PDA

View Full Version : HELP With Rendering for Cinema pls

SAHiN
03-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi,

I am currently working on a work to be shown at cinemas..
In Turkey They no longer use 35mm.. Normally they shoot on HD cameras
and use 1920x1080 res. then use some projection device to play it on white screen.

However this work is fully animated..
Any tips and tricks you may have would be greatly appriciated as we are
working on a project that will be FIRST of its kind in Turkey..

Also, since it will be projected on such large medium,
does it really matter to have anti-aliasing turned on ? (on print work we never have anti aliasing).. is it similar to that ?

...and if it should be turned on, how many passes would be good usig perspective camera ?

Anyone have an idea ?? Pleassse help meee :)

Titus
03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
To save time and headaches, render at 720p and scale to 1080p. The following link has some interesting info, just forget the bitterness of the rest:

http://www.battlestarvfx.com/bsg_tutorial_shotbreakoutandlighting.htm

The Dommo
03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Find out if they are going project from something like a Blu-ray player - if so at that resolution you are stuck at 50i or 60i. Otherwise it will be 24p, so 24fps. This could ver much affect your animation timing.

I would definitely use anti-aliasing - for print work, you are using high res images but compressed into a small space. In cinema, you are using medium-high resolution images, but blown big!! You probably want to start with antialiasing on 2 or 3 on the perspective camera, but then use Adaptive Sampling also to smooth out any noisey areas that are left.

For motion blur, with the above settings, I'd try anywhere between 3-6 passes, but it depends on each scene and the amount of movement. You'll need to do you own tests. i was doing something similar myself yesterday for a cinema project we are doing....

SAHiN
03-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys.. however I seem to have struck another problem..
With Perspective camera classic motion blur seems to do nothing with setting of 1
increasing the seting starts the mo-blur yet render times become unbelievably high.
Photoreal mo-blur works yet that also increases the render times a great deal..

What am I doing wrong ?

PS: Adaptive Sapmpling settings ?? amy idea what should they be ?