PDA

View Full Version : Swapping between apps - LW 9.6 and Max2009

phorne_tca
03-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Hello all,

I don't post things too often here, but this one is really throwing me for a loop. I'm a vfx artist working in a studio, and we have a really complex bridge model that needed some hardfx animation on. The calculations were taking *forever* and then some (upwards of a full 24 hours).

So in order to speed things up, I used Deep Exlporation to convert the .lwo files over to a .3ds file so that we could use the RayFire plugin in Max (it uses nVidia's PhysX engine, so it's MUCH faster than Lightwave's calulation times). So we got everything moved over and the animation in Max looks perfect. Everything's got the textures on it and it's moving exactly the way that we want.

The problem is that the VFX sup wants to keep everything rendering within Lightwave. We have a copy of Point Oven and have used it many many times, but it doesn't maintain the texture information on the objects. We've tried to convert things within Deep Exploration but it makes every single piece of the destroyed bridge into an individual object...and doesn't keep the material information attached to it.

Does anybody have ANY suggestions on how to POSSIBLY move objects, animations, AND texturing back and forth from Max to Lightwave?? Anything?

It seems like somebody would've surely run into this before...

Thanks in advance. If there's any questions that need to be answered please feel free to ask.

-Patrick Horne

Edit:
I'd also point out that RayFire took about 5 minutes to calculate 1200 pieces of falling debris, with interaction. Hint hint Newtek: for LWCore...the PhysX SDK is FREE and Max allows you to apply HardFX to MULTIPLE OBJECTS AT ONCE!! Now THERE's a novel idea...!

akademus
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
We are successfully transferring things between LW, XSI and Maya via point oven and MDD's.
One way:
Bake the textures into UV and use the obj file format to transfer geometry. Then use the mdd's to transfer point movement of baked animation.

Other possible (not completely tested) ways:
Use FBX or COLLADA to transfer. LW has excellent support and FBX now belongs to Autodesk so I guess MAX has good support too.

Best of luck

inakito
12-17-2009, 10:05 AM
How did u export the uv's then?

biliousfrog
12-17-2009, 10:28 AM
There's a way of transferring UV's from one object to another via a plugin, it was created around LW 8.5'ish to get the UV data back onto models which had been used with ZBrush. Try searching flay, spinquad and here for the ZBrush to Lightwave tutorials, I'm sure it'll crop up.

AbnRanger
12-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Give FBX a try...you can embed texture files and the Point Cache can be embedded as well. That's the best way to go, IMHO as Autodesk has been working hard at interoperability between the 3 programs.

http://download.autodesk.com/global/3dsmax/featureVideos/max9_point_cache_large.mov

Oops...didn't realize how old the OP was. Thanks for bumping the thread.