PDA

View Full Version : high resolution satellite images

Soth
03-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Hi,
For upcoming project I need high detailed satellite images of Afganistan or Iraqi town/city/village (fewish square kilometres area) with high map.

Google Maps would do well but (1) I cannot use it commercially, (2) have ugly Google Maps Watermark, (3) does not include height map, (4) I guess I can get better resolution one anyway.

Any sugesstions? With reasonable pricing? ;D

Lightwolf
03-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Yup, contact us (or better, directly contact my partner here, Dagmar).

I'll PM you the e-mail adress.

Cheers,
Mike

biliousfrog
03-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Yup, contact us (or better, directly contact my partner here, Dagmar).

I'll PM you the e-mail adress.

Cheers,
Mike

That's interesting, do you have a lot of satellite images or just for that area?

Lightwolf
03-25-2009, 07:30 AM
That's interesting, do you have a lot of satellite images or just for that area?
We don't have them... but we know where to get them and also how to get them processed to make them usable for CG applications.

Link to our geodata services (http://www.db-w.com/content/view/9/34/)

Cheers,
Mike

JML
03-25-2009, 07:31 AM

yeah, I'm curious too..

do you have your private satellite lightwolf ? ;)

we use www.mapmart.com but it can get pretty expensive sometimes..

Soth
03-25-2009, 07:50 AM
I am tottaly lost on the highmap bit, does anyone know in what format does it comes in?

Lightwolf
03-25-2009, 07:56 AM
I am tottaly lost on the highmap bit, does anyone know in what format does it comes in?
It depends, there's a lot of file formats in use for geodata.
The best one to use for a graphics related pipeline us usually GeoTIFF.

GDAL (http://www.gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html) includes a bunch of command line utilities to convert most the formats.

Elevation data is usually also stored at 16bits or 32bits per pixel (integer, not float!).

Cheers,
Mike