PDA

View Full Version : Can you give feedback on a simple illustration?

wtdedula
03-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello All;
I'd like you to take a quick look at a very simple illustration and let me know if you have any suggestions on how it can be improved. This will be used in an illustration for some educational curriculum. Take a look at the original image that I'm trying to reproduce in LW 9.6. I have posted both images. I am particularly interested in feedback on the lighting but will anything else would be welcome too. I have had LW for a long time but am just beginning to really learn and use it a lot.

Thanks.

Tim

adamredwoods
03-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Depends what your objective is:
How is the object suppose to be interpreted? Flat illustration or realism? Is it suppose to look exactly like cardboard as in the original image?

If it's for explanatory purposes, then simple, quick renders are best.

wtdedula
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Good Question, adamredwoods.

I basically want it to look like a nicely drawn illustration which will reproduce well in Black & White as well as color. I am using LW to make up for my terrible artistic abilities :-(.

And while I know LW is certaintly capable of it, I do not want it to look exactly like the original as that is a bit sloppily done.

I may have other questions about this illustration as well since I am having difficulty doing a few things, and am also having a few rendering issues.

Tim

JeffrySG
04-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I would add some other lights to give you some rim highlights and some slightly different colored lights on different sides. Do some research on standard 3-light setups for studio lighting. It will help the object pop a bit more.

shrox
04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Is that a docking collar for an airlock?

RebelHill
04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I am using LW to make up for my terrible artistic abilities

hmmm... not wishing to put a downer on anything but to me thats like saying "im trying to use a karaoke machine to make up for my awful singing voice"...

If its for an illustration only, Id say sod the lighting, turn on render edges, white backdrop, and use an area light for some soft shading... maybe a celshade surface...

the simplest approach is often the best imo.

JeffrySG
04-02-2009, 07:41 AM
hmmm... not wishing to put a downer on anything but to me thats like saying "im trying to use a karaoke machine to make up for my awful singing voice"...

If its for an illustration only, Id say sod the lighting, turn on render edges, white backdrop, and use an area light for some soft shading... maybe a celshade surface...

the simplest approach is often the best imo.

:agree:

wtdedula
04-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the comments, fellas. I have a few more questions.

In response to Rebelhill's suggestions, Is "Render Edges" the same thing as "Render Outlines" ? I can't find render edges but when I turn on Render Outlines for both objects, the object appears more complex. See attached. If they're different, could you let me know where to find "Render Edges"? I didn't try the lighting stuff yet. Perhaps this is why the object looks overly complicated.

Additionally, going my previous route, I can't figure out why the blue background spills over into some of the areas that should be covered.

Any thoughts on ways to prevent this ? Thanks.

Tim

RebelHill
04-07-2009, 03:23 AM
bg is visible cos ur surface isnt double sided...

and render edges its on the edges tab of the object properties, ull likely only want silhouette edges