PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Dongle and Sleep

digitalrelm
03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi Guys

This may be a bit of a stupid question but here go's.

Dose putting a mac to sleep with devices plugged in damage any of those devices. My main concerns are the hardware dongle and my tablet.

Thanks

digitalrelm

Aluminium 24" iMac / 10.5.6 Leopard / 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 GM RAM

brian.coates
03-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Personally I've never heard of or experienced that situation.

A USB mouse attached to a Mac will wake it from sleep mode, so I assume that USB ports don't actually 'shut down' when your machine goes to sleep - they are simply checked for connectivity less often.

Chilton
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Does putting a mac to sleep with devices plugged in damage any of those devices?

In short, no.

USB devices, in order to comply with the USB spec (and various weird agencies you have to have sign off on your device before you can sell it), have to work within a certain power range .

Commercial USB chips, like those used in every commercial USB Tablet on the market, are very robust, and power fluctuations within the USB spec won't harm them in any way. The Sentinel dongle is an extremely simple device, compared to a tablet, and can withstand quite a bit of abuse.

The only problems I've ever had with either of those is an old tablet that used to drain the power on my PowerBook, because of the input device's proximity to the base.

-Chilton