PDA

View Full Version : USB stick viruses are KILLING me!!

doimus
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
OK, forget about web malware, worms etc. I know how to deal with that, never had much problems with them.
But those USB infecting autorun [email protected] - my GOD! How the hell am I supposed to stop usb sticks from connecting to my machine?! :cursin:

Client sticks, friends sticks, gf sticks, everybody's sticks, everybody's infected!! It's like dawn of the dead meets bubonic plague!!! :bangwall:

I had a virus infection some weeks ago that spread from an infected stick to my laptop that sadly had no AV software (it was mint-fresh XP installation). Then it promptly infected all other usb sticks that were connected to that laptop.
Fortunately, when I plugged them into my other machine that had Avast installed, it apparently found and removed the virus(-es, -ii, whatever).

It was all fine until today when I brought home a new netbook that had MCAfee antivirus preinstalled and autorun enabled, sadly. I was about to transfer some software from my workstation to this netbook via usb and *wham!* - "Virus detected!"
That's the same stick that was previously "cleaned" by Avast.

I'm seriously on the verge of going insane and blaming it all on reptile world domination conspiracy. Is this an issue of good vs bad antivirus software? How am I supposed to know whether the AV software detects properly? Which AV should I use? Are there condoms for usb connectors? Do I throw all my computers through window and escape to the wild, Grizzly Adams style?

zapper1998
03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Always format new and used usb sticks with fat32 then format to NTFS...
Had the probs a few times
So all new usb sticks get formated and reformatted, takes a few minutes....

If you have a burner just buy the cd's and burn it to cd...
thats another safe way

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Best thing I use is Eset32 it catches nearly everything , run commodo "free" catches alot of viruses installing on your machine and good firewall "make sure your not running to many virus apps you can create a loop hole that hackers can use to bypass your network " best one i had was i guy opened msword and typed ,youve just been stung " damn i miss the days of Telnet :P that was a fun conversation "humans tend to look for massive data storage , if your on your home pc you should be generally ok ,remember windows has remote assist , which opens ports without your knowledge ,weak point , best thing to do is use linux buts thats another matter , what you dont want is a cmos virus now there good ! .

Viruses used to be about dammaging bat and exe files , now there made to extract data and use your network , but youve probably got the biggest virus running already its called WINDOWS !

usb can be a complete pain ,most antivirus should pick it up straight away , depedant on how up to date it is , B) run a machine thats not connected to the net or network , use this to scan and clean !

also if the file size is smallish , email threw hotmail , MS servers are usually good at picking things up ! when they want to !

Jockomo
03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm seriously on the verge of going insane and blaming it all on reptile world domination conspiracy. Is this an issue of good vs bad antivirus software?

Everyone knows that the viruses are made by the companies that make virus scanners, the reptiles have nothing to do with it. 8~

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
If your really paranoid about chat and file transfer , me and my mate Ross Drew "amazing programmer "wrote ROXCOM 2 basically its MSN chat that direct connects via ip address , dont ask why we wrote , it just there OK LOL .

its free at

http://sourceforge.net/users/ross_drew/

GCL
03-23-2009, 05:27 PM
To effectively keep USB sticks et. al. hardware, this patch/registry hack will do it for you.

http://www.sbslinks.com/967715.htm

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
To effectively keep USB sticks et. al. hardware, this patch/registry hack will do it for you.

http://www.sbslinks.com/967715.htm

:P good software !

mattclary
03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Turn off autorun (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/disable-autoplay-of-audio-cds-and-usb-drives/) and never plug anything into an unprotected machine unless you KNOW it's clean. That, or put a condom on the USB stick. Slows data transfers down a wee bit, but...

Nangleator
03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Damn, I thought the bad old days of floppies with boot sector viruses was all over... Then they make these darn thumb drives with orders of magnitude more storage than my first hard drive...

akademus
03-24-2009, 01:12 AM
We have had a severe virus attack in studio yesterday. I spotted it by seeing 46KB exe files that appeared as folders. And when you double click it it actually opens the folder. Luckily I always have extensions showing in Win, otherwise it would spread all over the place.

Silkrooster
03-24-2009, 01:38 AM
We have had a severe virus attack in studio yesterday. I spotted it by seeing 46KB exe files that appeared as folders. And when you double click it it actually opens the folder. Luckily I always have extensions showing in Win, otherwise it would spread all over the place.

You bring up a good point it is worth having the extensions visible as well as hidden files and hidden OS files. It will may it just that much harder for them to slide a file past you.

shrox
03-24-2009, 04:08 AM
You could say you only accept CDs or DVDs. That might become standard practice anyway. Eventually some big company will get hit hard, then they will institute that rule.

biliousfrog
03-24-2009, 04:36 AM
or put a condom on the USB stick. Slows data transfers down a wee bit, but...

I can't seem to find a condom big enough for my USB stick :D

mattclary
03-24-2009, 06:13 AM
You bring up a good point it is worth having the extensions visible as well as hidden files and hidden OS files. It will may it just that much harder for them to slide a file past you.

Oh HE11 yeah!!! I forgot to mention that one. It really pi55es me off that MS hides file extensions by default. Just another case of them making stuff harder by trying to make it easier. Dumbing down 101.

archijam
03-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Turn off autorun (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/disable-autoplay-of-audio-cds-and-usb-drives/) and never plug anything into an unprotected machine unless you KNOW it's clean. That, or put a condom on the USB stick. Slows data transfers down a wee bit, but...

cheers, that's an easier method :thumbsup:

I just got caught with this today ..

Thought I had outsmarted it by the old rightclick Explore method, but it had added an extra Explore (in bold) to launch itself .. slippery sucker.

doimus
03-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Damn, I thought the bad old days of floppies with boot sector viruses was all over... Then they make these darn thumb drives with orders of magnitude more storage than my first hard drive...

Well, at least the good old floppies had the write-protect switch, didn't they? It wouldn't help much when spreading the infection from the floppy, but at least it did prevent the virus from getting on the floppy in the first place. It was standard practice to write-protect your floppy before sticking it into an unknown machine. It was good to practise safe data transfer, back then.

Not having the ability to write-protect usb sticks is going to destroy the planet!!

I am not believing the words I'm going to write here, but I really do miss the days of late 90s early 2000s when it was either: burn the expensive CDs or send by slow internet connection. Floppies were dead, usb sticks didn't exist or they were 64MB and mega-expensive and everyone was healthy....
These days they've got presentation machines in colleges and companies that are not used for any work besides Powerpoint, and thus have absolutely NO virus protection whatsoever! Stupid!
Obviously, everyone carries their presentations on usb sticks, since CDs are much of a hassle. Stupid! And of course those sticks don't have write-protection. Stupid! Death by Powerpoint.

MicroMouse
03-25-2009, 11:37 AM
I have an old "Apacer" brand USB stick that has a "write protect" switch on it. It is just a slide switch on the side of the stick.

Wayne

doimus
03-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Cherish it dearly...
I have recently shopped for a new stick, and not a single I've checked had that feature. Most of them had some kid of [email protected] software preinstalled that supposedly improves the user experience, though.:rolleyes:

OnlineRender
03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
ahh i hate them , installing there own firmware to windows , takes about 2days for the thing to show you files , whats wrong with autorun.bat

shrox
03-26-2009, 04:12 AM
Is there an anti virus app that can go on a stick?

ToMar
03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Cherish it dearly...
I have recently shopped for a new stick, and not a single I've checked had that feature. Most of them had some kid of [email protected] software preinstalled that supposedly improves the user experience, though.:rolleyes:

You can "build" one for your self.

http://getusb.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/050807a.jpg

Get this tiny Kington "9 in 1" card reader (http://www.getusb.info/kingstons-version-of-a-hatch-back-9-in-1-card-reader/) and a big SD card with lock. Works with Windows 2k and up without the need for extra drivers.