PDA

View Full Version : Question about upgrade pricing?

rudeyuut
03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I know it's probably been done to death by now, but I just want a definitive answer, LOL. How much would an upgrade cost to lightwave core after March 31st? Will you still you still be able to receive a free copy of core after that date and before it officially releases, if you buy version 9.6 and how much would that cost? Thanks in advance.

rudeyuut
03-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Ohh, I have version 8 of lightwave right now, so I just want to know the upgrade pricing? :)

Earl
03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
The upgrade price from previous versions (such as LW8) doesn't change after March 31st. They should remain $495 until Core is released in Q4, at which point the upgrade would cost you $695.

That's how I understand it from the General FAQ.

And yes, that would put you in the HardCORE program, so you'd have acess to current Core builds after you joined.

rudeyuut
03-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Cool, thanks man.

jaspar
03-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Good to know, I have exactly the same issue. Will upgrade some time this year, but not sure I can afford it at the mo.
Cheers!

rudeyuut
03-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah me either, I'm going to wait until next month, we would still get a free copy core though when it comes out?

Phrog
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a question about the pricing as well. Well 2 actually...

1. If I pay for a $495 membership what will the price of the membership be in a year after that. Charter members are guaranteed to pay the discount price of $395 but what about the $495 memberships? Do they pay $495 the next year or does the price go up to the $695 level? Jay? Chuck?

2. If I buy a membership just before the final release in Q4 when the membership price is $495 I understand that I would get Core 1.0 in the Q4 release. A year later I would have a membership that would end just shy of the Core 2.0 release (assuming the release dates are the same each year). Would my membership get that release or would I have to upgrade the membership to get the final version of 2.0? Jay? Chuck?

Depending on the answers to these questions will determine when I personally will buy in but I would like an answer that is from an actual Newtek employee that really knows the answer and isn't just speculating on the answer. No offense is meant to anyone by this I would like an official answer.

Earl
03-27-2009, 01:32 PM

1. If I pay for a $495 membership what will the price of the membership be in a year after that. Charter members are guaranteed to pay the discount price of $395 but what about the $495 memberships? Do they pay $495 the next year or does the price go up to the $695 level? Jay? Chuck?

2. If I buy a membership just before the final release in Q4 when the membership price is $495 I understand that I would get Core 1.0 in the Q4 release. A year later I would have a membership that would end just shy of the Core 2.0 release (assuming the release dates are the same each year). Would my membership get that release or would I have to upgrade the membership to get the final version of 2.0? Jay? Chuck?

Depending on the answers to these questions will determine when I personally will buy in but I would like an answer that is from an actual Newtek employee that really knows the answer and isn't just speculating on the answer. No offense is meant to anyone by this I would like an official answer.
I'm not trying to replace an official answer by NewTek, but these questions have been covered.

1) NewTek has not specified future costs for Core. After Core Q4 is released, the upgrade cost will be $695. Unless the cost of the program goes up (which I doubt since it just went up), then next year an upgrade would still go for $695. The point of the HardCORE membership is to pay yearly at a price less than the full upgrade price. Your HardCORE membership would not cost $695, but would probably remain at $495 (or maybe $595 - it hasn't been specified yet). Only the charter members are guaranteed the $395 HardCORE price next year, and after March 31st there are no more charter memberships.

2) Your HardCORE membership is for 365 days (I don't know what they do about leap year). According to the stated Core FAQ, each HardCORE membership is guaranteed to include a Q4 final release build. Cutting it close doesn't count: you won't get two full version releases with a single HardCORE membership unless NewTek starts releasing more than one full paid release in a 365 day period. Whatever build is posted to your account at the end of your HardCORE membership, that's the final build that you get.

Chuck
03-27-2009, 01:35 PM

1. If I pay for a $495 membership what will the price of the membership be in a year after that. Charter members are guaranteed to pay the discount price of $395 but what about the $495 memberships? Do they pay $495 the next year or does the price go up to the $695 level?

The $695 is for shipping product, not membership. If you purchase membership at the $495 price, you would renew at that price again next year.

2. If I buy a membership just before the final release in Q4 when the membership price is $495 I understand that I would get Core 1.0 in the Q4 release. A year later I would have a membership that would end just shy of the Core 2.0 release (assuming the release dates are the same each year). Would my membership get that release or would I have to upgrade the membership to get the final version of 2.0?

Each one-year membership is entitled to at least one major upgrade during the term. If you purchase HardCORE membership at $495 while it is still available, say just a few days before we release the final 1.0 version, that 1.0 release would be the guaranteed one major upgrade for your term. You would not receive a paid upgrade that shipped after your membership expired. You would need to renew membership to get that.

----

There is another question that is implied by some of the discussion here about purchasing the v9 upgrade with HardCORE membership.

If you purchase a v9 upgrade for $495 or $595 by March 31, which comes with HardCORE membership, are you considered a charter member so you get to renew membership next year at $395?

Yes.

Phrog
03-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Thank you to Earl and Chuck. That is the information I needed to know!

kfinla
03-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks also Chuck.. ive been wanting to know those renewal specifics.

devin
03-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Ditto. Thanks!