PDA

View Full Version : coating object with points

biliousfrog
03-31-2009, 03:12 AM
I need to cover a shipwreck object with points to use for cloning coral objects...what's the best way?

The difficult part is that the surface obviously doesn't have even polygon distribution so I can't just subdivide it or generate particles on it because the more detailed areas will have many more points.

What I considered is using a particle generator and have the particles 'stick' to the object...then use those to clone objects (maybe buy HD Instance). In theory I thought that it might work but in practice I have never done anything like that before so I wanted to get some input from anyone that has done something similar.

The advantage to using 'sticky' particles is that I can drop them from above and get realistic growth on the top of the object only.

aaronv2
03-31-2009, 03:21 AM
i have two ideas... you can either...

1) Use the geometry verticies, if you make a copy of your object and either use bandsaw to give it some divisions and then subdivide your object and then kill the polys (k on keyboard) you will be left with a point cloud that you can use a selection technique to select points.

2) You cut out the polys you want to build the barnicles on. And use clothfx to drape a mesh over your model and then save the transformed object and use modeler to subdivide that and thus kill the polys leave the points.

Otherwise particles would be a good idea too however you wil probably need to play with the settings for a while until u get something desirable

biliousfrog
03-31-2009, 04:11 AM
i have two ideas... you can either...

1) Use the geometry verticies, if you make a copy of your object and either use bandsaw to give it some divisions and then subdivide your object and then kill the polys (k on keyboard) you will be left with a point cloud that you can use a selection technique to select points.

2) You cut out the polys you want to build the barnicles on. And use clothfx to drape a mesh over your model and then save the transformed object and use modeler to subdivide that and thus kill the polys leave the points.

Otherwise particles would be a good idea too however you wil probably need to play with the settings for a while until u get something desirable

The first option doesn't work very well, I've already tried that and the difference in polygon size makes the point cloud very uneven.

The second option is quite clever and certainly worth a go :thumbsup:

aaronv2
03-31-2009, 05:48 AM
the un evenness in the point cloud can work to your advantage because barnicles bunch up in crevices and bevels on a ship. ive also thaught about using an occlusion node to maybe determine the intensity of a weght map to use in your cloning? just thinking out loud.

can anyone inform me if you can use things like weight maps and texture map intensity to use as selections? I would think it would have to be cheated using hardfx or something again just thinking out loud.

SteveH
03-31-2009, 07:45 AM
If you cut up the geometry like Aaronv2 suggested - you can then do a merge on the points using 'fixed distance' to reduce the number of points on your polygon heavy sections. Oh - I'd jitter the points a few times first though.

cagey5
03-31-2009, 08:05 AM
SteveH's merge points seems to work well. I made a dense sphere, slightly larger than the object [in a background layer]. Killed the polys and run PointFit. Ran merge points and Bobs your auntie.

aaronv2
03-31-2009, 08:35 AM
"Point Fit" You say?

*runs to modeler*

biliousfrog
03-31-2009, 08:37 AM
The problem with that is not reducing the points in the denser areas but getting the sparser areas dense enough first....I've just tried it and I've hit a million polys before I'm anywhere near dense enough...the model that is, I'm dense enough already ;)

biliousfrog
03-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Ah...forgot about point fit: http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/graphics/plugins/POINTFIT.HTML

SteveH
03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
You can also spray points - where ever you'd like - increasing areas you want lots of coral. Then use your point fit. If needed you can also then merge points with distance to keep the cloned objects form being on top of each other. HD Instance that with a few different types of corol and you're golden.

I myself could surely use a 'less dense' routine or plug in. My wife would absolutely agree.:D

biliousfrog
04-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I bought HD Instance to clone to the points...and discovered that it can randomly clone over the surface anyway...DOH!

Anyway, it looks like a great plugin (although very slow)...should do the job nicely.

mike_stening
04-03-2009, 04:35 AM
wow thanks for the pointfit link, really cool tool.
certainly made fitting the bottle and label i have been working on alot quicker and more accurate, i can see this plugin getting alot of use

thanks

prometheus
04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
If nothing else works..then there´s this oldie, Meshpaint!

http://www.evasion3d.com/mp_lw_intro.html

Michael

Abigor
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
pointfit link is gone. can anyone post it up for download?

nickdigital
07-29-2009, 04:22 PM
http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/