PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Intous 4

akademus
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
OLED displays, better sensitivity and heaps of coolness.

http://www.wacom.com.au/Intuos4

Anyone wants to buy used Intous3?

IMI
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I got that in my email today, too.
Looks cool. :thumbsup:

Matt
03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Although I'm loving my cheap and cheerful Bamboo (which is a great little tablet) these look very sexy indeed!

Tempted!

Earl
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I've been holding off on my Intuos tablet upgrade for over a year knowing that a new one must be behind the corner pretty soon. This looks so cool! I love the idea of the touch wheel. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

don_culbertson
03-25-2009, 08:13 PM
First Core, now this - I'll be needing a bailout of my own before long :D

Don

sammael
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah these look pretty good, pity they make them so robust I still cant justify replacing the trusty old intuos 2 :) must be 6 or 7 years old now and it still works like a charm (and its deep purple!).

adamredwoods
03-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Although I'm loving my cheap and cheerful Bamboo (which is a great little tablet) these look very sexy indeed!

Tempted!

Bamboo, me too!

geothefaust
03-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Yeah these look pretty good, pity they make them so robust I still cant justify replacing the trusty old intuos 2 :) must be 6 or 7 years old now and it still works like a charm (and its deep purple!).

Me too. Still rolling With my Intuos2. 3 didn't have anything worth upgrading for... 4, they finally got the hint that left handed people use them (me). Worth upgrading for now. :)

Rod Seffen
03-26-2009, 03:37 AM
Meh. I don't use any of the buttons on either the pen or the tablet anyway, in fact I removed the button from the pen.
If I do upgrade from intuos 3 it'll be to a cintiq.

Red_Oddity
03-26-2009, 03:54 AM
We have a couple of Wacoms here, ranging from the wirless version to the Intuos 2 and 3.

The wireless is complete and utter garbage, the pen almost always need to touch the surface of the tablet just to move a cursor, which sucks, as it almost always registers half your movements as mouse clicks.

The Intuos series is amazing, there is just no substitude brand for a Wacom Intuos (and i have tried a lot of cheaper knock off, all of which where utter rubbish or the drivers where just not up to par.)

I also see the Intuos 4 is cheaper than the previous version, but that might be because they seem to have shrunk a bit in size.
Still, for 200 euros you can have a very good cute little Intuos tablet.

akademus
03-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Me too. Still rolling With my Intuos2. 3 didn't have anything worth upgrading for... 4, they finally got the hint that left handed people use them (me). Worth upgrading for now. :)

You can choose handedness in Intous3 drivers. But you need 6x8 or larger as they have strips and keys on both sides.

I'm also targeting Cintiq somewhere soon, but I think I'll wait for a while to see if they are going to make a new one now.

I've found side keys quite useful and lately I've been using tablet not for sculpting and texturing but for character animation. Having keys set up for Move, Rotation and so on makes it much easier and faster.

AbnRanger
03-26-2009, 01:06 PM
While I think it's nice, I don't see Intuous 4 being a reason to upgrade from 3.
If there were more programmable buttons, I could see it, but as it is, the Intuous 3 has 8 and 2 touch strips. 4 is only a marginal improvement overall.
It's appeal is more to prospective new Wacom owners than to current ones.

blacksmith
03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Nice piece of hardware. Unfortunately, I can't justify to my wife buying another one :(

kfinla
03-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm hoping there is a Cintiq update soon. Upgrade the 21" to a 24" etc.. I'd rather get a Cintiq these days then replace my Intous2 12x12 with a Intous4 as tempting as they are. (The Intous3's were not a big enough difference from the 2's, though I did notice a slight improvement in zbrush)

hrgiger
03-26-2009, 03:23 PM
So can anyone recommend a tablet for the extremely budget concisous? I'd like to have something to use for zbrush and photoshop and potentially CORE. I'd love to get an $800+ tablet but I shouldn't spend that kind of money right now.

akademus
03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Go for Bamboo or the smallest of new 4 series. Its 380 AUD and if you use DLF on their official store you get a discount too :thumbsup:

Contact me if you don't know about dlf thing. ;)

adamredwoods
03-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Bamboo is a great place to start. My review is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Medium-Silver-Graphics-Software/product-reviews/B000V9USBG/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=2&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R2ZPB4LFQOV9LP

kfinla
03-26-2009, 03:57 PM
There is the bamboo line of wacom tablets that are cheap, but there is a big jump in quality, and its just gotten even bigger between them and the Intous line. There are other brands but I have not tried them. The old 6x8.. or now Medium Intous 4 is by far the most popular workhorse of the tablets. Depends what you are willing to spend, the tablets last for a long time, the only real factor is the USB input, back in the day the ARTZ pads and Intous 1? had ADB and serial port options.. My intous2 would probably be fine in 10 years from now as long as I could still find a way to hook it up and get drivers.

Tranimatronic
03-26-2009, 04:11 PM
doesnt look like its going to be comfortable for us lefties..... do I have to turn it upside down, or buy a special left handed version ??

jasonwestmas
03-26-2009, 04:14 PM
I was looking at this yesterday on their site. I wore out my intuos2 plastic, it''s all scratch up from so much use.

PixelDust
03-26-2009, 04:26 PM
doesnt look like its going to be comfortable for us lefties..... do I have to turn it upside down, or buy a special left handed version ??

You can turn it upside down, and I think that the text on the OLED screens next to the buttons flips when you turn the tablet upside down. It's also got a detachable USB cord that can be plugged in on either side.

The Dommo
03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
My Intuos 2 from 2002 is still going strong. As is my Intuos 3 from 2006. But still, I want one of these!

Sande
03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
I just ordered Intuos4 A5 - can't wait to get it!
I struggled with old Wacom Sapphire till now and had been delaying my Intuos purchase in the hopes of new models for couple of months already - now it suddenly feels like Christmas... :)

AbnRanger
03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
So can anyone recommend a tablet for the extremely budget concisous? I'd like to have something to use for zbrush and photoshop and potentially CORE. I'd love to get an $800+ tablet but I shouldn't spend that kind of money right now.You can get an Intuos 3 on EBay pretty cheap...and academic resellers tend to sell them cheap too. Probably $200-$275 or less. Definitely worth it...my mouse rarely gets used

Earl
04-19-2009, 06:40 PM
FYI, for those who are curious, I find the Intuos4 (large) to be significantly more accurate and responsive than the Intuos3. It is by far the best Wacom tablet to date. Also, I found the touch bar on the Intuos3 difficult to use without it registering incorrectly. I also found my arm would set it off when typing on my keyboard (located behind the tablet). The touch wheel on the Intuos4 is slick and very useful - and so far no problems with accidental activation.

Philbert
04-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I just hope it doesn't sound like a creaky door when you lean your wrist on it like my Intuos 3 does.

Hopper
04-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Getting more and more into some small product gigs lately (and I mean VERY small - like a couple of hundred bucks worth), I've been thinking about getting a tablet. I've never owned one nor have I ever used one. I find using apps such as PS/CS3, etc.. quite difficult to use with a mouse. It's very unnatural.

But my question is... I'm certain I don't need a giant tablet (I'd put a down payment on a guitar before I spent that much on a tablet), but I'm sure the tiny ones will have issues.

Anyone have recommendations? Anyone use small and large tablets and have a preference? Smart to just go with "medium" and be done with it?

Philbert
04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I have an old Intuos 1 6x8, a Graphire 3 4x5 (wired), and an Intuos 3 6x8 I bought last year. I find the small Graphire works fairly well, I keep it with my laptop to use while at Starbucks or something. The thing with the larger Intuos models is that you get a finer pressure sensitivity. With more space though you get finer resolution. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I do notice it a little. Maybe that will help your decision a little.

Earl
04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I just hope it doesn't sound like a creaky door when you lean your wrist on it like my Intuos 3 does.
The Intuos3 creaking/squeaking drives me nuts!! I have been very disappointed with the build quality of the Intuos3. However, I am glad to report that the Intuos4 does not creak at all. It is much better built.

Hopper
04-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Maybe that will help your decision a little.
Thanks Philbert. :)