realgray
03-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I knew all my COD4/5 time wasn't a waste!:thumbsup:

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE52S1TW20090329

shrox
03-30-2009, 04:21 AM
I knew all my COD4/5 time wasn't a waste!:thumbsup:

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE52S1TW20090329

I don't think staring at a fixed plane is space is all that good (the surface of the monitor), one needs to shift one's focal distance quite often for good eye health. Every few minutes I look out the window at something for a bit, or at least across the room.

shrox
03-30-2009, 05:40 AM
I think you are right. Sadly I've gone and ruined my eyes over the years and this year will very likely be when I cave in and get glasses. I've been glued to a monitor for almost 20 years, for too many hours a day. I've become short sighted to a level where it is becoming noticeably annoying and my night vision has suffered due to this as well.

Beware the fixed plane, it is bad over time.

I am about the only person my age I know that isn't half blind from staring at a monitor or deaf from wearing earphones. I think it's alarming how many people I have to repeat myself to, because they can't hear lower decibels, and I have noticed how loudly they speak.

(I'm 44 and have been doing CG for 20 years now as well.)

Matt
03-30-2009, 05:51 AM
They'll be able to replace whole eyeballs like in Minority Report soon anyway! :D

It probably DOES do something for your reaction time though.

Matt
03-30-2009, 05:53 AM
I think it's alarming how many people I have to repeat myself to, because they can't hear lower decibels, and I have noticed how loudly they speak

DJing didn't help me in that regard, I'm the worst for hearing people in bars etc. It's really annoying actually.

meshpig
03-30-2009, 06:55 AM
Yep. The bottom line with your eyesight is use it or lose it. I'm losing mine slowly and force myself to play games for the same reason.

Manage to shoot down a few planes per session here at

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

Ouch, I even have online rank! Pretty cool combat flight sim.

m

shrox
03-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Yep. The bottom line with your eyesight is use it or lose it...

Use it to the fullest extent you mean. Get outside at least twice a day and look toward the horizon for 10 minutes or so. Our ancestors shifted focus all day long, from tasks at hand to scanning the horizon for threats and prey. Those with bad eyesight often didn't live long as adults.

meshpig
03-30-2009, 07:40 AM
At least my hearing is still extremely good

People should definitely beware of using earphones.

Only if they're turned up to insane levels. ie. Kids and iPods and their avatars of R&R.

Arrived lately have we?

m

Hopper
03-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I'm in Neverko's boat. I've been trashing my eyes with this stuff since 1980 with the crappy little Wyse terminals we used. Since then it's been non-stop retina burn. I would imagine panels are now a lot better than CRT's (if you turn the intensity down a bit), but I think it's too late for me.
Which reminds me ... It's been about 5 years since my last eye exam. Great, now I have to make an appointment.

But dammit - I can still hear a pin drop from across the room. :)

shrox
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
...But dammit - I can still hear a pin drop from across the room. :)

Yes, but can you hear a pin dropped on carpet?

Hopper
03-30-2009, 08:15 AM
I didn't say I could hear the pin "land"... Anyone can do that. I can actually hear it "drop". All those little molecules screaming to get out of the way. Man, it's like a rock concert I tell ya. :D

JeffrySG
03-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I try to remind myself to look out the window every so often but I usually forget. But when I do look I can feel my eyes really relax. The older I get the more I really notice the strain of staring at the monitor for long periods without getting a break...

I still have ringing in my ears from the crazy loud concerts of the 80's and the garage band practice sessions... The kids and their loud headphones will regret it in 20 years.

shrox
03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
I didn't say I could hear the pin "land"... Anyone can do that. I can actually hear it "drop". All those little molecules screaming to get out of the way. Man, it's like a rock concert I tell ya. :D

What?

meshpig
03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Use it to the fullest extent you mean. Get outside at least twice a day and look toward the horizon for 10 minutes or so. Our ancestors shifted focus all day long, from tasks at hand to scanning the horizon for threats and prey. Those with bad eyesight often didn't live long as adults.

Shrox

Hilarious. Yes, that sort of thing.

A good argument for the sociological causes of astigmatism but a bad romantic tale where it comes to "ancestors".

- "Those with bad eyesight often didn't live long as adults." obviously lived long enough at one point to pass on their faulty genes.

Same for all sorts of genetic inheritance.

m:)

shrox
03-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Shrox

Hilarious. Yes, that sort of thing.

A good argument for the sociological causes of astigmatism but a bad romantic tale where it comes to "ancestors".

- "Those with bad eyesight often didn't live long as adults." obviously lived long enough at one point to pass on their faulty genes.

Same for all sorts of genetic inheritance.

m:)

I meant pre-civilization ancestors.

Mike_RB
03-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Even those ones lived long enough to pass on their faulty genes. Otherwise the genes in question would have been in the stomachs of predator ancestors rather than in our modern DNA.

shrox
03-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Even those ones lived long enough to pass on their faulty genes. Otherwise the genes in question would have been in the stomachs of predator ancestors rather than in our modern DNA.

Yes, but there was probably a far fewer percentage than there are today.

Mike_RB
03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Yes, but there was probably a far fewer percentage than there are today.

Not sure what your point is. That Cro-Magnon man might have had on average better eyesight than us? Maybe. But the time it takes for a computer monitor to wreck you vision is probably the entire length of Cro-Magnon's lifespan. His eyesight probably wasn't that sharp after he was fourty, because he was dead. I'd say if you add up all the 60 year olds that see pretty well we're still doing better on average.

shrox
03-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Not sure what your point is. That Cro-Magnon man might have had on average better eyesight than us? Maybe. But the time it takes for a computer monitor to wreck you vision is probably the entire length of Cro-Magnon's lifespan. His eyesight probably wasn't that sharp after he was fourty, because he was dead. I'd say if you add up all the 60 year olds that see pretty well we're still doing better on average.

No point, nevermind.

Hopper
03-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Holy crap .. did you just hear all those pins go by? WHOOOOSH!! .. :D

meshpig
03-30-2009, 09:27 AM

OK, so who would they be archaeologically?

shrox
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM
OK, so who would they be archaeologically?

I don't know, pre-WalMart. Or pre-Bring out Your Dead Mart.

As for vision, I would think it self evident. Go out and try to catch a ball with your vision blurred, or one eye closed.

Hopper
03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
As for vision, I would think it self evident. Go out and try to catch a ball with your vision blurred, or one eye closed.
Hell yeah ... any excuse to be a pirate! Arrrrrrgggg.

realgray
03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Fox News is now reporting on this.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,511499,00.html

Hopper
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Fox News is now reporting on this.

So the study basically finds that playing action based video games are like steroids for your eyes. Yes, it can "train your brain" to see things faster, discern objects in varying light conditions, or even improve your overall reaction time to visual stimuli, but eventually the long term affects are ultimately detrimental if not used in moderation. In no way shape or form will playing video games for hours on end ever "improve" your eyesight. That would just be a load of crap. I realize that this is not the point that they are attempting to make, but they are failing to at least mention the obvious.

I think everyone should pick up smoking... it will train your nose to sense things that are burning faster.

meshpig
03-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't know, pre-WalMart. Or pre-Bring out Your Dead Mart.

I agree, we take a hit in terms of learning to read, drive etc. ie. Indigenous Australians who haven't been exposed to the blackboard have x6 times better eyesight.

I do 3D with less than %10 of my FOV and know of blind Karate practitioners who actually get better at it the less they rely on their eyesight.

m