PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #31- It Came From Outer Space!!!

R.Feeney
03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #31- It Came From Outer Space!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group (http://www.newtek.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7)

Subject - It Came From Outer Space!!!
Spaceships, Satellites, Aliens, whatever you can think of.

Time Limit - 120 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 01 April 2200 GMT.

R.Feeney
03-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Extra time this week. :D
Sorry 3Deenut but I went ahead, people were getting itchy fingers.

Hopper
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Extra time this week. :D
Sorry 3Deenut but I went ahead, people were getting itchy fingers.
Thank you.

Tonight will be my only time to play this week. I was hoping to see the next challenge soon. 120 huh ... If only I had that kind of time, but I'm definately in for this week, even if I have to make a 5 minute asteroid.

AdamAvenali
03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
perfectly fitting! i just got back from seeing Monsters vs. Aliens so hopefully i can come up with something :thumbsup:

cresshead
03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
ohh...will be on this!

COBRASoft
03-27-2009, 09:16 PM
With CORE arriving in 3 days... will be difficult to join :D

I'm interested in what people will come up with though, nice topic!

IMI
03-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Sounds cool. :)
2 hours, eh?

JCG
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
With CORE arriving in 3 days... will be difficult to join :D Well, the rules say that Lightwave must be used for modeling. It doesn't say which Lightwave ;)

Iain
03-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Good shout! I have an idea or two for this.

Thanks R. Feeney :thumbsup:

flakester
03-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Good shout! I have an idea or two for this.

Thanks R. Feeney :thumbsup:

:agree: Good call!

--
flakester

Crossfire
03-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Great topic. I'm in.:thumbsup:

RudySchneider
03-29-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm a Futurama fan, so I thought I'd try the Planet Express delivery rocket. Turned out to be more involved than I thought, or I just didn't plan things out right, or I'm not in the mood. Anyway, here's what I ended up with after two hours of modeling, and a lame attempt at texturing and non-scene development. I might take another whack at it later, but I've got "more important" (hey, it happens...) things to do.

flakester
03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm a Futurama fan, so I thought I'd try the Planet Express delivery rocket. Turned out to be more involved than I thought, or I just didn't plan things out right, or I'm not in the mood. Anyway, here's what I ended up with after two hours of modeling, and a lame attempt at texturing and non-scene development. I might take another whack at it later, but I've got "more important" (hey, it happens...) things to do.

A solid effort with clean lines there Rudy. :thumbsup: Nice job.

My first entry for this challenge: Mini UFO. The sort that might like to try and attack us, not realising that their ships measure roughly ten earth centimetres across...!

Didn't come out quite as I'd hoped, I don't think I planned enough either! 1hr 40 for the model, the best part of another hour for the layout and render. Think I'll definitely re-visit this one at some point, maybe give it more of a backdrop (one that gives the subject matter some scale!). Anyhoo, model available as always.

--
flakester

Kuzey
03-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Haha... two fine looking spacecrafts there :thumbsup:

Kuzey

COBRASoft
03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Modelling this took less than 40 minutes. Unfortunately, the final result is far from what it should be. I can't get the rings around the planet right. Any tips?

AdamAvenali
03-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Modelling this took less than 40 minutes. Unfortunately, the final result is far from what it should be. I can't get the rings around the planet right. Any tips?

this it not an entry, purely for helping purposes. you might consider making an alpha for your transparency channel to be able to see some of the space background through the rings? just a guess, my texturing skills arent where they should be :) i've attached a quick render and the object and alpha.

COBRASoft
03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I've tried to achieve that with procedurals only, no images. If you look good, there is some alpha going on in my rings. I also have several ring layers on top of each other. Thanks for the help, I'll try it with an image if nobody else has a procedural solution :)

Weepul
03-29-2009, 06:02 PM
A common way to make rings is using a distance-to-pivot gradient...

flakester
03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Entry No2 and also scourge of the known universe (after Space Pirates, of course): The Emo Alien.

Modelling was just a sniff over one hour, layout and render about the same on top. Another one I'd like to re-visit at some point.

::edit:: Model is of course available.

--
flakester

IMI
03-30-2009, 03:51 AM
Cool stuff here so far. :thumbsup:
I love that little alien dude, flakester - the cigarette really adds a cool touch!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew there would be spaceships, and of course that's the first thing I though of, but from hopefully a different angle...

It came from outer space, but it was launched from Earth.

The Private Urban Assault Craft (PUAC) :

Seen here on in this promotional illustration, this prototype was developed by the radical fundamentalist neo-terrorist organization, Greenpeace, in 2149.
The first of these went into full scale production in 2150 as the leading mechanism of Greenpeace's Operation:PURGE.
Five thousand PUACs were manufactured by the year 2151, for a highly-trained hardcore squadron of Greenpeace loyalists - private citizens who were fed up and desperate - and were sent back through time to the year 1895 to do battle against the Industrial Revolution in a last ditch effort to purge the effects of Global Warming from the Earth...

The PUAC features eight quantum field energy concentrating laser pulse canons under its main wings - four on each side, and eight standard mini photon torpedo guns under its lower, smaller wings, all designed for precise, efficient, and environmentally-friendly total destruction of their targets.

Primary targets were basically all forms of industry, but pilots were encouraged to shoot at pretty much anyone burning, refining or mining coal or oil.

Neither pilots nor their crafts were expected to return, as they would have essentially negated their existence in the course of Operation:PURGE.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time spent modeling - about an hour and 45 minutes.
Setting up materials and rendering - far more time than I should have spent for what I got. ;)
Well, I was going for more of an illustration type look than a photoreal render, and it gave me an excuse to use the cheesy lens flare and fog effects. :D

flakester
03-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Cool stuff here so far. :thumbsup:
I love that little alien dude, flakester - the cigarette really adds a cool touch! ~

~ The Private Urban Assault Craft (PUAC) :
~ Neither pilots nor their crafts were expected to return, as they would have essentially negated their existence in the course of Operation:PURGE.
~ Well, I was going for more of an illustration type look than a photoreal render, and it gave me an excuse to use the cheesy lens flare and fog effects. :D

Cool beans there IMI! :thumbsup:
Reminds me of the Mimbari White Star (?) from Babylon 5 a little bit, which is a good thing. Great stuff, and nice background story to it as well.

Cheers for the props also.

--
flakester.

IMI
03-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Thank you flakester. :)

I didn't design it with anything in mind other than I wanted something that looked like it could fly in an atmosphere - hence the kind of aerodynamic wings.
Otherwise I just started with a subpatch box and extended, beveled, and dragged things around 'til it started looking like something. ;)

COBRASoft
03-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Hey all,

I found some extra time, so I tried to make a little spacegun :)

Moddeling about 1h25. I've mainly used LWCad (Curve, Curve to LWCurve and Extrude), Lathe, Move, Point Normal Move and BandGlue. No SubD's. Texturing and rendering about 2 hours. Damn, I love my new I7 :thumbsup:!

Greetings,
Sigurd

flakester
03-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Hey all,

I found some extra time, so I tried to make a little spacegun :)

Moddeling about 1h25. I've mainly used LWCad (Curve, Curve to LWCurve and Extrude), Lathe, Move, Point Normal Move and BandGlue. No SubD's. Texturing and rendering about 2 hours. Damn, I love my new I7 :thumbsup:!

Greetings,
Sigurd

Lovely work! :thumbsup: Kind of like a futuristic version of a villain's concealed side-arm. Very tasteful. Nice render too.

--
flakester.

Kuzey
03-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Ooooh...nice work guys.

I better get started on my starbug 1 model tonight :hey:

Kuzey

Nangleator
03-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Starbug! Dammit! I wish I had thought of that.

Maybe I'll work on a nice pleasure GELF instead.

IMI
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Great gun, Sigurd, really nice render too. :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
03-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Some cool work so far guys:thumbsup:

the full 120min for this bug, my own take on the warrior bugs from Roughnecks: STC (http://misterhook.tripod.com/roughnecks/).

No time for texturing unfortunately, too damn sick.

Kuzey
03-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Here's the starbug, shame there wasn't big detailed images online as I was relying on toy images for reference. I think I will complete this one at a later date and oh.....I stopped on the 120 minute mark.

Kuzey

R.Feeney
03-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Starbug, great:D
There are 3 new episodes coming out in april
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2009/03/27/red-dwarf-specials/

danielkaiser
03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
three guesses and the first two don't count.

Nangleator
03-30-2009, 05:24 PM
daniel, if that's the uh... material that was threatening Steve McQueen, it's supposed to be red! You know, like the red menace?

Feeney goes for a classic character! Wow.

Jeez, I don't know how I'll have time to enter.

Hopper
03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
The Blob I would guess...

sammael
03-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey guys, some nice models so far. It's great you guys have some challenges going on!
I thought I might join in on this one. The creature model took 36 minutes, then about 40mins messing around with procedurals to get some displacement I was happy with. Since I had some time left I added a few bits and pieces as I needed them like the rocks, grass and drool. Modeling time less than 1.5 hours I would say then an afternoon and evening on textures and lighting.

Story... well it came from outer space and proceeded to eat people as they fell over laughing at its rediculous little tenticles - Enjoy :)

adamredwoods
03-31-2009, 01:17 AM
Whew! I'm tired.

just got done... about 112 minutes, i had a little extra time, but not much. I was moving fast. Posing and rendering took about 2hrs. actual render about 30secs. The planet is Lightwave too!

I'm a little surprised there's not another sexy alien entry, yet.

colkai
03-31-2009, 03:20 AM
Shee-oot there are some cool entries this week!

Kuzey
03-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Starbug, great:D
There are 3 new episodes coming out in april
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2009/03/27/red-dwarf-specials/

Coolness....good to see they get back to good old Earth :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Kuzey
03-31-2009, 08:12 AM
Whew! I'm tired.

just got done... about 112 minutes, i had a little extra time, but not much. I was moving fast. Posing and rendering took about 2hrs. actual render about 30secs. The planet is Lightwave too!

I'm a little surprised there's not another sexy alien entry, yet.

Nice...always good to have sexy aliens around :D

I'm going to attempt something that is sexy but not in a sexual kinda way...Robby the robot from the forbidden planet.

Should be fun :hey:

Kuzey

flakester
03-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Awesome stuff.

@R.Feeney, Kuzey, danielkaiser, Sammael and Adamredwoods; wonderful entries. :thumbsup:

Hope to get time to put another one up, we'll see how it pans out...

Great work folks.

--
flakester.

Kuzey
03-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Oooooh..this was fun :thumbsup:

Spent a lot of time on trying to get the hands right...just under 2 hours :D

Kuzey

Weepul
04-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Far be it from me to NOT do an entry for this theme, seeing as it's a sci-fi game that got me interested in working in 3D in the first place!...but I just couldn't come up with something that would be a fitting tribute (some spaceship probably) to do in 2 hours! :(

(The REAL trouble is that I would mostly be interested in making an original design, and I couldn't pull one out of my...hat...that I thought I could do any justice in 2 hours, and now it's too late for me. :p)

Kuzey
04-01-2009, 05:23 AM
I should have detached the front panel to keep the nice flow of polygons...oh well :hey:

I'm hoping to squeeze in one more...Leeloo or the flying cars from the Fifth Element...but that would be after the deadline.

Kuzey

IMI
04-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Killer entries, guys, especially these last few creatures! :thumbsup:

I'm trying to come up with something else. Seems all I can think of is another spaceship, some kind of creature, or an asteroid...

AdamAvenali
04-01-2009, 12:41 PM
so i have started an entry, but it is turning into something that i want to spend a bit more time on, so unfortunately it will not be done by the deadline, but i will post when it is :)

flakester
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
A real rush-job..... yet another that I want to re-visit and tidy up.

The Button Moon rocket.
Model and render in less that one hour all told (started very late but just wanted to get this up here!), hopefully it will bring back some happy memories for a few folk.

Model available as always.

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Excellent work all round
Well time is up guys. Am I picking a winner this week? Or is 3DeeNut around, it was his week.

weepul gets to pick this weeks subject.

JCG
04-01-2009, 04:15 PM
I can't believe I couldn't even get something like this on time!
March is not supposed to be like this!

Iain
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I did this before I went out this morning but didn't get a chance to post so I won't bother with wires.

It didn't come from outer space-it just sounds like it!

A Theremin: 45 minutes modelling.

Weepul
04-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm not the judge, but I'd just like to mention that I really like COBRASoft's ray gun (classic!) and Iain, although too late, that theremin is terrific!

New topic going up in a minute.

COBRASoft
04-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm not the judge, but I'd just like to mention that I really like COBRASoft's ray gun (classic!) and Iain, although too late, that theremin is terrific!

New topic going up in a minute.

Thx Weepul :D

But I have to say that Iain's work is fantastic... again!

Oedo 808
04-01-2009, 10:23 PM
What? We're into Thursday already, when the bloody hell did that happen :confused:

They don't call me Oedo the Organized for nothing!

Some very nice entries, kinda bummed out I missed a two hour challenge.

Good work as always chaps.

flakester
04-02-2009, 01:48 AM
@JCG: Ace idea! One of my all time favourite films. Well done. :thumbsup:

@Iain: I was talking to someone about these wonderful instruments just the other day, awesome rendition! :thumbsup:

Fab entries all round folks, well done.

--
flakester

Iain
04-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Thanks guys!

I set up a quick luminous poly render but fprime was taking ages to refine so I turned on MC radiosity and went out, thinking it would run for an hour or more.
It rendered in 5 minutes!

Great entries this week. Very imaginative and detailed stuff :thumbsup:

Here's a close up of my theremin (sounds a bit dodgy!).

Kuzey
04-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Nice work guys.

Unfortunately, I wasn't in the modeling Zone last night...just couldn't do anything right :hey:

Kuzey

flakester
04-02-2009, 05:00 AM
~ Here's a close up of my theremin ~

Eeeeewwwwww. It's all wrinkled!! :p

--
flakester.

IMI
04-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Iain, I'd say you outdid yourself on that theramin... but then again you seem to outdo yourself on a regular basis, so I don't know if that would mean anything. ;)

IMI
04-02-2009, 06:07 AM
Excellent work all round
Well time is up guys. Am I picking a winner this week? Or is 3DeeNut around, it was his week.

If we're voting on the question of who's voting, I'd say go for it, I guess. 3DeeNut never replied to the last messages in the last challenge over a week ago, so I guess he's busy or hasn't noticed or whatever else.

flakester
04-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Excellent work all round

weepul gets to pick this weeks subject.

If we're voting on the question of who's voting, I'd say go for it, I guess. 3DeeNut never replied to the last messages in the last challenge over a week ago, so I guess he's busy or hasn't noticed or whatever else.

:agree:
Vote #2 for R.Feeney to judge, if he doesn't mind that is. Sorry to speak of you in the third person R.Feeney!

--
flakester.

colkai
04-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys!

I set up a quick luminous poly render but fprime was taking ages to refine so I turned on MC radiosity and went out, thinking it would run for an hour or more.

Dang Iain, will you stop it with the gorgeous work? some of us like to delude ourselves we are actually starting to learn this stuff. ;) :D

sammael
04-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys!

Hey Iain nice entry :)
I am just wondering about the luminous poly lighting method, I have been experimenting a bit lately with the concept but are there any golden rules? do you make the polys a straight colour, mapped with an image/hdr image or just whatever works? I also wonder about the scale and shape is this something to consider?
I cant help but feel I'm just fumbling along with it with no real understanding of how to set it up properly.

Kuzey
04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey Iain nice entry :)
I am just wondering about the luminous poly lighting method, I have been experimenting a bit lately with the concept but are there any golden rules? do you make the polys a straight colour, mapped with an image/hdr image or just whatever works? I also wonder about the scale and shape is this something to consider?
I cant help but feel I'm just fumbling along with it with no real understanding of how to set it up properly.

The standard scene from Preset Central has an luminous poly lighting example you can play with....I believe.

Kuzey

3DeeNut
04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
I ended up getting really freakin sick. Then just when I thought I was getting better my 150 gallon saltwater tank decided to spring a leak and pour 75 gallons of water through my floor and all over my downstairs neighbors apartment. Needless to say my last week was not exactly fun for me. Nothing worse than unexpectedly having to figure out what to do wit your fish, pay for your neighbors entire apartment and deal with an irate neighbor all in like ummm 1 weeks time. Sorry for not posting my guillotine, entering in this weeks competition and making everyone wait for this weeks challenge (didnt even know i was to pick the topic actually). Anyhow, I hope you all can forgive me. Its been a crazy life this week. But things are almost back to normal again.

colkai
04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Oh man, I feel your pain, I won't even start to bore you with the "fun" we've been having here. :p
Suffice to say, our bathroom is now officially a disaster zone.

IMI
04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Jeez, 3DeeNut, I'm so sorry to hear all that! :(
I hope it all works out for you, and also that your fish are OK. I know those salt water fish can get pretty expensive.

Iain
04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I am just wondering about the luminous poly lighting method, I have been experimenting a bit lately with the concept but are there any golden rules?

I just use a flat white polygon with between 300 and 700% luminosity, sized and positioned much like an Area Light.
In the right circumstances the results can be really good and very fast.

R.Feeney
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Not to worry 3Deenut, I just didnt want to be stepping on any toes here :D

I hope things are going better for you now.

R.Feeney
04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
So a winner to be picked...
I was very tempted by COBRASofts raygun.
But I am going for sammael`s tentacle creature excellent work:thumbsup:

And Iain I had been meaning to say this for a while now but kept forgetting. Thank you for setting up the speed modeling challenges, I think it has helped me improve my modeling more than anything else has. And its great fun too:D

flakester
04-03-2009, 01:35 PM
So a winner to be picked...
I was very tempted by COBRASofts raygun.
But I am going for sammael`s tentacle creature excellent work:thumbsup:

And Iain I had been meaning to say this for a while now but kept forgetting. Thank you for setting up the speed modeling challenges, I think it has helped me improve my modeling more than anything else has. And its great fun too:D

:agree: On both calls.

Well done Sammael, congrats on a job well done! :thumbsup:

And...
I have also benefi..... benifi.... benne. I've managed to improve my modelling skills as a direct result of these fun challenges, too. Cheers Iain. :beerchug:

--
flakester

Kuzey
04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Well done Sammael :thumbsup:

What...you guys like this whole challenge thing. I don't...I keep ending up cool objects that I wouldn't have made otherwise :hey:

:D

Kuzey

Iain
04-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Once again, I agree with the decision-well done sammael :thumbsup:

I really am glad these challenges have stayed popular. There's a lot to be gained from it and its nice to hear others say it.

So, thanks :D

IMI
04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Congrats Sammael!

sammael
04-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Cheers guys, an unexpected honor :) and congrats to everyone on the nice entries and things learned along the way.

Thanks Iain & Kuzey for the info about luminous poly lighting as well thats very helpful.

I have attached the model and scene file for anyone who wants to pick it appart, the textures are there but no HDR Image sorry, its a commercial one I bought as part of a set but you should be able to replace it and adjust the light accordingly to get decent results.

In the worm skin nodes surface there is a sigma2 setup and a material mixer node as well although its not plugged in. You can get some cool results mixing the materials but the render times are horrendus :( if anyone can shed any light on how to optomise the speed a bit for rendering the blended materials it woud be cool.

Cheers!

Sam

Edit: just realised the aa and resolution settings in the scene file are set to none as I was testing the material blending, just a heads up.

Oedo 808
04-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Well done, sammael! :thumbsup:

And thanks for the files.

colkai
04-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Well done Sammael, congrats on a job well done! :thumbsup:
--
flakester

Agreed, some excellent stuff this time around, he says, as if this time is any different from normal. ;)

Hoping to get time this weekend to actually participate in #32. :)

Iain
04-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Cheers guys, an unexpected honor :) and congrats to everyone on the nice entries and things learned along the way.

Hey Sammael, if you have an idea for this week's challenge, it would be great if you get it going over the next 24 hours or so.
If you're unsure about how to go about it, just shout.

Thanks

COBRASoft
04-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Congrats Sammael!

art
04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Nice entries everyone. Congratulations Sammael!

Iain, I wanted to model theremin for challenge #5, but did a nixie clock instead :)

sammael
04-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks all :)

Hey Sammael, if you have an idea for this week's challenge, it would be great if you get it going over the next 24 hours or so.
If you're unsure about how to go about it, just shout.

Thanks

I just saw this Iain, if nobody has anything organised yet I have an idea (which I hope has not been done) Is it just a matter of copying the usual rules and a brief description?
As soon as sombody can confirm ill start one up.

IMI
04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Sammael, yep, that's all you have to do - copy, paste and fill in the blanks. :)