PDA

View Full Version : MDD from Blender + FiberFx. Hair left behind when animated.

Wolvy_UK
03-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi guys,

I can usually find my answers to problems without asking for help by checking these forums, but this time I' m stuck.

I've been trying out Blender for animating recently and got an MDD animation from it into Lw, all working great, using mdd pointer plugin. Then I tried adding hair to the object and trying out Fiber Fx and hair dynamics and I got a test of that working too. However, when I tried to have MDD animating the object and the hair with dynamics the hair kept getting left behind on frame 1 while the object moved about.

Thanks to William's videos I can get it all working if I add a skeleton and animate it in Lw, but not when using an MDD file to animate the model.

Anyone got it working ?

SplineGod
03-21-2009, 09:49 PM
The problem is that those videos are only somewhat useful since Fiberfx has changed dramatically since those videos were made.
Depending upon which version of LW youre using FFX didnt work with mdd files.
If youre using 9.6 FFX sometimes doesnt work on displaced geometry unless you turn on the opengl fibers. Give that a try and see if it doesnt start working.

Kevbarnes
03-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi

I've got similar problems - see post

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96539

For which there have been no replies - I ended up using FibreFX in Layout and restricting all sculpting/directional changes using Gradients and weightmaps eg. I used one on the Gravity Tab with neg and Positive weights to make hair go in different directions.

This seems the only way I can get the hair to deform with the mesh along with a morph.

Wolvy_UK
03-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm using LW 9.6 gold release. I already had Open GL fibers on. Is there an MDD plugin I should be using to make the hair stick to the object ? There's so many MDD plugins about that I don' t know what they all do.

Larry, how would you go about adding hair to an MDD animated object yourself, what would be your process ? I' ve got the hair parented to the body and the scalp fixed surface in FFX and the hair still won' t move from frame 1.

When I animate with MDD and have cloth dynamics for the hair, the hair layer just stays there and the object just collides with it and moves the hair about instead of the hair moving WITH it. See pic of woman.

When I do it all in Lw and parent the hair layer to the body and also make the hair layer use the skeleton from object ( tip from William' s videos ), it all works.

I only want to use Blender because there' s some nice free rigs available and the rigging tools look nice.

bryguy
03-22-2009, 01:12 PM
dponts point info node will get the job done for you...

bryguy
03-22-2009, 01:47 PM
you will also need node item motion from dpont. win only...

basicaly you want to have node motion applied to the hair. and use the point info node to get a point position and rotation from the body and use it to drive the position and rotation of the hair... it may take some tweeking, but it will work well...

SplineGod
03-22-2009, 01:49 PM
If the woman is already animated as an mdd file you can use editfx to pick a point on the scalp and generate a motion path. A null is created and you can parent the hair to that and then run your dynamics on it.

You can also use Dponts point info node as Bry suggested.

You can also export the character from blender using FBX and then import into LW. Ive done that with a blender rig before and it came in.

precedia
03-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I am not sure if this is your issue, but I had a similar problem when animating an object (not using MDD, but directly within Layout using the character's bone rig).

Hair would be left behind if the mesh was subd and I didn't set the "Subdivision order" in the object's Geometry property tab to something other than "First."

In my case I set the subdivision order to Last and then the hair moved along with the animated mesh.

I have no idea if a similar setting is required when using MDD, but it appears that for standard animation of subd meshes it is required to avoid hair being left behind.

Daniel

Wolvy_UK
03-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks guys, I' ll try all your answers out today.

Thanks Precedia, but I already got it working in Lightwave when not using Mdd file ( see blue guy pic).
I could rig and animate it in LW, but I found it more enjoyable and easier to animate in Blender after playing with some Blender rigs, so I just wanted to get some animation from blender plus use Fiber Fx with it, which was the problem I was having.

Wolvy_UK
03-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Success !

I tried all three suggestions and only got the edit fx and null working in the end.

Fbx came in with bones all over the place, object lying down and just looked a mess, so I gave up trying to fix that.

I tried the nodes and plugged nodes everywhere but could' nt get that working ( My fault because I don' t know much about nodes ).

After some trial and error I got the null and motion path and got the hair parented to it and then ran hair dynamics and it' s all working now, so thanks a lot guys. Next I'll try if it will all work with displacement maps from zbrush.

SplineGod
03-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Ive used nodes to do some pretty cool things and I resort to using them only if theres no other easier/quicker way to do something.
Most of the time I still use layers or something eimple like editfx.
The nice thing about editfx is that it can be used to further tweak your mesh once youve imported the mdd file and see some areas with bad deformations etc.

aaronv2
03-26-2009, 10:31 AM
What I always see is that when there are so many creative suggestions from people and then Larry comes along and suggests such a simple and perfect alternative it makes me appreciate every new piece of information i gain from his posts. just awesome!

SplineGod
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks Aaron,
MUCH appreciated :)