PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 3.5 for my Amiga!

klx300r
03-21-2009, 07:04 PM
total newb here ..always wanted to use Lightwave on my Amiga back in the day & finally got a full complete copy of 3.5 for my 1200 last week....right now I'm messing with a small logo design but would like more font types...anyone know where I can get some?
I'm hoping I'm not the only Amigan left using Lightwave:D

cc3d
03-22-2009, 05:54 AM
My guess would be that you are the only Amigan left using Lightwave. As good as it was in it's time, it's likely out-gunned by Sketchup now and Sketchup is free.

tonyvdb
03-23-2009, 10:38 AM
My guess would be that you are the only Amigan left using Lightwave. As good as it was in it's time, it's likely out-gunned by Sketchup now and Sketchup is free.

Nope, hes not the only one using the Amiga with Lightwave. I still do quite regularly but I also have a Toster Flyer system so rendering and playing back sequences is quite easy other than it taking a long time to render.

Fonts can be used from any font library available for the Amiga including the desktop workbench fonts. Check out aminet.net for lots of free fonts. You could also make your own using lightwave modeler not a difficult process at all.

klx300r
03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Nope, hes not the only one using the Amiga with Lightwave. I still do quite regularly but I also have a Toster Flyer system so rendering and playing back sequences is quite easy other than it taking a long time to render.

Fonts can be used from any font library available for the Amiga including the desktop workbench fonts. Check out aminet.net for lots of free fonts. You could also make your own using lightwave modeler not a difficult process at all.

thanks Tony:thumbsup: good to know Amiga still lives today:D

tonyvdb
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
You would actually be surprised as to how many people still use the Amiga, There is an Amiga club here in Edmonton that still meats once a month and has about 20 regular members. Ive gone a couple of times.

Its to bad the 1200 wont run the Toaster Flyer. Thats a huge amount of fun and can be found for really cheep on ebay. Its great for family videos and school projects for the kids. I've even done some promotional videos for businesses here with it and always get great feedback.

People just cant understand how a computer from 1990 with only 18mb of ram can do what it does.:thumbsup:

Now it mostly sits there as the family takes up alot of my time.

jburford
03-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Just powered up my Amiga 2000 Video Toaster (4000) This morning to see if it still is working! Did use it a bit lately for some ImageFX and also some of the 3D Scene Maker thing.

csandy
03-29-2009, 07:01 AM
I just threw out my Amiga. Sold my CDTV some months ago to someone in Czechoslovakia.

tonyvdb
03-30-2009, 12:10 PM
I just threw out my Amiga.

Why on earth would you do that! Amigas if in working order still sell on eBay for lots of $$ even in no working condition you can still get good cash for them.
A working basic A4000 will sell for at least $400
An A3000 tower for a bit more
An A2000 will get you $250 at least

klx300r
03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
You would actually be surprised as to how many people still use the Amiga, There is an Amiga club here in Edmonton that still meats once a month and has about 20 regular members. Ive gone a couple of times.

Its to bad the 1200 wont run the Toaster Flyer. Thats a huge amount of fun and can be found for really cheep on ebay. Its great for family videos and school projects for the kids. I've even done some promotional videos for businesses here with it and always get great feedback.

People just cant understand how a computer from 1990 with only 18mb of ram can do what it does.:thumbsup:

Now it mostly sits there as the family takes up alot of my time.

Great to hear Tony! yes I know the Toaster on the 4000 is the creme de la creme of Amiga goodness !.we have an active Commodore & Amiga group here in TO but I havent attended it in years ...young family & all but I still adore my 1200 with Blizzard [email protected] and a 2GB CF as my main DF0..lotsa fun :thumbsup:

klx300r
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Why on earth would you do that! Amigas if in working order still sell on eBay for lots of $$ even in no working condition you can still get good cash for them.
A working basic A4000 will sell for at least $400
An A3000 tower for a bit more
An A2000 will get you $250 at least

those numbers are actually a bit conservative:confused: 1200 with accelerator cards, 3000's and 4000's reach crazy prices on ebay..better off trying to find them locally on craigslist or garage sales nowadays

prospector
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Still use my 4000T here all the time.

tonyvdb
03-31-2009, 08:32 AM
those numbers are actually a bit conservative:confused: 1200 with accelerator cards, 3000's and 4000's reach crazy prices on ebay..better off trying to find them locally on craigslist or garage sales nowadays

So true, the reason Amigas with accelerators sell so high or for that matter just the accelerators is because the new OS4.1 is now out and requires an accelerator to work. I'm still using OS3.5

Now I just need to try and figure out how to fix my intermittent problem with my A4000, I sometimes get the Green screen at startup (means bad chip ram) however I have reset the chip ram into the socket and cleaned the contacts. I'm not sure why its doing that as wouldn't the chip ram be bad all the time not intermittent?

erikals
03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
klx300r, you have to make a video tutorial... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

csandy
04-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh.... couldn't be bothered. If you look real hard at a landfill in Scarborough you might find it. :D It was one of the crappy all-in-ones. Can't get much toaster love out of those. If it was a tower I MIGHT have tried. There's another 1200 kicking about somewhere, but when I find it, that's heading to Commodore heaven as well.

andrebc
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Hello all,

I just joined the discussion forum after doing my taxes (yeah!) and I'm somewhat reluctant to ask questions regarding this thread. I too recently acquired a toaster 4000 for my perfectly preserved A2000. Problem is, I received the hardware, but no accompanying literature. Could someone point me to a source for a Toaster 4000 manual or instructions for adding this card to my Amiga? :help: I have a PAR and a TBC IV to add as well, but I do have the manuals for these. Many thanks. I'm glad to see that the Amiga is still alive and somewhat well....

tonyvdb
04-08-2009, 08:39 AM
To add the Toaster 4000 card to the amiga it needs to go in the top slot in your A2000 (the one closest to centre of the mother board) The TBC and Par cards go in the Zorrow II slots below that.
What version of the software do you have?

settlement
04-16-2009, 03:28 PM
To add the Toaster 4000 card to the amiga it needs to go in the top slot in your A2000 (the one closest to centre of the mother board) The TBC and Par cards go in the Zorrow II slots below that.
What version of the software do you have?

Tony, you couldn't be more wrong. Have you ever even *seen* an Amiga 2000? Please don't go spreading misinformation like this -- you could cause someone to break their Amiga!

The video slot in an Amiga 2000 is on the far edge of the machine. It is to the right of the power supply and floppy drive riser. It is directly adjacent to the Video port on the back of the computer.

- Tim

DiscreetFX
04-24-2009, 06:30 PM
@andrebc

eBay is your friend.