PDA

View Full Version : 3D apps and SLi configurations.

melvinch
03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Can someone kindly explain to me why 3D applications can't make full use of a dual vga card combo to speed up screen interactivity ?

Why can't such a combo speed up things like cloth or dynamics simulation in the apps if they can do it for games ?

Liber777
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard that SLi works only with full-screen apps like games, and not with windowed applications.

Perhaps if a pro app opened its own screen independent of the OS desktop then this performance could be utilized...?

Hopper
03-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Can someone kindly explain to me why 3D applications can't make full use of a dual vga card combo to speed up screen interactivity ?
Without going into specific detail, the new LW CORE product will do just that.

Why can't such a combo speed up things like cloth or dynamics simulation in the apps if they can do it for games ?
As for dynamics/animation/rendering, we haven't been told exactly what the usage will be, but rumor has it that this will also be available in the new CORE product.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard that SLi works only with full-screen apps like games, and not with windowed applications.
Yup.

Perhaps if a pro app opened its own screen independent of the OS desktop then this performance could be utilized...?
Yup

Keep in mind, SLI (Scalable Link Interface) is not the only way to utilize one or more GPU's.

melvinch
03-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all the quick answers !

Looks like CORE is really going hard-core this time....:thumbsup:

warmiak
03-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I guess finally people with latest NVidia cards will get to utilize CUDA for something :-)