PDA

View Full Version : New demo reel

meatycheesyboy
03-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I haven't produced a demo reel in awhile but just got a copy of CS4 production premium and wanted to do a project in After Effects/Premiere so I decided to do one.

Although I'm posting this here, it admittedly has very little 3D work in it but this is the place I frequent the most so I figured I'd post it up here. Although sparse, all of the 3d work in the reel was done in Lightwave.

At my job I do work exclusively for corporate clients, primarily presentations but also some video work, some web design work and some print work so those are the things I forcused on in the reel.

Anyhow, let me know what you think.

http://www.yourzombieboyfriend.com/

cresshead
03-21-2009, 04:39 PM
very nice!

i so need a showreel...which is why i'm currently makin stuff in lightwave/max/toonboom n zbrush!

borkus
03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Awesome... Love the music. One of the best I've seen in a while.

biliousfrog
03-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Very nice. The design is very sharp, almost like a moving fashion magazine.

I've been struggling to get print illustrations to fit in a reel of animations, your reel has inspired me to spend a bit more time on those areas...without ripping you off ;)

3DGFXStudios
03-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Nice and smooth!!! :thumbsup: :hey:

IMI
03-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Agreed with all the above - very elegant, and the music is perfect. :thumbsup:

meatycheesyboy
03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Wow, thanks for all the kind words everyone. I didn't think I'd get many comments due to there being so little 3d work in it.

biliousfrog, in terms of the way things are presented, I very much took inspiration from some other reels I've seen. As long as the style is different and the work itself (obviously) is different, I don't think anyone would ever accuse you of ripping anyone off. So please, use a similar presentation model if you'd like. BTW, if you haven't seen my comment in your thread, I love the editing in your reel.

JeffrySG
03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Really great job! Very well done! :D

rdolishny
03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Solid work but the URL at the tail for the shot breakdown is broke.
Better yet, your web page should auto-refresh at the end of the video with a link to the breakdown ... or it should be onscreen while the video is playing.

Great work tho!

waly
03-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Interesting interface idea I like that.
Nice Job

realgray
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Awesome stuff. What do you use as a source of music for your reel?

meatycheesyboy
03-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I used the site: http://www.stockmusic.net/

The song I chose was $30. I don't purchase stock music ever so I don't know if this is cheap or expensive but it seemed reasonable to me.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone. I guess my next step is to learn flash and get a site up.

realgray
03-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Sweet, Thanks man. That's actually cheaper than several places that I've been looking. Great choice of music for your reel.

AbnRanger
03-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Actually I would suggest against having a link to a shot breakdown. You don't see any studio's (even one-man studios) doing it. To prospective clients, it's not "need to know info"...to a prospective employer, that's where e-mail attachments come in or a breakdown sheet supplied when sending your reel.

meatycheesyboy
03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Good advice, once I get my site up, I'll probaby replace that bit with the url to my contact page.

Thanks

AbnRanger
03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I really dig your demo reel, BTW. And, when you have time, I think you could enhance it even further by working in 3D mesh "fade in/out's" (over the finished product) of the material you did with LW. It will impress client and employer both to see that you have that capability...when most other designers don't have those skills.
That was the advice I recently got from someone who happens to be at the corporate level with Avid (had been in the CG/Motion Graphics industry over 20+yrs). I've been working on that in addition to trying to finish some other projects to add as well.

Lot of work, isn't it? :D

BigHache
03-26-2009, 05:23 PM
I really like the text design on your reel. Your work is good too. I also like the way you incorporated your print elements. Nicely done. :thumbsup:

meatycheesyboy
03-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks, truth be told, I took alot of inspiration from the loading bar on the watchmen website for the text design.

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

I changed it up a bit to try to differentiate it but it was definitely inspired by it.