PDA

View Full Version : SoftFX "No Collision items are enabled..." error

hdace
03-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi,

I've got some peacock feathers that I want to move up and down with the bird's steps. They're very basic polys created in Modeler's FiberFX. SoftFX seemed a good choice and at first it worked beautifully.

I have six different layers of feathers. The sixth layer is quite small so I did the first test on that. They bounced up and down just right. But all the other five layers give me the error. It won't even start calculating.

I saved the mdd from the sixth layer as a file and also saved the scene after I saved the file. Now the scene doesn't load the motion and when I try to load the file it gives me another error: "format error". So now I don't even have that.

I didn't think I had to have a collision item for this. I thought that you should be able to program "bounciness" just on the basis of movement. I created two weightmaps, one for the parts of each feather that shouldn't move and one for the parts that should. Then I assigned them on the second tab (operator), one with zero EffectSize. Am I missing something?

Thanks, Hal

hdace
03-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Even if I add a redundant object to collide with, that it's not really going to collide with, the error still appears. Could it be there's just too much data for it to cope with?

bryguy2
03-24-2009, 10:39 AM
You dont need a collision object.
What kind of geometry do these layers consist of?

hdace
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Thank you for confirming I don't need a collision object.

The feathers are made of a capsule modeled into the shape of a calamus with feathery strands hanging off it. The strands are not directly connected to the calamus. They are simple, flat, square, connected polys, about eleven of them, culminating in a single tri so it has a point. Then at the top there is an eye which uses an image of a peacock feather eye uv'ed onto it. That is just an oval box with about twenty sides. There are more feather strands coming out of that which are also not directly connected to it.

That's it. But there are A LOT of feathers. So I'm just assuming the error is being caused by the high poly count. I could check that if you need to know. I'm still working 32 bit so that could be part of it too.

That's one of several reasons why it seemed a good idea to split the "train" into six layers. Maybe I should increase the number of layers. As I've already animated part of the peacock's scene it would take about half a day to re-split the layers.

hdace
03-28-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm a little surprised that no experts on SoftFX have given their two cents.

hdace
03-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Okay, after this almost completely one-sided conversation I've decided to post some info in case someone ever has a similar problem and does a search.

I had some time today so I did a bunch of tests and determined that SoftFX doesn't appear to work if there are too many polys, or if the .mdd is too big. I think the two are related but I'm listing both in case it's more one than the other.

It seems to work fine as long as the number of polys don't go over 30,000 to 35,000 or as long as the .mdd file isn't bigger than 108 to 124 MB. Sorry I can't be more precise.