PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX - exceeded 128 points in strand

IMI
03-23-2009, 07:03 AM
In Layout (9.6) I was trying to work with FiberFX and immediately upon activating the strands I made in Modeler with the FiberFX tool, I got the error message, "exceeded 128 points in strand" and it said something else I can't remember. Then it crashed.

So what's that all about and how can I avoid it? Better yet, why does Modeler's FiberFX allow for the creation of fibers that will fail in Layout?
I mean, it knows I'm creating fibers and I would think it would assume I'm intending on using them in Layout... maybe a little warning message would be cool, like "yo dude, no can do..." or something like that.

SplineGod
03-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Make sure you dont have any single point polys.
Unfortunately using fiberfx seems to be a crap shoot.

IMI
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks again.
Yeah, crap shoot... tell me about it. The question I need to ask myself is, do I feel lucky...

SplineGod
03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I managed to get decent result with ffx in production but at a high cost. I havent had the chance to revisit some of those issues but after seeing some of the problems ppl continue to have it looks like alot of the ffx issues are still there.

IMI
03-23-2009, 05:38 PM
You think it's safe to assume they've given up on making ffx work with LW 9.x?
I really would like to see a bug fix for it, but I fear LW is rapidly becoming legacyware, with the advent of CORE. Or probably more like ignoreware.

As it is, I can't do anything with ffx without it turning into an exercise in frustration - bad OGL, weird occurrences, tools simply not working and not resetting and so on.

On the bright side, I have made some nice fuzzy balls, albeit with bizarre, banded shadows. Anything more complicated...well, as you say, a crap shoot.

But I guess we're all set when the demand for fuzzy ball renders returns with a vengeance. ;)

SplineGod
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Welcome to my world :)
I had all of this and more continuously bite us during a very intense TV production schedule. After the pain I took a months vacation and hoped that all this would have finally been fixed by the time I got back. Its really a shame that the same problems are still there.