PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave user support ~ 2 years ago

ZanQdo
03-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi, now with Lightwave Core soon to be released for multiple platforms I feel like posting this funny conversation I had ~two years ago with an ignorant support guy.

http://pasteall.org/4737

peace

OnlineRender
03-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Cringeeeeeeee . should have blanked out the dudes name !
do you work for AD ? (",)

SBowie
03-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Let's think about this fairly. I can read the "ignorant" tag two ways. Either it is meant to imply i) Dan's reply was ill-mannered, or ii) it's content showed ignorance of the facts. Let's assume the quote is verbatim, and work from there:

i) I don't find anything rude about the reply. It is straightforward, but on the positive side it seems to be written in the nature of an honest, personal, human response. It's not one of those typical impersonal corporate-speak, bot-like responses ("Thank you for you query, it is important to us. We are not announcing any plans for expanded Linux support at this time. Thank you again, and have a swell day.") I think it commendable that NewTek's support has a human face, even if the reply doesn't always contain the answer I was hoping for.

ii) The reply was based on the known facts in evidence at the time. By this I do not mean they necessarily reflect some universal world view of Linux at the time, but rather the in-house likelihood (as seen in February of 2007) of a Linux version of LightWave. (If anyone was working on Core at that point, it was likely a closely held secret, and few would have thought a Linux version of the current LW series likely).

So, times change, and happily so. I'm very sure the answer was meant to be an honest reflection of the situation, certainly not to mislead - quite the opposite in fact - or to poke fun at Linux. As for me, I'd hate for NewTek to lose that personal touch, and I'm sure Dan is just as glad as I am that the prediction proved wrong as things moved forwards.

OnlineRender
03-27-2009, 07:14 AM
i think the guy just had a bad day at the office and told him straight up ! better to be honest rather than beating around the bush !

Martin Adams
03-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Honestly, I'm not surprised by that type of response. Companies change strategies all the time, and NewTek took the decision to write core from the ground up, opening up the opportunity for them to support Linux with a lower overhead.

Two years ago, the only planned option to support Linux would be to port LightWave, which is the reason why any company would think long and hard about the return of investment and the additional support cost.

Looks like the only ignorant thing about the statement the support guy said was "only possibility". Clearly it wasn't the only possibility, and he could have said, "likely possibility". Support people aren't sales people. Sure he should have said, "we currently have no plans to support Linux, yadda, yadda, yadda".

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

OnlineRender
03-27-2009, 07:20 AM
My question would be , why would you make this your second post ?????
If i had got an answer like that i would have respected the dude for being honest and to the core "in joke there "
im brutal with customers i have no time to mess about

SBowie
03-27-2009, 07:22 AM
My question would be , why would you make this your second post ?????Oh, Linux users tend to be a little feisty (and good for them!), that's likely all this really is - celebrating a victory.

OnlineRender
03-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Oh, Linux users tend to be a little feisty (and good for them!), that's likely all this really is - celebrating a victory.

LOL i got Linux "mythbuntu" to run on my mates PS3 i thought I had revinted the wheel ,when it came on my big flat screen tv !

ps it dual boots from ps3 to linux perfect . hmmm wounder if i could LW to run on it , that would be fun ! using ps3 controller to drag and move points !

Kuzey
03-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I thought Linux version was a by product of switching to QT to build the Core...just one of the little benefits of such a move.

Nothing to do with ignorance...at least on the part of Dan :hey:

Kuzey

ZanQdo
03-27-2009, 07:50 AM
I know there's no way he could have known about Lightwave Core but the answer of *why* I coudn't expect a Linux version ever was just.. yeah... Most of the mayor 3D softwares work in Linux and the biggest studios like Pixar use Linux so why answering like that? Also thinking that NT could never get any money out of a port... meh I had to post this

OnlineRender
03-27-2009, 07:53 AM
I know there's no way he could have known about Lightwave Core but the answer of *why* I coudn't expect a Linux version ever was just.. yeah... Most of the mayor 3D softwares work in Linux and the biggest studios like Pixar use Linux so why answering like that? Also thinking that NT could never get any money out of a port... meh I had to post this

fair enough ! I preffer Linux just hate compilling , Edit ohh and it dosnt make my cpu fan go ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM and networking so much faster !

Chuck
03-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi, now with Lightwave Core soon to be released for multiple platforms I feel like posting this funny conversation I had ~two years ago with an ignorant support guy.

http://pasteall.org/4737

peace

Dan answered with the best information he had available at the time, and does not deserve to be derided in public for a straight answer to a simple question.

One of the rules of this board is no personal attacks on other users or on NewTek staff. You need to observe that rule or your forum privileges will be suspended or revoked.

That's enough for this thread.