PDA

View Full Version : Bad day at work...turns into two bad days.

Dexter2999
03-29-2009, 11:16 AM
You ever get something you think you should be able to model in 20 minutes or so, then find out it is a nightmare even in it's simplicity?

I have to model a couple of shaped balloons. And for the last two days it has been "there is pinching over here" or "there's a dent in that one".

Seriously?

So, I make a few cuts here and there to get some more control points only to find out I have created new pinching issues and more of them. So I spend the better part of my day redoing a simple star shaped balloon to get the control points where I need them and only where I need them.

::Sigh:: Days like this almost make me want to give up on 3D.

AdamAvenali
03-29-2009, 11:26 AM
i have experienced such days. i'm assuming just about every artist in any medium has.

mine usually come when we accept a model for arch-viz from an architect done in something like Revit and they want us to cut the price because the model is already built. well, it almost never imports cleanly and we end up pretty much rebuilding the model entirely.

those are the days that i question it haha

Nangleator
03-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I blame the client. Stupid client!!

I had a brochure cover for a... Well, it's something like this. (http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/images/3D_Product_4.jpg) So I model it, which involves me jumping through some awful hoops. This is 1997 or so, and I wasn't particularly fast or clever.

(This project taught me it's best to take the time to learn how to build something in a way that's easily reproduceable, and very flexible. Each edit on this project involved rebuilding most of the model each time -- a multi-hour task.)

Most of the edits I got were from my print manager, who said, "Make it smooth. It's got to be a perfect curve." Well, I had the product corkscrewing around in a correct way, but she meant a perfect curve from the camera's perspective. In other words, perfect curves on the 2D page of a corkscrew shape that also has to be smooth in 3D. Notice in my link above the lower left part of the curve? She'd call that a kink. Grr!

This involved trying to get the perspective view in the 3D window in Modeler to match the camera view in Layout, and modeling that way. The cover went through 17 iterations like that.

I feel your pain.