PDA

View Full Version : Volumetrics

Richard Hebert
03-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I've got a null that I'm attaching a volumetric to. The volumetric is going to be a 'gas jet' in the nozzle of an aircraft engine using an animated procedural texture. I need the volumetric stretch properties to follow the rotation of the parent null. Can this be done?

Richard

Lightwolf
03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
It should work if you parent it and just stretch it. You wouldn't need align to path either (which only works if the item itself is moving... and not the parent item).
Another option for the gas jet would be a volumetric spot light.

Cheers,
Mike

Richard Hebert
03-22-2009, 01:46 PM
The stretching options allow for X,Y,Z and Velocity but when using these the stretching occurs only on that axis. The hypervoxel's movement parents fine but stretch won't rotate outside of the stretch axis even with align to path disabled. Difficult to say if this is normal operation or not (seems rather limited if it is). The spotlight will work for just a general flame coming out of the rear but for the detailed shot that I'm going for there will be 15 of these jets forming the afterburner detail shot and then more hypervoxels creating the heat distortion pass. The difficulty comes when these 15 jets move with the aircraft for the shot. That's when things go wonky. If it were just the camera moving things get easier but all of the other passes have been rendered with the aircraft moving. Test shot and reference photo included.

Richard