PDA

View Full Version : Wrap deformer deformations in Lightwave???

Revanto
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I was just watching this Maya vid regarding wrap deformers and just wondered if it would be possible to simulate this in Lightwave.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Revanto :p

Dodgy
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
The closest thing is the Metalink and Hardlink deformers. Make the hi poly object a child of the lo poly mesh, and apply metalink to the child. Add clothfx to the parent, and hot scan motion in the File Tab. The deformation of the lo poly mesh will affect the hi poly object.

Revanto
03-31-2009, 03:33 AM
Sorry, I'm confused. Can you provide a clearer step-by-step. I managed to scan the motion of the lo res mesh but the high res mesh isn't following/conforming. I think I may have missed something.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Revanto
04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Edited - OK, sorry for the bump and whine... I found the solution in Lightwiki.

Thanks, Dodgy for your help.

Cheers,

Revanto
04-05-2009, 04:19 PM
OK, so I tried the technique as outlined by Dodgy and Lightwiki but I'm getting alot of points that are not affected by the deformation of the lores meshes IE a number of points of the hi res mesh remain static even after the deformation of the lo res mesh.

Does anyone know how to increase the influence of the lo res mesh on the higher one?

I should note that that lo res mesh already emcompasses the hi res mesh completely including buffer space.

Cheers,

Dodgy
04-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Do you have any skelegons in the 'wrap' layer? They might be affecting the high res mesh because they have points, and may not be getting deformed. Remove them from the layer and you might find it working properly.

Revanto
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Beautiful! You're a genius, Dodgy!

This is going to make my life alot easier and it's going to help my friend who is currently making an entry for Dominance War. Now he can deform his high res meshes with more confidence.

Cheers,

Dodgy
04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Nope, just done it before and had that same problem :)

imshadi
10-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Nope, just done it before and had that same problem :)

I wonder if the guy's problem had anything to do with the fact that he was trying to use the deforming object as a Cage Deformer. As far as I know, Wrap Deformers are used to fix an object to the surface of another, like relatively tight clothes.

One very important thing to remember when using METALINK is that the parent object HAS TO HAVE CLOTHFX APPLIED. If your object deformation was something other than ClothFX (say morphs or bones), Apply CLOTHFX, scan the motion and save it. After that, it should deform your child object beautifully (exactly like Wrap Deformer in Maya). The reason for this is that only ClothFX passes down information to Metalink. If you used some other way to read a point cache, the effect would not work.

This is an example of what I used this for. I created a bottle that I unwrapped into a flat surface so I could model nice droplets on top of it, I inverted the morphs so my flat surface would deform into a bottle after that and with Metalink it dragged the droplets along with it, deforming them nicely to fit the shape fo the bottle.

jeric_synergy
10-04-2015, 12:58 AM
Clever, and valuable info. Thanks.

imshadi
03-09-2016, 06:53 PM
I also found out recently that if you scan the motion of an object with more subdivisions (in general more polys), the effect is of even better quality. At first I thought a lower deforming object would work better.