PDA

View Full Version : How do I select only Lightwave threads ?

medicalart
03-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Is there a way to selectively view discussion forums? I'm not interested in seeing Tricaster or SpeedEdit threads, but I do want to see all the various Lightwave threads at once.
Any suggestions? thanks

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2009, 08:44 AM
you can collapse them by pressing the - button on the right.....

medicalart
03-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Collapsing the lists in the main view doesn't affect the Quicklinks.

Is there a way to open up the forums and only see new posts for the forums you're interested in?

I'd like to view "Today's posts" (Quicklink menu) for only the Lightwave discussions. Thanks.

paulhart
03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
It should be a user preference that allows us to choose which of the forum sections are included. I have collapsed the sections for my preferences but they always get included in the Quicklink "New Posts." Please make this adjustment.
Paul

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2009, 10:22 AM
True! That bugs me too!

Scazzino
03-22-2009, 10:42 AM
:agree:

I'd love to be able to filter out all those other non-LightWave forums that we may have no interest in... especially all the VT/Speededit stuff, which isn't even available for the Mac.

:bangwall:

ted
03-22-2009, 10:57 AM
NewTek built just what you are looking for. It's called the "LightWave" section.
The problem isn't with the forum, it's with the hundreds of pompus LightWavers that keep posting LightWave stuff where it doesn't belong! :D

I know I'll get beat up over this, but LightWave has the most sections yet the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS" thread keeps getting filled up by you guys. There are many people that don't want to read LightWave stuff, yet we have to sort through all your stuff.

Whenever a VT or TriCaster question gets asked here you guys tell him to go to their own section.
And now you can't figure how to only read what you want?
Post where it belongs! SIMPLE!!!

I say this partly toung in cheek and with sarcasm, but I'm still making the suggestion! :thumbsup:

Scazzino
03-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Not really. That's not the problem. The problem is that the "New Posts" link shows new posts in all sections... We'd like to be able to set it so it only shows "New Posts" in the LightWave sections... if that's all we are interested in...

:D

UnCommonGrafx
03-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Ha,
It's not enough SE and VT posts to be a distraction!

Nonetheless, check this out:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/search.php?f={A Number goes here that corresponds to which forum you are in.}&do=getnew
**Props to Jen (CelShader) et al for sharing this tip recently.

If you roll over a link you on the main newtek forum page you can see the number:
167 - User LW Community
http://www.newtek.com/forums/search.php?f=167&do=getnew
22 - Support
165 - Technique discussions
As a few examples. Give it a shot.

RenderBlur
03-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks for this useful tip! I just used this to setup five links for myself, one to each LW forum, and it works perfectly.

-Jim

medicalart
03-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Doesn't seem to work on the Mac, though. The rollover produces text but no number.
I'll keep looking...

Kuzey
03-23-2009, 07:53 AM
You can also use rss if you want:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94276

Kuzey

medicalart
03-23-2009, 08:23 AM
I can't find Jen's original post. Do you use individual browser links to get the new posts?
Or do you use multiple numbers at once separated by commas? Thanks.

PIZAZZ
03-23-2009, 09:52 AM
NewTek built just what you are looking for. It's called the "LightWave" section.
The problem isn't with the forum, it's with the hundreds of pompus LightWavers that keep posting LightWave stuff where it doesn't belong! :D

I know I'll get beat up over this, but LightWave has the most sections yet the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS" thread keeps getting filled up by you guys. There are many people that don't want to read LightWave stuff, yet we have to sort through all your stuff.

Whenever a VT or TriCaster question gets asked here you guys tell him to go to their own section.
And now you can't figure how to only read what you want?
Post where it belongs! SIMPLE!!!

I say this partly toung in cheek and with sarcasm, but I'm still making the suggestion! :thumbsup:

I agree completely with Ted. :thumbsup: :D

I have many TriCaster/VT clients/friends that I have sent to the forums to get involved in the community. Several have mentioned to me that it seems like the Lightwavers have the run of the place and they are hesitant to get involved. Maybe it is just that the wavers have more time on their hands but the first place a newcomer stops is in the General Discussion but all that is there is LW conversations. Why is that? Don't even get me started on the number of irrelevant threads there too.

medicalart
03-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Which is exactly why we need better ways to screen discussions. I'm not sure why Newtek just doesn't segregate the discussions for products.

Scazzino
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Ha,
It's not enough SE and VT posts to be a distraction!

Nonetheless, check this out:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/search.php?f={A Number goes here that corresponds to which forum you are in.}&do=getnew
**Props to Jen (CelShader) et al for sharing this tip recently.

If you roll over a link you on the main newtek forum page you can see the number:
167 - User LW Community
http://www.newtek.com/forums/search.php?f=167&do=getnew
22 - Support
165 - Technique discussions
As a few examples. Give it a shot.

Yes, I've seen that workaround, which is great if you want to follow one forum and its children... the problem though is there is no top-level LightWave forum, there are a bunch, and you can't use that trick to follow more than one root thread... AFAIK...

One simple fix might be for NewTek to create two main top-level forums... LightWave and Other Products. Then put all the current forums under one of those... then we could easily use that URL bookmark trick to see what's new for LightWave and its children...

Or, since the LightWave forum is so vast, with many groups of sub forums it might make more sense to create two completely separate forums with different URLS. One for LightWave and all its subforums and a separate one for NewTek's other products...

PIZAZZ
03-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Which is exactly why we need better ways to screen discussions. I'm not sure why Newtek just doesn't segregate the discussions for products.

So just to be clear, you are in favor of more aggressive moderation? Having one of the moderators put a thread in the right place if it wonders out into the wild?

I personally would love that but I am not so sure some of the others around here would like the "man" exercising his power.

PIZAZZ
03-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Or, since the LightWave forum is so vast, with many groups of sub forums it might make more sense to create two completely separate forums with different URLS. One for LightWave and all its subforums and a separate one for NewTek's other products...

I disagree. I believe better moderation or better yet, self control of the members themselves is better than separation. Some of us users have both LW and "other products".

medicalart
03-23-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd like to be able to go to "Today's Posts" and pick 5 or 6 categories out of the dozens that Newtek has listed. They just have to put little check boxes next to the forum categories, or a user generated list to screen the forums.

Pick your forums, pick "today's posts" and you're done.

There doesn't need to be moderator involvement.

PIZAZZ
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd like to be able to go to "Today's Posts" and pick 5 or 6 categories out of the dozens that Newtek has listed. They just have to put little check boxes next to the forum categories, or a user generated list to screen the forums.

Pick your forums, pick "today's posts" and you're done.

There doesn't need to be moderator involvement.

I actually do that now by using the direct url for a forum section saved as a favorite in my browser. Works perfectly to get to the TriCaster section or VT section directly. Of course having choices in Vbulletin to allow you to do that using the bulletin board software would be nice too. Only problem I can see is there are so many hacks on the vbulletin software to get things the way we see them now.

Scazzino
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I actually do that now by using the direct url for a forum section saved as a favorite in my browser. Works perfectly to get to the TriCaster section or VT section directly. Of course having choices in Vbulletin to allow you to do that using the bulletin board software would be nice too. Only problem I can see is there are so many hacks on the vbulletin software to get things the way we see them now.

The problem is that for us LightWave only users (the subject of this thread) there are too many separate LightWave thread section's that we'd have to bookmark to see what's new in LightWave threads... LW User Community, LW Support, LW Techniques, LW Developers, LW Classifieds, Hardcore and LW Open Beta...

One main top-level LightWave area, under which all the other LW threads were grouped would at least let us just have one "what's new" bookmark that would show only LightWave stuff... but that would require another level of hierarchical grouping, which I'm not sure if VBulletin can do...

An even better solution would be to have a preferences setting for the What's new and QuickLinks that would let us select which forum sections we'd want included in those links, but I don't know if VBulletin can do that either... If it can't, separating the LightWave forums into their own separate forum might be the easiest solution...

akademus
03-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Now the real question is how to select only useful threads instead of everything else showing around here :D

Scazzino
03-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Now the real question is how to select only useful threads instead of everything else showing around here :D

Now that, is the right question... :hey: