photoshop, Carrara Pro, Zbrush, and they said all those qualify for the companion upgrade.

I've been holding off since I work for a newspaper, and just barely survived a 3rd round of layoffs, been stressed out this whole time waiting for info on Core to justify my hobby. Oddly though, I've used Carrara Pro more for work than ever at home. I also had perfect timing by getting a Presidents McClatchy award that got me a $600 prize after taxes, exact cost of Lightwave.

Anyone else on the fence to purchasing the companion upgrade today, being the last chance ever. Every other site that sells the companion upgrade constantly lists it as on order, and never has the same qualifications. And Safe Harbor just sold their last in stock copy today. I feel at least I get a great program today, 9.6, and I also guaranteed the first version of Core, so it's more like $300 for 9.6 now, then $300 for Core later, pretty cheap

adamredwoods
03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Amapi was good. Hexagon was SOOOOO buggy, that it was unusable for me.

I am not on the fence with Core, as I've decided to wait. But if (I say IF) you decide to go with Lightwave, the offer is amazing.

To help decide, think about what you want to get OUT OF YOURSELF with 3D: illustration, visual effects, architectural renderings, animation, motion graphics. And keep in mind character animation is very difficult with just one person.

thomascheng
03-31-2009, 05:24 PM
I signed up today, but I'm big fan and can't wait to get my hands on the new Core. Lightwave is a great program, very friendly to people who wants to do everything by themselves without the need of a team. The Price is right too.

geothefaust
03-31-2009, 05:27 PM
In response to part of your query, as I don't have a lot of time at the moment...

Yes, they will listen to you as a user, we've already seen quite a few instances of such. :)

A Mejias
03-31-2009, 05:53 PM
I say do it. Do it NOW!

LW 9.6, even with the missing stuff, is the best LW upgrade to date! LW Core should get thing going in the right direction. Hopefuly it will be a "complete" package that will do 90% of what LW 9.6 can do. Either way it's a great deal for you. You'll have LW 9.6 & LW Core.

TimothyB
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
All right, I think I'll do it. I just hope, like said, that the first shipping version of Core (Q4) has most of what 9.6 did so it can stand alone, or compare to the latest offering from other software . I understand the current beta is all on modeling right now, which is what I hope to do first.