PDA

View Full Version : Lightwaves memory handling...

fabmedia
08-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Does anybody know why Lightwave uses virtual memory to handle all tasks especially while rendering. I noticed that my hard drive just grinds left and right when i choose to open, close, save an image, use Image Viewer, and especially rendering the scene. Go figure. I have 1 Gb of Ram and allowcate almost everything i can to it, and still no help. Now I also believe that the memory handling is the reason why I crash often before a render starts.

Any ideas?

Arlen

Mattoo
08-17-2003, 04:05 PM
I think there's something wrong with your setup. What you describe shouldn't happen.
What do you mean by "allocate almost everything to it".... are you using a Mac?
If you're on PC it sounds like you've got some memory problems going on. As an example, my setup will only start using VM for a render when the 1Gb of RAM is used up, which is something I generally try and avoid.

btw. shouldn't this be in the "Support" forum?

fabmedia
08-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Oh, I guess it should be in the support forum. Yes I'm on a Mac, OS X, but the segmented memory of the camera is set at 1 Gb. Now what kills me is that it'll just grind and grind and grind getting the scene to the rendering stage, then about 33% of the time it'll crash. Now I make sure that my HD is defragmented 1 or 2 times per week, and lately I've not had any other applications running while LW is doing it's job, but I still am having these problems. I'm not too sure what to do about it. I know this shouldn't be happening, but it is.

Arlen

Mattoo
08-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Sorry, I know nothing of Macs but it still doesn't sound right at all.

All I can tell you is that the Segment Memory shouldn't really be set to 1Gb. 100mb is usually more than enough. That settings is only for the final frame buffer memory - .not for the memory that LW will use to store the textures and geometry while rendering. So unless you're rendering really high res renders then 100mb should be fine.

But even then, it shouldn't be thrashing your harddrive like that as the Segment Memory just defines an upper limit for the frame to use, if it doesn't need the full amount it won't use it.

Somthing else is wrong and really don't think it's LW - unless ofcourse you've gone crazy on the render subdivide?

js33
08-17-2003, 07:21 PM
fabmedia,

What size images are you rendering? This will determine the size the segment memory should be set to. Tha maximum size is the size needed to render in one camera pass. If you need really high rez renders you should usually break it up into more segments instead of trying to render it in one. If you are rendering for video or DVD your segment memory only needs to be 14mb to render a frame of that size (720x480 or 720x486) in one camera pass.

Setting it to 1 Gb is not necessary as Matto said this doesn't determine the amount of mem LW uses for loading your scene and images only the memory for the render frame buffer.

Cheers,
JS

fabmedia
08-17-2003, 07:52 PM
I render anythiing from NTCS to print (8.5 x 11 @ 300 dpi). Maybe what is happening is that the segmented memory setting chews up all the RAM that the system wants to use. What does that sound like?

Arlen

Beamtracer
08-17-2003, 08:13 PM
The default Segment Memory (in the Camera Properties window) is 8MB. Usually people set this a bit higher. Maybe 64MB. Maybe 128MB.

But 1Gig in the Segment Memory??? I think that's where the problem is. There is no RAM left to do anything else, so the OS starts using virtual memory.

extrabyte
08-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Ditto on what Beamtracer said.

fabmedia
08-17-2003, 08:48 PM
Right'o. I'll do a test and let you know.

Arlen