PDA

View Full Version : Google Street my car driving with licence plate !

OnlineRender
03-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Heheh i found my car, me and wife driving on Google Street i blocked the licence with mspaint for speed :) lol think ill have to report and get my licence plate removed but i followed the car for about 10 miles just to make sure i got my image taken

Brilliant .................................

if this is what googles got , whats the goverment got ?????

http://www.onlinerender.com/CARSTEVENS1.bmp

Iain
03-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Have to say I don't get all this concern over google.

If you are out in the street where everyone can see you, what's the problem with someone taking a photo?

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Cool. I'm on google street view twice!

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=52.367794,4.902786&panoid=Zdy4N1kBQzB0xv4zFFctZQ&cbp=12,293.930562677409,,0,7.201378539493302&ll=52.367883,4.902906&spn=0,359.973822&z=16

And here looking over my shoulder.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=52.367794,4.902786&panoid=Zdy4N1kBQzB0xv4zFFctZQ&cbp=12,293.930562677409,,2,7.201378539493302&ll=52.367883,4.902906&spn=0,359.973822&z=16

O yes...I do have a face, but they blurred it out so you wouldn't recognize me! ;)

zapper1998
03-22-2009, 09:13 AM
cool...

SBowie
03-22-2009, 09:48 AM
How on earth did you find those images? Just by checking around your neighbourhood?

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I've been a student at the Dutch Film Academy. Some student recognized me and send me the link. When I browsed a little further I saw myself again on a different day. Also I saw the google dudes taking the pictures. didn't know it was for google street view of course.

It looks like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/google%2Bearth%2Bstreet%2Bview%2Bcamera%2Bcar/itsrainingmen/2007/2007%202008/081017-google-streetview-olympiaple.jpg

SBowie
03-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow - weird looking rig. I'd be afraid of snagging low handing wires with it! Thanks for the explanation.

OnlineRender
03-22-2009, 10:27 AM
How on earth did you find those images? Just by checking around your neighbourhood?

hehe , i was sitting at the lights . "the picture " when i noticed the google cameras on top of the car , so i went hard right over took a few cars , just to sit behind it for several miles :P u can track my journey from bishopbrigs to kirkintilloch about 4 miles along counrty roads :P so when the sofware was updated i went looking and whalla im there , at one point ive got my hand out of the car waving , sad i know ... but i couldnt help myself , the ironic thing where the picture was taken if you look left , you can see my mother-inlaw driving with my kid in the back seat ..

amazing software , the images are excellent and well rendered together .

ted
03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
We had the Google truck in Fresno, CA recently. Those guys are all over the globe. Makes you wonder how much money they are making to take on such a labor intensive agenda. :bowdown:

OnlineRender
03-22-2009, 11:27 AM
heheh i reported the image and asked them to change my plate to "onlinerender" think they will do it ?? hope they do that would be wicked !

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Hahaha that's a good one! LOL

Rod Seffen
03-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Why does it matter if anyone sees your plate number on google? No one would have known it was you until you pointed it out.
For anyone seeing it on google it's just a car.
You deliberately follow the google car for miles just to make sure you get on it, and then complain when they didn't remove every pixel of your plate number..

cresshead
03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Why does it matter if anyone sees your plate number on google? No one would have known it was you until you pointed it out.
You deliberately follow the google car for miles just to make sure you get on it, and then complain when they didn't remove every pixel of your plate number..

yeah the lengths some people go to seek attention for themselves is bizzare and to approach google to remove pixels after you stalked down the google car....odd doesn't cover it really:screwy:

OnlineRender
03-22-2009, 01:28 PM
:chicken:

Was wondering how long it would take you to moan ! longer than originally thought ! as for removing my licence plate i couldnt care less , i have Northen Irish Plate anyway ! would be nice if the replaced the pixels with my screen name !
privacy laws are clamping hard on google , i sent them a rather nice letter saying i loved the technology and dont mind that plates there but it would be nice if they could change it

Peace

Matt
03-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Have to say I don't get all this concern over google.

If you are out in the street where everyone can see you, what's the problem with someone taking a photo?

You might be snapped by Google's van leaving the 'other woman's' house, and your wife could find it!

Not that I have a wife! Besides, my Town is probably too small and insignificant to warrant Googles attention! :D

OnlineRender
03-22-2009, 01:57 PM
My concern is that theres alot of images that google havent noticed , for example nacked children playing in there garden when there having a BBQ "thats just not right", other one in the newspaper is a man walking out a sexshop "which i thought was funny ".
to be honest its a fine line , anywhere that dosnt have cctv installed can be blocked or removed if the public reports it ...

OnlineRender
03-22-2009, 02:02 PM
You might be snapped by Google's van leaving the 'other woman's' house, and your wife could find it!

Not that I have a wife! Besides, my Town is probably too small and insignificant to warrant Googles attention! :D

Doubt it , alot of pictures are still getting rendered and compiled into google , but there agenda is to go everywhere ............................

Rod Seffen
03-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Well, as usual with these things, if you've nothing to hide then it's not a problem. If you are up to no good then you'd be concerned about these photos.
I'm certainly not one of these people obsessed with privacy for the sake of it, as long as they don't start sticking cameras in my window, I've no problem with it.
Don't do anything in public that you'd later be embarrassed about.

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, as usual with these things, if you've nothing to hide then it's not a problem. If you are up to no good then you'd be concerned about these photos.
I'm certainly not one of these people obsessed with privacy for the sake of it, as long as they don't start sticking cameras in my window, I've no problem with it.
Don't do anything in public that you'd later be embarrassed about.

Exactly what I was thinking! :D

cresshead
03-22-2009, 03:03 PM
bring it on!

google should go everywhere...not just stick to roads!

Iain
03-22-2009, 03:06 PM
for example naked children playing in there garden when there having a BBQ "thats just not right", .

Again, people don't mind that their kids can be seen playing naked in their garden by anyone walking or driving past but if their photo is inadvertently taken, there's a problem.

What is the worst case scenario there?

It's just like the paranoia of the 70's when the kids at my school were told satellites could see us moving around. It somehow seemed dangerous and so much worse than the fact that people could see us with their eyes!

OnlineRender
03-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I have no problems at all with it !, mainly because im out shooting footage everyday ! and all i get is people comming up to me and moaning ,ok we have public release forms and certain measures to avoid confliction , but who cares if your face on TV or other media formats in another 30 or 50 years or whatever youll be dead , my footage will still be on youtube LOL . . . . . . .

talking about footage we made a student video in 2004 i cringe everytime i see it , bad acting bad direction bad camera work .....but still funny REDMAN GREEN MAN here the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neC_zdbld78 CRINGEEEEEE

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2009, 03:25 PM
bring it on!

google should go everywhere...not just stick to roads!

No NO Not in my basement :eek:

HAHAHA just kidding :D

Matt
03-23-2009, 03:39 AM
Well, as usual with these things, if you've nothing to hide then it's not a problem.

Pretty much my philosophy on this too, I was just giving an example. One thing that is worrying though, apparently burglars are using Street View to check out potential properties to rob, getting the lay of the land, escape routes etc.

It's sad that there will always be lowlifes exploiting what is a useful service.

JBT27
03-23-2009, 04:06 AM
Has anyone actually chased a Google car then?

Seriously, video them, pull up alongside and shove a camera in their faces, follow them to lunch, to coffee, home, film the kids, the wife, get interviews, post it all on the web, then go pester their parents and grandparents for the family album, and while you're at it, video them as well.

Meanwhile back at Google HQ, our team has selected another Google employee and is busily following them around all day.....

And actually, as Matt says, the idea that Google might be contributing to crime by giving pondlife the heads-up on certain streets and people, is actually entirely valid, and disturbing.

The argument that if you are doing no wrong, then you have nothing to worry about, actually highlights the big flaw in Google's idea. If the vast majority of people are doing no wrong, then all you have is webcam footage of everyday nothing - no disrespect to OnlineRender and his wife, of course.....or that man in the car in front.....and actually, just who IS that??!!!

If Google are intent on bringing the world closer together, blah blah bull, then actually I'd be very grateful for streaming webcams placed around the world so I can see interesting stuff.....or more locally, I'd be very happy to log-on to views of areas of the coast around where I am, and the Welsh mountains, whatever.....

Has anyone sent Google a copy of Ray Bradbury's 'The Pedestrian'?

Julian.

Iain
03-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Has anyone actually chased a Google car then?

Seriously, video them, pull up alongside and shove a camera in their faces, follow them to lunch, to coffee, home, film the kids, the wife, get interviews, post it all on the web, then go pester their parents and grandparents for the family album, and while you're at it, video them as well.

Why?

The idea that criminals can get more from looking at street view than going along a street on foot (looking over walls, peering in windows, checking when people are out, etc, etc) just seems ludicrous to me.

It's paranoia fuelled by dystopian sci fi.

Matt
03-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Why?

The idea that criminals can get more from looking at street view than going along a street on foot (looking over walls, peering in windows, checking when people are out, etc, etc) just seems ludicrous to me.

It's paranoia fuelled by dystopian sci fi.

True, but it's less suspicious doing it from the comfort of your own home / PC than risking being spotted by some neighbourhood watch scheme.

JBT27
03-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Exactly! Beat me to it!!

Julian.

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Also there not only looking for escape routes , but what windows and doors you have installed to see if there easliy broken , trust me my dad runs a Glazing company , some manufactures are weaker than others! , i wish they would put more effort into exploring space rather than earth !

Damn i missed my 200 post celebration i would post a new thread but im scared Rod will slaughter me LOL

Iain
03-23-2009, 04:34 AM
As I said, you'll get a much better look at details like locks actually walking past than by looking at low res images. You'll also get current info on alarms and occupancy.
It's not illegal to walk up a street and not every crim has a mask and a swag bag these days.

Actually there's a dodgy looking bloke walking past my house now. He's looking over here. Should I call the police, take a description, follow him and do a bit of vigilante scare tactics?

Hmm or am I just being a loon?

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 04:42 AM
As I said, you'll get a much better look at details like locks actually walking past than by looking at low res images. You'll also get current info on alarms and occupancy.
It's not illegal to walk up a street and not every crim has a mask and a swag bag these days.

Actually there's a dodgy looking bloke walking past my house now. He's looking over here. Should I call the police, take a description, follow him and do a bit of vigilante scare tactics?

No just goto google earth and you will see him :) ohhh wait its not realtime , now thats a shame ! :P

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 04:49 AM
Ive uploaded the hypercam capture of google earth showing my car with plates and the distance between me and my mother inlaws car with my kid in the back seat , just to show you how close it was and how ironic where both in the same section , kinda cool to be honest !

www.youtube.com/onlinerender

3DGFXStudios
03-23-2009, 05:14 AM
why didn't you post the google link like I did ;)

JBT27
03-23-2009, 05:27 AM

No, you're not, in all seriousness. Though targetting someone for what they look like is daft.....but it's still a reasonable point. If I do see someone loitering around outside and looking at houses, it does arouse suspicion - why wouldn't it? If someone actually walks up to your house, looks around and then has no explanation for being there when challenged, or worse runs for it (as happened to next door awhile back), then the suspicion is well-founded, and yeah, you do report that to the police. Obviously.

But it just goes to my point about why Google are even bothering to do this, what's the point? Google Street View is nice - I like that - well known places you can look around and wander along streets for a short way. It's not about people, and it's nice to have that, like Google Earth.

But this just smacks of voyeurism.

Julian.

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 05:34 AM
why didn't you post the google link like I did ;)

Good thinking batman , the compression great that was 1.2 gig uncompressed AVI to 10 meg SWF format ! not bad seems to best the best for youtube

biliousfrog
03-23-2009, 05:36 AM
There have been loads of cases of criminals using false plates, I even read of an employee running up speeding fines using copies of his bosses number plates...it's probably wise to ask for your plates to be blurred.

Why has this google street view suddenly become such a big thing?...has it finally reached UK? I've been using it to check out where clients work for the last couple of years in US and Australia...it's much cheaper than getting a flight.

3DGFXStudios
03-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Good thinking batman , the compression great that was 1.2 gig uncompressed AVI to 10 meg SWF format ! not bad seems to best the best for youtube

I meant like this: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=52.367794,4.902786&panoid=Zdy4N1kBQzB0xv4zFFctZQ&cbp=12,293.930562677409,,0,7.201378539493302&ll=52.367883,4.902906&spn=0,359.973822&z=16

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=52.367794,4.902786&panoid=Zdy4N1kBQzB0xv4zFFctZQ&cbp=12,293.930562677409,,2,7.201378539493302&ll=52.367883,4.902906&spn=0,359.973822&z=16

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 05:48 AM
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=g64+3ex&sll=55.915352,-4.223428&sspn=0.006409,0.019226&g=g64+3ez&ie=UTF8&ll=55.913343,-4.218621&spn=0.00641,0.019226&z=16&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=55.911099,-4.220919&panoid=zWKfruOtUSZGBMN144IKNg&cbp=12,292.1801650607853,,0,17.756696428571434

LIKE THAT you mean :P

3DGFXStudios
03-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Yea cool! That's it! Now I can browse thru your neighborhood, whoohoo!!!

Rod Seffen
03-23-2009, 06:04 AM
What a bunch of paranoid maniacs some of you guys are. You don't what any visual record of you or your house to exist in case a criminal might try to rob or kill you?

3DGFXStudios
03-23-2009, 06:15 AM
What a bunch of paranoid maniacs some of you guys are. You don't what any visual record of you or your house to exist in case a criminal might try to rob or kill you?

Yea!! watch out! Before you know it I'm drinking tea with your mommy! :D ;)

biliousfrog
03-23-2009, 06:48 AM

It is rediculous to think that a theif would stake out a building based on out of date photo's with no possible way of knowing when a person is at home. You'd also have to be extremely unlucky to be caught doing something you shouldn't by a casual browser...and if you do, well, who's fault is that?

colkai
03-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Wonder if they've ever caught anyone driving whilst using a mobile :p

3DGFXStudios
03-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Wonder if they've ever caught anyone driving whilst using a mobile :p

I think so! There are sites with links to cool moments like a car crash happening just in front of the camera. People falling of their bikes etc....

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 08:00 AM
no but the caught a guy peeing in a bus stop and police knew who it was , and made an arrest how unlucky is that , im on the m8 looking for people using there phone , mahahahah google stalker !

EDIT hahaha i was on for 10 minutes and see at least 4 people ! great

OnlineRender
03-23-2009, 08:19 AM
TOP 10 THINGS TO SEE ON GOOGLE Street < theres one where a police cat pulls the google cam over hehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4iUL_G1MAo&feature=related

biliousfrog
03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
The Borat and no photography sign made me laugh

cresshead
03-23-2009, 08:33 AM
the thing 'd like to see would be an image of the google camera car on microsoft map view!

who's watching who!

Kuzey
03-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Haha...forget the streets and put one in the room where Core is developed and make it live video as well :hey:

Kuzey

Matt
03-24-2009, 03:16 AM
It is rediculous to think that a theif would stake out a building based on out of date photo's with no possible way of knowing when a person is at home. You'd also have to be extremely unlucky to be caught doing something you shouldn't by a casual browser...and if you do, well, who's fault is that?

The worry is not staking out, you'd need a live feed for that obviously, but becoming familiar with the layout of the property.

Iain
03-24-2009, 03:30 AM
The worry is not staking out, you'd need a live feed for that obviously, but becoming familiar with the layout of the property.

So what does street view give criminals that they can't get from walking or driving down a street? Nothing. And they will do that anyway.

Seriously, they could film the streets themselves without anyone noticing if it helped. At the time they were interested in.

Stunt Pixels
03-24-2009, 03:37 AM
So what does street view give criminals that they can't get from walking or driving down a street? Nothing. And they will do that anyway.

Oh crap! My street is on google now... Not worries about criminals or privacy, or whatnot, just means bloody council can see what my house looked like before my alterations! All building changes here are meant to be approved by council before going ahead, ooops. Hope they take new photos soon.

Iain
03-24-2009, 03:43 AM
just means bloody council can see what my house looked like before my alterations! .

Haha now that is a worry.
What was it someone said about having nothing to worry about if you've done nothing wrong?

Matt
03-24-2009, 04:39 AM

Seriously, they could film the streets themselves without anyone noticing if it helped. At the time they were interested in.

Anonymity?

Thing is:

a) I'm not that bothered really

b) I'm just saying it _could_ be used for malicious purposes

meshpig
03-24-2009, 04:50 AM

Oh, cheer up. I bet you "grew up in shoe box in middle of road" too? (monty python)

I thought GS was pretty bad when I first saw our street, though they had blurred the plates nicely.

More recently, I Googled where I grew up in London, haven't been there for nearly 40 years.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=76+Chislehurst+Rd,+Orpington,+Kent+BR6,+United+K ingdom&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=16.345334,39.375&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FfsCEAMd238BAA&split=0&layer=c&cbll=51.381023,0.098923&panoid=7StIHKl9O_4e9_IZ_pgUww&cbp=12,312.9918598944436,,0,-0.9263392857142858&ll=51.385495,0.098813&spn=0,359.980774&z=16&iwloc=addr

At least I ain't that sentimental to actually bother going there and it's just one of many places on earth I've called home.

Ouch, it looks a lot greener now than the outer suburban desert it must have been in those days.

m

DiedonD
03-24-2009, 05:18 AM
Yeah call them trucks to come here and make an entire roadmap of my city :thumbsup:

Thataway, will have more images and more ideas of whats in here!

Whom do I call so as to get them trucks over here? ;)

So far in Prizren its only a number of taken pictures in all languages :)

Alot better than what was before, when it too was used to show of my country as bad again!

3DGFXStudios
03-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Anonymity?

Thing is:

a) I'm not that bothered really

b) I'm just saying it _could_ be used for malicious purposes

you could use a hammer for malicious purposes too! :D