PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions anyone - VT-5 Quicktime Capture halts a few minutes after starting captur

wtdedula
03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello All;
I am trying to capture the contents of a 2-hour VHS tape to the Hard Drive in the Quicktme format. However, everytime I start capture, the capture starts OK but then stops after 3-4 minutes of capturing. Anyone know what may be causing this and what I can do to prevent it ? I am capturing to my system Hard Drive which is SATA. I really need this to work Sunday morning. Thanks for any help and suggestions you can provide.

Tim

SBowie
03-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Unfortunately, 'capturing to Quicktime' doesn't provide as much info as you might imagine. Like AVI, Quicktime represents an entire collection of codecs. Some are more or less uncompressed, and others are highly so. Broadly, though, more compression means taxing your system resources more during capture - for some it is a very intensive process. The system may simply be unable to handle the task.

You might try a less compressed Quicktime codec, or capture to something that works and convert later if you must.

wtdedula
03-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Steve or anyone else;
Thanks for your comments. It so happens I am going to work with this captured file on a Mac so I thought Quicktime would be my best option. However, that said, can you think of a better format to use that would be compatible with a Mac but would be less compressed so as to not tax the system so much ? In the meantime, I'll play with a few different formats to hopefully get better results.

Tim

PIZAZZ
03-29-2009, 10:05 AM
use .avi DV Type2

wtdedula
03-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Jef, and Steve;
Now I see what's happening. I am getting a "Capture Aborted" message about 3 minutes into the capture whether I use Quicktime, or the .avi dv type 2. I did a search and it was suggested that maybe my disk has a bad spot so I'm going to try a portable drive and see if I can get further.

Tim

SBowie
03-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I haven't really tried capturing as Quicktime, but the least compressed codecs would be "None" and "Animation" - don't know how successful those might be for you. It might be that a fairly fast system would support capture to DV25. I doubt h.264 or similar would work well. Perhaps someone else has tried these alternatives and can pitch in.

Edit - Arg ... didn't see the last message above before posting. I suppose it could be the disk. Does capture to rtv also fail?

ScorpioProd
03-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Are you capturing "Program" or "Main"?

Whichever you are doing, try using the other one and see if it still aborts after a few minutes.

kltv
03-30-2009, 12:03 AM
It could be the old FAT32 file size limitation... Is the volume you are capturing to formatted in FAT32? Using FAT32 caps your maximum file size. Depending on the codec you are attempting to capture to, you could easily hit that wall in a 3 or 4 minute capture. If it is FAT32, you'll need to reformat for NTFS.

Kris