PDA

View Full Version : Time Warp Althoughts

lvsoule
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm curious of what people think of the time warp replay system. One person was saying you could only replay the "program out" video. This wouldn't work because often our program out is the wide cam and that's not much of a replay- I would want to replay one of the tight cams. Also can you log the best plays and play them back as well at the half and end of game?

Please don't laugh, but currently I have two macintosh computers hooked up as replay machines. I have a pyro av/dv converter that allows this. We capture cams 2 & 3 and then play them back at slow mo speeds. The nice thing on the macs is, after the replay, it is easy to drop that clip, with the in and out points, on the timeline and now you have a highlight reel! The drawback is it takes about 10-11 seconds to get the replay up and running.

I'm just trying to gather info on the time warp and how it would compare to the mac system.

thanks
-Larry

ScorpioProd
03-24-2009, 10:48 PM
To do what you are describing, I think you would need the 3PLAY, not the TimeWarp.

The 3PLAY should be able to do all the things you described that you currently do on your pair of Macs... Except being able to do it on THREE live live streams instead of two.

lvsoule
03-24-2009, 11:06 PM
I got excited about 3Play- but I went into Computerwise to look into it and was told it is 18K- no can do right now! That would eat up the entire sponsorship we've raised. Can you verify that this is roughly the price? It sounds like a good system and I'm sure it's worth the 18k but it I will have to wait a bit on that one.

ScorpioProd
03-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Yup, that's about the price. It lists for about $21K.

But hey, NAB is coming, you never know, there may be more affordable alternatives within a month.

SBowie
03-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Timewarp can optionally capture an isolated feed from the Effects bus (requires a TC with the 3 row switcher). There are pros and cons to this:

somewhat limits your use of the Effects row for special effects in the Live Program
a bit more required of the Switcher operator, who will have to determine which cams to iso on Effects
requires that you dedicate the main TC Record function to Effects, not Program (but there are external ways to record Program output).

Anyway, I just mention it for completeness' sake. TW is pretty cool, but of course as Eugene says, 3Play is the best answer.

billmi
03-25-2009, 08:47 AM
(requires a TC with the 3 row switcher).

Or a VT, yes?

:-)

SBowie
03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Or a VT, yes?

:-)Yes, quite right thanks Bill.

bob anderson
05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
When I first saw that "Record Effects Row" button it took me a while to figure out why it was there. ( The TriCaster I was using didn't have a TW hooked up, so it wasn't so obvious.) Once I put 2 and 2 together... I realized it was a cool and well needed tool. Here's how I use it, and this method ( to a degree ) takes the pressure off the switcher operator to keep an eye on what's on the effects row.

When shooting a sports event, much like an emergency locked down wide shot, I have one camera op who does nothing but chase the ball/puck/shuttlecock/tiddlywink. This shot is going to be, for the most part, unusable as it will be all kinds of swish pans etc. But.. it will usually have the coverage I need for the replay.

For the most part, I don't miss the effect row inputs during a show like this, so it's more a matter of "not touching" the buttons as opposed to worrying about "what to press".

Not as cool or functional as a 3Play, but it get's the job done.

Bob Anderson
( shooting dramatic slo-mo tiddlywink highlight reel )

Paul Lara
05-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Bob Anderson
( shooting dramatic slo-mo tiddlywink highlight reel )

...that is SUCH a lost art these days, Bob.
Will this be airing on the Tiddlywink Channel?

lvsoule
05-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Even though I've been around this for years- I guess I don't fully understand what I am losing by giving up the fx channel. If the Time Warp takes up an FX channel- do I lose Title templates or DDR or transitions. Can I still run the CG. If I can still run all of these then the Time Warp will work. I could just stick to the Macs- but I want all the options I can find.

I too am looking to progress in the Tiddlywinks art!

thanks
-Larry

billmi
05-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Yep, you can still overlay titles with the DSK, play out of a DDR and use DVEs, regardless of what is selected on the FX bus.