PDA

View Full Version : Using Datalink with a Database

FairfieldMedia
03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Does anyone have any experience using DataLink with a networked database. I'm looking to create databases for sports that can be updated to reflect detailed statistics, names, facts, etc.. Has anyone tried this with MySQL?

Right now, I'm not sure what's involved with configuring the database to work with the tricaster and datalink.

mhankins
06-17-2009, 06:19 AM
It is sooo good!! I am loving it, I currently am using it on the Australian PBR circuit (Bull riding) for Lower 3rd's, leader boards , rider/bull info , etc... Here is the setup, I am not using it as MySQL just simply creating a text file formated as Key = Value that is generated via a database. I am using a Filemaker template/script to update the info. The (Windose) laptop is ringside and the Tricaster/VT5.2 (I have used both) is a 100m away in a OB Van. What you could do with this setup is really up to you and your imagination. Once you get it sorted out it is very cool, rock solid and very flexible. Loving Datalink!

SBowie
06-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for posting your real-world experience. Datalink's ascii file and database support is very versatile, and certainly lends itself to a number of powerful and creative applications.

Paul Lara
06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
...it is very cool, rock solid and very flexible. Loving Datalink!

Marty,
The postmaster said your e-mail box was full. Can you drop me an e-mail ([email protected])?

Thanks,

Paul

stuartbrewton
07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know which solution would work better for taking Twitter info with Avatars and incorporating them into lower thirds?

Since Data link doesn't support non Ascii characters would there be a way to take this into Live text and quickly make them animate on and off as pre formatted lower thirds?

ttracy
10-09-2009, 02:20 PM
My company just purchased a TriCaster package with LiveText and DataLink today - We'll be using it to pull stock info and market data. The possibilities seem endless!

Has anyone out there in the community done something similar?

--Tim

oetv
10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I have a VT 5 and use a laptop to run Live Text and have the same question. I'm afraid to get involved with the Data Link because I've heard bad things.

SBowie
10-22-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm afraid to get involved with the Data Link because I've heard bad things.I'm not in sales or tech support, but I just checked the bug database for Datalink and there's really very little in there waiting to be fixed ... a couple feature requests, but not many complaints. There's one about a problem with international characters, another on an install issue, but really very little...

danbricker
10-26-2009, 07:28 PM
As with anything you dont have experience with. You might want to find someone who works with Databases (programming side) on a regular basis to help you set it up and show you how it works. I have not see it but having worked in IT for 15 years i know Database setup can be a bit overwelming if you dont know what you are looking at.

Rangers4me
11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
We make this easy, no database experience necessary. Full details and a free trial at ScoreKeepr.com (http://www.scorekeepr.com).

stijef
06-13-2011, 02:14 AM
As with anything you dont have experience with. You might want to find someone who works with Databases (programming side) on a regular basis to help you set it up and show you how it works. I have not see it but having worked in IT for 15 years i know Database setup can be a bit overwelming if you dont know what you are looking at.

Databases are part of my multi year experience in web development. I think I can help you, if you still need an assistance? Just drop me an email (the address is listed on the Streaming site (http://streaming.hr)) :thumbsup:

jmmultex
06-13-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm guessing the only way to insert images is to first write them out as files and make the file reference via Datalink? (i.e. - you can't do it directly from an image bit stream embedded in a database...)

Thanks,
John

SBowie
06-13-2011, 03:57 PM
You're correct, John, sorry. At this time at least, database (and text file) support is limited to text.

jmmultex
06-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I wasn't voicing a problem - just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. The latest Datalink really rocks, and I have no complaints about working around it's particular requirements...

...well...

...at least until I start using it heavily and end up getting ticked off about some trivial interface quirk that everyone else is fine with :D

Not that that ever happens here.

Thanks for the reply,

-john